PDA

View Full Version : Netflix shares plunge 27% - It has begun.

Mr Mystery
10-16-2014, 05:32 AM
AIEEEEE! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-2963959)

That'll teach them.

Personally, I find their prices ridiculous, so I buy from Chinese film copiers - they usually come round the pub.

Erik Setzer
10-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Well, they've helped me catch up on a lot of movies and series, and one year's worth of service still seems to be cheaper than a month of cable service, so I've stuck with them. I look at it as, "How many hours of entertainment does Netflix provide for me?" Then compare that to how many hours I get out of other things. It's a better deal than my continued subscription to SWTOR, which I've played more this month than most months in the last year because of the XP boost for subscribers, but still, that's $15 a month. Netflix is, what, $9 a month for the online service? (I'm still on the $8 a month plan grandfathered in for a while, so I'm not quite sure on the prices.)

As for buying from Chinese knockoffs... why not just download stuff at that point? Same thing morally, and you're not giving someone else money for someone else's work. They likely just downloaded a copy anyway.

Mr Mystery
10-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Spoof thread is spoof :p

It's gently mocking a Doom and Gloom thread about GW in Corporate Discussion.

It's still funny if you start a thread, innit :p

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-16-2014, 09:55 AM
I get that this is a spoof thread but I've gone backwards. I have started to hate digital with all the issues I have with playing video online - issues buffering, having to refresh the page, videos not loading, video stuttering or having the audio go out of synch ect - I havent used Netflix (I've used Crunchyroll) but these kind of issues I get with other services put me off. I've gone back to DVD's which are dirt cheap now in the age of Blu-ray, as you get none of those annoying issues I just mentioned. To be fair it might be cos I use a netbook (I can't afford a desktop) but it's still too much frustration for me. Easier to just spend a few quid and get the film or series that way. Recently managed to get all of Twin Peaks on DVD for £12, well worth it.

40kGamer
10-16-2014, 10:15 AM
AIEEEEE! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-2963959)

That'll teach them.

Personally, I find their prices ridiculous, so I buy from Chinese film copiers - they usually come round the pub.

OMG! Netflix is doomed! Personally I prefer the Russian film market copies. :p

Mr Mystery
10-16-2014, 10:24 AM
I get that this is a spoof thread but I've gone backwards. I have started to hate digital with all the issues I have with playing video online - issues buffering, having to refresh the page, videos not loading, video stuttering or having the audio go out of synch ect - I havent used Netflix (I've used Crunchyroll) but these kind of issues I get with other services put me off. I've gone back to DVD's which are dirt cheap now in the age of Blu-ray, as you get none of those annoying issues I just mentioned. To be fair it might be cos I use a netbook (I can't afford a desktop) but it's still too much frustration for me. Easier to just spend a few quid and get the film or series that way. Recently managed to get all of Twin Peaks on DVD for £12, well worth it.

I stream Netflix and Lovefilm through my PS3. Only very occasional issues, typically sorted by a quick reset of the console.

40kGamer
10-16-2014, 10:32 AM
I stream Netflix and Lovefilm through my PS3. Only very occasional issues, typically sorted by a quick reset of the console.

I stream Netflix through a laptop to a big screen. Only have buffer issues on Sundays for whatever reason. Maybe a high traffic day?

Wolfshade
10-16-2014, 01:29 PM
It's not a good film unless you get it obscured while the man gets up to use the loo!

I stream, though I don't have any issues. even when streaming to multiple devices. Chrome casting + 100Mb service ftw.

Anthrax ion pusscabe
10-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Australia has the highest internet piracy rate in the world. Mostly because it takes five years for a show to air here after it came out overseas
There was this TV producer came here to promote a older show at conventions and he had a whole bunch of people saying they where fans of his more recent shows that hadn't actually been released in australia

daboarder
10-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Spoof thread is spoof :p

It's gently mocking a Doom and Gloom thread about GW in Corporate Discussion.

It's still funny if you start a thread, innit :p

It also manages to ignore the plethora of other problems with the GW business model that these companies do not have.

EDIT: You're also completely ignoring the wider context of the market as a WHOLE.

- - - Updated - - -

Australia has the highest internet piracy rate in the world. Mostly because it takes five years for a show to air here after it came out overseas
There was this TV producer came here to promote a older show at conventions and he had a whole bunch of people saying they where fans of his more recent shows that hadn't actually been released in australia

Because if you don't pirate in australia you have to deal with the murdoch cartel. There is no "free market" for television in australia

Erik Setzer
10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
I haven't had any real issues with buffering and such, but I pay for Comcast's highest speed personal service and have a dual-band N router, using straight ethernet cables where possible to skip over even the slight possibility that there might be an issue with my wireless. My netbook streams great, even. Kindle is awesome on my home network.

Now, granted, my cable bill is about $93/month, the router itself cost nearly $200, and the wireless adapters were somewhere around $100 each, but eh... I can play an MMO on the highest graphical setting on one screen while watching Netflix on the other, and nothing shows even a hiccup on my end. I'd say that makes it worth it.

Mr Mystery
10-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Getting more and more into streaming.

Got Netflix, Amazon Prime, and tonight trying Sky's 'buy and keep' with Gojira.

£13.99, and I get an HD copy on my Sky box, and the DVD through the post.

Erik Setzer
10-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I got Amazon Prime initially just for the shipping bonus (I do tend to order a lot from them), the video and now music are a nice bonus. Extra bonus with a Kindle because you can stream right to that device and watch video or listen to music while working on figures. (Though I guess you can do that with other tablets, too.)