PDA

View Full Version : Starting Traitor Guard, looking for input

Puccio
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Hello all!

In the coming weeks, I will be starting my year long quest of putting together a Traitor/Renegade Guard army. While I have not even begun to consider what I want in the list, the one thing I know I will need a lot of is guardsmen! So this is what I'm asking.

My idea in so far is to use a healthy combination of WFB Zombie bits, Cadians, Catachans, and the all so wonderful and beautiful FW Renegade torsos. While each individual squad (if not platoon) will have the same over-all look/feel/theme, I was just wondering if anyone else had any other kits they would suggest to mix things up. I may throw in a squad or two of SL just because they're great as well.

I have a few simple modeling ideas, but the overall theme of the army when it comes to tread is "Death to the False God" painted across here and there. One other thing I thought would be interesting to show the fall of the guardsmen is that I will not physically remove the aquila's from helmets, tanks, etc, but rather I plan on taking a simple knife and scoring a line through them, or X's, or something else to show that the Emperor that man-kind dies in droves for is wasteful and useless.

I'll being doing a full back story, and probably end up with a blog documenting this all. I wasn't anticipating starting this until NEXT year, but I became so infatuated with the Renegade models from FW I want to start now.

At least my SW are built..now to paint them while I begin my bitz collecting!

Madness
02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Necromunda plastic kits might be an option too, but they are quite hard to come about.

Puccio
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Hm yes. i wasn't anticipating on using out of date or out of print materials for the project. given the scope, length, and time it is going to take just to get a 1000 or even a 1500 point force together, I don't think old sprues are that good of an idea.

although i am a junkie for buying random bitz lots off ebay. found some good stuff in those things.

Madness
02-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Just checked on the site, and it looks like it's still available there.

Drew da Destroya
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Ork (and Orc) arms could be ok. Catachan Arms aren't that much smaller, so they won't look too out of place. Plus, you can always chalk the bulk up to a chaos mutation. Plus, you can have a weird off-balance look by having a proppa Ork arm on one side, and a weedy 'oomee gitz arm on the other. The large sword-choppa works pretty well for a machete, too.

TheStrategist
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Link?

Cause I wasnt aware there were any plastics for Necromunda...

Akkon Sek
02-02-2010, 10:45 PM

I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that all the Necromunda models were white metal. If you don't mind me asking, which individual/sets are plastic?

Brass Scorpion
02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
The original Necromunda game came with two plastic gang sets, but all the models currently sold on the GW website are metal.

My idea in so far is to use a healthy combination of WFB Zombie bits, Cadians, Catachans, and the all so wonderful and beautiful FW Renegade torsos.Those are all sets I would be using. Additionally, bits from the Mutation Sprue, Chaos Spawn, Chaos Possessed, Ghouls, Bretonnian Foot Soldiers and Empire Flagellants all might be highly useful.

plasticaddict
02-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Chaos Marauder bits are good also. Also a few Chaos vehicle upgrade sprues to splash a few bits here and there on some of your vehicles would look good, not too much on any one vehicle and not on every one. Also Krieg models look good (like the Steel Legion guys).

Madness
02-03-2010, 06:13 AM
I knew there were sprues for van saar that could be assembled as you wanted, but iinm these orlocks are too: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300002&prodId=prod1120107

shadowvast
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Orlock and goliath gangs were released in plastics. of course I (and my wallet) am a glutton for punishment and went all infantry with all forgeworld torsos.....

I looked at fantasy beastmen, cadian, catachan, both of the above necromunda gangs, and the pig iron heads as well.

Puccio
02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Orlock and goliath gangs were released in plastics. of course I (and my wallet) am a glutton for punishment and went all infantry with all forgeworld torsos.....

I looked at fantasy beastmen, cadian, catachan, both of the above necromunda gangs, and the pig iron heads as well.

Ah see I wasn't going to go 100% FW torsos. It's tempting, but that's adding about $1.75 per guy. That's gonna add up REALLY fast. I'd be happy with 1 full platoon of them. Or even just my CCS. Who am I kidding, I'll end up like you buying more of them then I should.

Shadow Queen
02-03-2010, 06:52 PM
dont you have a bits place that does the fw bits?