PDA

View Full Version : 'Fixing' Ripper Swarms

Master Bryss
02-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Another of my side projects, after all the controversy the last one cause this one is safer. Concept stolen from Atrotos:

Do you, as I do, have a bunch of Ripper bases you got in Gaunt and Warrior boxes, like some free McDonalds toy, but don't use them because Rippers, despite having an awesome song, are rubbish?

Me too. That's why I'm fixing it.

Ripper Swarms- Fast Attack choice, 16 points a base:

WS:2, BS:2, S:3, T:3, W:3, I:3, A:4, Ld:5, Sv:6+

Composition: 3-10 Ripper Swarms

Unit Type: Beasts, Swarms

Weapons and Biomorphs: Claws and Teeth, Chitin

Rules: Instinctive Behaviour-Feed, Fearless, Mindless, Swarms, Rending

Options: The entire brood may take:

Spinefists at +5 points a base
Adrenal Glands at +4 points a base
Toxin Sacs at +4 points a base
The Tunnel Swarms ability for +2 points a base

Not much needed to be done, but let me know if they're any better now.

Herald of Nurgle
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Rippers need to not count towards FOC and not count as a Kill Point. Nuff Said.

Master Bryss
02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
If I did that, I think Rippers might get Chaos Spawn Syndrome. They don't use up a slot but you still don't take them.

The rules I've done makes them better as an alternative to Raveners, the only thing is that it phases out Winged Rippers as they basically have the same charge range now.

Atrotos
02-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I wish I had some idea of what Ripper Swarms were like before you changed them so I could actually comment. It does seems like this version of Rippers could actually do something but they're not cheap so I guess that's balance. Nice job.

As it stands I think "Vulnerable to Blasts' is missing but maybe that's part of the 'Swarms' rule?

Thanks for the mention too. Cheers.

Master Bryss
02-06-2010, 06:07 AM
In the new Codex Rippers are Troops, have the same stats I gave them, but only Initiative 2, are Infantry and don't have Rending. The brood options are identical to the ones they have in the Codex.

And yes, Vulnerable to Blasts comes free with the Swarms rule.

Oh yeah, they used to cost 10 points a base.