PDA

View Full Version : Rerolling scatter dice

Nabterayl
02-03-2010, 09:43 PM
You've got it.

"Re-roll the scatter dice" means you can re-roll the scatter die (but not the dice for scatter distance, note) whether you hit or not, yes. If you can only re-roll misses, then you wouldn't be able to re-roll a scatter die that came up "hit."

MightyOrang
Punative rerolls to hit that I've seen are usually in close combat -- where are you seeing punative rerolls to hit in shooting?

but that aside, a 'hit' on a scatter die (say from a mortar) is still a hit and would still have to be rerolled.

bob9801
If a rule says you "may reroll the scatter die" then you can reroll them for whatever reason you feel like right, even when you roll a hit? But when it says you "may reroll all failed to hit rolls" then I would think you could not reroll a "hit" on the scatter die. Is this right?

Lerra
02-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Hmm. We've always played locally that the phrase "the scatter dice" refers to both the 2d6 and the scatter marker. "Dice" is plural, after all, and the 2d6 is part of the same roll. Not that GW has a strict mastery of grammar, but RAW does imply that multiple dice are rerolled.

Nabterayl
Hmm. We've always played locally that the phrase "the scatter dice" refers to both the 2d6 and the scatter marker. "Dice" is plural, after all, and the 2d6 is part of the same roll. Not that GW has a strict mastery of grammar, but RAW does imply that multiple dice are rerolled.
I don't know if this is a British thing or what, but in GW's house style the singular of "dice" is "dice."

Consider, for instance, page 90: "At the end of game turn 5, a player must roll a dice."

Or more to the point, consider page 30: "Roll the scatter dice and 2D6 to see where the shot lands. If the scatter dice rolls a hit symbol the shot lands on target (ignore the 2d6)." "Scatter dice" in that sentence clearly refers to the singular scatter die.

Similarly, page 95: "First place one model from the unit anywhere on the table, in the position you would like the unit to arrive, and roll the scatter dice. If you roll a hit the model stays where it is, but if an arrow is shown ... roll 2d6 to see how many inches the model moves away from the intended position." Again, "scatter dice" can clearly only refer to the singular scatter die; it does not refer to the distance dice.

It's lame, but I think it's pretty incontrovertible that when GW says "scatter dice" it refers only to the scatter die, and not the distance.

vandal
Page 30 Blast weapons and re-rolls states you have to reroll both the scatter and movement dice not just the scatter dice itself on re-rolls.

Its not tucked in with the reroll section on page 2 but miles off!

plasticaddict
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Nabterayl;52946]
Or more to the point, consider page 30: "Roll the scatter dice and 2D6 to see where the shot lands. If the scatter dice rolls a hit symbol the shot lands on target (ignore the 2d6)." "Scatter dice" in that sentence clearly refers to the singular scatter die.QUOTE]

Except in the instance stated under rerolling to hits with scatter dice, in that you are to reroll all of the dice not just the Scatter die. The topic isn't what does scatter dice mean, it's what dice do you reroll on a failed (or sucessful) hit during shooting. This rule says that you reroll all three dice.

Nabterayl
02-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Except in the instance stated under rerolling to hits with scatter dice, in that you are to reroll all of the dice not just the Scatter die. The topic isn't what does scatter dice mean, it's what dice do you reroll on a failed (or sucessful) hit during shooting. This rule says that you reroll all three dice.
Uh ... were we talking about a specific rule? Twin-linked blast weapons arguably re-roll all three dice, sure. Pathfinder Devilfish clearly re-roll only the scatter die. And so on and so forth. I thought the question was just about the meaning of the phrase "Re-roll the scatter dice."

bob9801
02-04-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't remember exactly where I saw it (recently read the CSM, IG, and new Tyranid codices) but I have another question concerning it. In the entry in the table on the last page of the codex I remember it saying twin linked which is the ability to reroll for misses only, but in the specific weapon entry in the codex it said "you may reroll the dice" with no mention of missing.

On a side note, in the IG codex the Deathstrike missile has a range of 12"-unlimited in the back of the codex, and a range of 12"-960" in the entry. If the occasion arises I should need to fire farther than 960" which entry do I follow?

entendre_entendre
02-04-2010, 12:34 AM
unless you're firing it into the next store I think 80 feet is far enough to hit anything, anywhere. :D

Nabterayl
02-04-2010, 12:34 AM
There are some abilities that allow you to just re-roll dice, which ordinarily means both successful and failed rolls. If you can remember the specific place you're looking I'm sure we can give a more targeted answer :p

bob9801
02-04-2010, 01:59 AM
I will have to look again for the entry about rerolling.

With the deathstrike missile though, is there a proffered place to take the information from if a more important discrepancy arises?

Strangleweb
02-04-2010, 03:08 AM

With the deathstrike missile though, is there a proffered place to take the information from if a more important discrepancy arises?

In general the main unit entry is the correct one, and the summary is superceded by it.

Lerra
02-04-2010, 03:42 AM

From the GW Imp Guard FAQ:

Errata
Page 55 – Deathstrike Missile Launcher
Wargear: Deathstrike Missile. The Range on the Deathstrike Missile should be 12"-Unlimited

AbusePuppy
02-04-2010, 03:59 AM
unless you're firing it into the next store I think 80 feet is far enough to hit anything, anywhere. :D

ring ring ring

REDSHIRT: What the...? picks up the phone Hello, Games Workshop Seattle, can I help you?

VOICE: Deathstrike Missile, my b*****s! Scatters three inches to the left, by the way.

REDSHIRT: ...

VOICE: Table number two, centered on Pedro Kantor. C'mon, get on that s***. We need to finish the tournament over here.

REDSHIRT: sighs, turns offscreen Table number two, Deathstrike missile on Pedro, three inches left.

VOICE #2, OFFSCREEN: Motherf***er, not again.

tjkopena
02-04-2010, 09:06 AM
In general the main unit entry is the correct one, and the summary is superceded by it.

Is this still true? It seems like the tendency has been to FAQ to what the summary says; isn't that what happened to both the Death Strike and the Demolisher Cannon in the Space Marine book? I could see the final summary being much easier to check and correct. Given GW's general extreme sloppyness with editing(*) and proofreading, I could believe they struggle to check the book pages, but a designer's giving the summary a once over.

(*) Just got the Tyranid book and it's again letting me down---just glancing through there are obvious missing words and grammar issues all over the place, let alone actual rules issues! They should really hire an elementary school teacher or something to go through these. It's ok in a blog or forum, but not cool in a published, ostensibly high quality book.

BuFFo
Is this still true? It seems like the tendency has been to ERRATA to what the summary says; isn't that what happened to both the Death Strike and the Demolisher Cannon in the Space Marine book?

Fixed.

L192837465
ring ring ring

REDSHIRT: What the...? picks up the phone Hello, Games Workshop Seattle, can I help you?

VOICE: Deathstrike Missile, my b*****s! Scatters three inches to the left, by the way.

VOICE: Table number two, centered on Pedro Kantor. C'mon, get on that s***. We need to finish the tournament over here.

REDSHIRT: sighs, turns offscreen Table number two, Deathstrike missile on Pedro, three inches left.

Someone should really do this at Ard Boyz or some super-large tournament. Just take 3 deathstrikes and bomb everyone else in the tournament.

bob9801
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
From the GW Imp Guard FAQ:

Errata
Page 55 – Deathstrike Missile Launcher
Wargear: Deathstrike Missile. The Range on the Deathstrike Missile should be 12"-Unlimited

Cool Thanks. I am fairely new to the game, where do I find FAQs?

ring ring ring

I was thinking about a gigantic game on a football field or something. 50,000+ points each :) but just calling up random stores and hitting crap with my missiles would be fun.

BlueRonin
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Cool Thanks. I am fairely new to the game, where do I find FAQs?

GW site; Warhammer 40,000 articles; under gaming: Frequently Asked Questions.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat210004&categoryId=600005&section=&aId=3400019