PDA

View Full Version : Helbrutes

Dylan4President
10-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Hi folks, I've painted up a Dark Vengeance Helbrute for my Night Lords force, and have recently received another two- one of which is another DV Helbrute which I intend to convert using the extra weapons from the Helbrute box. That gives me three Helbrutes to play around with. Any thoughts on how to equip the other two?
Also, I heard one of the Helbrute formations is quite tasty (the one which lets them infiltrate). Is that a free formation or one you have to pay for?
Thanks in anticipation of replies.

Brother Daedulus
10-24-2014, 03:25 PM
I'mm pretty sure the formation your talking about lets them deep strike, can't remember it's name but I know it comes with two other ones and isnt too expensive.

hyudun
10-24-2014, 05:25 PM
The special formations for Helbrutes are in this:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Dataslate-Helbrutes.html

I used to use the Helcult back in 6th ed, but it's near-useless now since those Cultists don't have objective secured in 7th.

With three Helbrutes, you'll want to look at the Mayhem pack, which I believe consists of 3 Helbrutes that can deepstrike and come in on one reserve roll. Their baseline Powerfist & Multimelta combo is pretty good for close-quarters and they'll likely die afterwards anyway, so more incentive to keep them cheap.

Captain Bubonicus
10-25-2014, 08:08 AM
^^^What he said. That's probably the best use of 'em right now - it's a great "distraction" technique to keep your opponent wrong-footed!

The Helcult ain't too bad, IMO. Yah, you lost objective secured, but if memory serves, your cultists are fearless and your Helbrute gets a 3+ cover save from the wall of cultist flesh!

Nol
10-25-2014, 12:52 PM
The best way to run your Helbrutes is straight into the bin.

DrStrangeloveJD
10-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Nol is right. The model is amazing, the rules suck. The best way to run a helbrtue is to omit them.

Thornblood
10-26-2014, 02:54 AM
Am I right in thinking that dreadnought close combat weapons don't strike last? So that thunder hammer is going to go down really well against other dreads for those long rock-em sock-em style combats. Probably best with the multi melta there...

I guess like like all things the weapon loadout can help plug gaps in your army. If you have little long ranged firepower, deploying with las cannon/missiles could be helpful. But depending on your army build.

Macharius
10-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Walkers strike at Imitative, so they will strike before Thunder Hammers.

Charistoph
10-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Walkers strike at Imitative, so they will strike before Thunder Hammers.

Or to put it another way, Unwieldy does not affect Walkers and Monstrous Creatures.

Dave Mcturk
10-28-2014, 12:17 PM
The best way to run your Helbrutes is straight into the bin.

lol. even three is just a fire magnet.

question: what unit can crappy T3 eldar hump all over in close combat ?

answer - 3 hellbrutes ! [they really dont like firedragons/scorpz/warlocks/shinyspearz]

bring back the 4+ iv save ? they might be worth it !

jenkatron
11-02-2014, 05:31 AM
On HELCULT formation

Where do you get the understanding from that the Helcult cultists lost ObSec?

IIRC formations dont change the battlefield role and as long as your list is still Battle Forged you still get ObSec on all Troops.

DWest
11-02-2014, 09:37 AM
On HELCULT formation

Where do you get the understanding from that the Helcult cultists lost ObSec?

IIRC formations dont change the battlefield role and as long as your list is still Battle Forged you still get ObSec on all Troops.
Objective Secured is not a function of being a Troops FOC choice; it is a special rule granted to the units by the Combined Arms Detachment, and possibly a few other places. Unless the Helcult itself states it grants ObSec to the units, they don't get it.

Conversely, you can make an Unbound army that gets ObSec on almost all its models; Pedro Kantor in Codex: Space Marines grants ObSec to all friendly Sternguard with the Imperial Fists Chapter Tactic, so you could take Pedro and fill the rest of your points with drop-pod Sternguard and still get all the joys of ObSec troops and 12 AV ObSec transports.