PDA

View Full Version : Chooser of the Slain and Outflank

MightyOrang
02-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Chooser of the Slain says that a model may not infiltrate within 18 inches of it ... does this then mean you could place one on the board edge and thereby wall off a short table edge -- since the outflank is only conferred by virtue of the infiltrate ability ... and it's logical that the Raven would see them coming (Nevermore!).

or do i just need to lay off the glue?

Nabterayl
02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Lay off the glue ;)

A Chooser of the Slain does not take away the infiltrate ability; it just prevents the infiltrate ability from being used to infiltrate to within 18" of the Choose of the Slain. Outflanking is not a use of the infiltrate ability; it's a rule that units with the infiltrate ability are able to use.

Jwolf
02-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I'd agree; lay off the glue.

BuFFo
02-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Moar glue.

slxiii
02-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I've been wondering about this too, perhaps I could re-ask his question with the actual quote from the book.

"Enemy units may not use the Infiltrate rule to deploy within 18" of a Chooser Marker"

The first thing I thought after reading that was "what about outflank?" as outflank is a special deployment using the infiltrate USR.

I don't really have an opinion on it, just thought there might be some interest in the actual wording...

Shavnir
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
The first thing I thought after reading that was "what about outflank?" as outflank is a special deployment using the infiltrate USR.

I don't really have an opinion on it, just thought there might be some interest in the actual wording...

No it isn't, outflank is a special deployment using the outflank USR. Infiltrate gives outflank to troops with it in reserve.

slxiii
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
No it isn't, outflank is a special deployment using the outflank USR. Infiltrate gives outflank to troops with it in reserve.

There is no Outflank USR.

bob9801
02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
"Infiltrate also confers a special outflank move to units of infiltrators that are kept in reserve"
Scouts confers the same thing.

Infiltrating is the placement anywhere on the board during the beginning deployment. I am pretty sure outflanking is not related in any way other than it is conferred by the infiltrate USR.

slxiii
02-08-2010, 12:39 AM
"Infiltrate also confers a special outflank move to units of infiltrators that are kept in reserve"
Scouts confers the same thing.

Infiltrating is the placement anywhere on the board during the beginning deployment. I am pretty sure outflanking is not related in any way other than it is conferred by the infiltrate USR.

No, other than that they both use the same rule to work, they arent related at all.
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that both "infiltrating" and "outflanking" are special deployment types granted by the "Infiltrate" USR.

MarshalAdamar
02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
The Wolves codex says Pg 36 "Enemy units may not use their Infiltrate rule to deploy with in 18" of a Chooser marker"

I think the key word there is "DEPLOY". Outflanking is not a deployment so it’s not affected by the Chooser. Only infiltration during deployment is prohibited.

Out flank away!

slxiii
02-08-2010, 11:19 PM
The Wolves codex says Pg 36 "Enemy units may not use their Infiltrate rule to deploy with in 18" of a Chooser marker"

I think the key word there is "DEPLOY". Outflanking is not a deployment so it’s not affected by the Chooser. Only infiltration during deployment is prohibited.

Out flank away!

I'd agree with that take on it, seems the most logical.

rle68
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
It absolutely boggles the mind how anyone would confuse these two abilities

Infiltrate happens prior to the game and Outflank is a movement( deployment ability) once the game begins. no where in the description does the ability to block units that infiltrate affect anything once the game officially begins