PDA

View Full Version : Shield Drone Use?

Blackcloud6
10-14-2014, 01:33 PM
OK, I'm not sure what to do with Shield Drones. I gather that they only give the Shield to themselves but what good are they then? I don't have enough points to give my Broadsides their own shield generators so I'm thinking of giving them two shield drones. So when the unit is shot at and takes hits, what do the shield drones do? Do they absorb hits that the Suits might not save? Can someone give me an example on how this might work?

Thanks much in advance.

hyudun
10-14-2014, 02:50 PM
OK, I'm not sure what to do with Shield Drones. I gather that they only give the Shield to themselves but what good are they then? I don't have enough points to give my Broadsides their own shield generators so I'm thinking of giving them two shield drones. So when the unit is shot at and takes hits, what do the shield drones do? Do they absorb hits that the Suits might not save? Can someone give me an example on how this might work?

Thanks much in advance.

Thing to know is that hits are resolved against closest models to the shooter first (exceptions exist), but Characters (your Shas'vre in this case) can attempt to pass a LOS test - on a 4+ you get to allocate the wound to the nearest model in the unit to the Character instead. Independent Characters succeed on a 2+ for LOS.

If you're expecting to mostly get shot at by AP2 or AP1 weapons, put the drones in front because their invuln save has a chance of negating it.

If you're expecting to mostly get shot at by AP3 or worse weapons, put your broadsides in front because their 2+ armor save is better.

If you're expecting to get shot at by a lot of different weapons with varying AP, you may want to put your Shas'vre in front so he can tank the AP3 or worse weapons and attempt to LOS the AP2 and better weapons to the drones.

Those are guidelines. Depending on your risk tolerance, you may want to do something different - e.g. always put drones in front if you absolutely cannot risk losing a broadside, even to a failed 2+ save.

Blackcloud6
10-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Thing to know is that hits are resolved against closest models to the shooter first (exceptions exist), but Characters (your Shas'vre in this case) can attempt to pass a LOS test - on a 4+ you get to allocate the wound to the nearest model in the unit to the Character instead. Independent Characters succeed on a 2+ for LOS.

If you're expecting to mostly get shot at by AP2 or AP1 weapons, put the drones in front because their invuln save has a chance of negating it.

If you're expecting to mostly get shot at by AP3 or worse weapons, put your broadsides in front because their 2+ armor save is better.

If you're expecting to get shot at by a lot of different weapons with varying AP, you may want to put your Shas'vre in front so he can tank the AP3 or worse weapons and attempt to LOS the AP2 and better weapons to the drones.

Those are guidelines. Depending on your risk tolerance, you may want to do something different - e.g. always put drones in front if you absolutely cannot risk losing a broadside, even to a failed 2+ save.

OK, this makes sense now. Thanks!