PDA

View Full Version : Stalker Veteran Squads- Raven Guard Homebrew

eddtheman
02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
COntinuing to work on my homebrew Raven Guard book (I know FW is doing one, but I am in college and have no idea how theirs will turn out). Next up- Stalker veteran squads.

Stalker veterans are masters of covert operations. Once the scout elements find their target, Stalker veteran squads move in, often spending days laying in wait for the enemy to draw near. When the Drop elements of the Raven Guard move in, the Stalker veteransquads strike from the shadows. Demoralizing the enemy while the jump infantry close in for the kill.

Pts- 125
Ws:4 Bs:4 S:4T:4 W:1 I:4 A:2 Ld:9 Sv 3+
Unit size: 5 Stalker veterans

Wargear
Bolter
Bolt Pistol
Frag & krak Grenades

Special rules
ATSKNF
Combat squads
Chapter Tactics
Strike from the shadows

Options:
Up to two stalker veterans may replace their bolter with one of the following:
Melta gun: 10pts
Plasma gun: 10pts
Flamer: 5 pts
Any stalker veteran may replace their bolter and/or bolt pistol with one of the following:
Pair of Lighting Claws (replaces both bolter and bolt pistol): 25pts
Close combat weapon: free
Lightning claw: 15pts
Power weapon: 15pts
Power fist: 30pts
Any stalker veteran may be equipped with special issue ammunition for 5pts/model

Strike from the shadows- Stalker veterans will hide and wait for the enemy to approach, not giving away theor position until it is too late. A Stalker veteran squad must always deep strike into terrain. They can scatter, but if they land outside of terrain they will mishap; they will not take a dangerous terrain check. They may assault the turn they arrive.

Comments and Criticism welcome

Master Bryss
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Power-armoured Lictors!

If they're going to be sneaky it might also be fluffy to give them the option of Stalker-pattern bolters like Telion's, also for +5 points?

I really like these guys, very Raven Guard.

Atrotos
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
This looks like a lot of fun. Very fluffy.

1. Please space things out a bit. Make use of Bold, colors etc. I promise you it makes a difference. It's so easy to miss things when it's just a stack of text and it would be a shame to sell yourself short when you write nice rules.

2. I'd love to see a character/rule to make these guys scoring/Troops.

3. Powerfist is overcosted, power weapons undercosted.

325 points gets you 10 Assault-after-Deep-Striking marines with 4 power weapon attacks each on the charge - a sure way to annihilate just about any unit in the game that's on foot OR in a transport (since they can take PFs too). This kind of unit more or less automatically takes an enemy held objective the turn they arrive and there's nothing your opponent can really do about it. I would ask you to devise more restrictive rules before I would let you field these guys against me. I realize it's not as cool and a little boring but why not start with 'Infiltrate' and see where it goes?

Master Bryss
02-06-2010, 06:02 AM
If you like your PA Lictors however, you may just keep the squad size at a max of 5.

But yeah, you do need to put power weapons up to 15 to keep it it line with other units. You could also give them the option of a single Lightning Claw, but since that would also cost 15 you'd have to put up the cost of a pair.

eddtheman
02-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Made some changes to points and unit size. Changed the deployment rules, what do you guys think of the new ones.