PDA

View Full Version : Question about sculpting tools

Mizzrym
02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Ive been looking into sculpting tools lately as the makeshift ones I have aren't cutting it anymore. Ive found a metal set I am going to get, but I've also found the silicon rubber ones for blending. There is a soft set and a firm set, same size & shape; which would be the more used/useful set for working with green stuff? also, which specific tip would be most useful if I were to buy them in singles.

The AKH
02-04-2010, 08:32 AM
You probably want a firmer tip for working with green stuff. I would say the most beneficial of the points shown in the picture (for general use, at least) would be the tapered point and the flat chisel.

Grimstone
02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Agree totally with The AKH. You definitely need the firmer tips (usually black) and the two most useful shapes are the tapered point and flat chisel. Having said that, the other shaps do come in handy if you can get the set. Don't forget pleny of, sorry if it's vulgar, spit to keep everything from sticking. Yes , you can use water but it's not as good or readily available. I've also found that liquid glue, such as plastiweld is good for the final smoothing. But you have to use it very sparingly or it's goodbye detail.

Morgrim
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Water based lubricant works well. May not want to buy it at the same time as some of your other hobby supplies though. :P