PDA

View Full Version : Farsight Enclaves, the Eight

Katharon
10-13-2014, 12:12 AM
Hey guys, I found something odd concerning this supplement. I just purchased a hardback copy of the Farsight Enclaves supplement and something odd seems to be wrong. In the codex supplement there is the special rule that says the following:

"Farsight's Command Team
when choosing a Farsight Enclaves army, you have access to a special unit called Farsight's Commander Team. If you choose to take this unit, Commander Farsight does not allow you to take an XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team as normal; he has the Commander Team instead. This special unit is an HQ choice that does not take [up] a Force Organization slot and consists of up to seven other battlesuits chosen from those listed on pages 38-39. They must be equipped exactly as described; the Signature Systems rule above does not apply to them. They can take no other options. Each of the Commander Team models is Unique and has the Independent Character special rule."

Now, it seems pretty clear and when you turn to pages 38-39, you can indeed see the Eight. However, there are no listed point costs. There are just the suits and descriptions of their set up. So does that mean that so long as I pay the cost of a normal XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team that I can take up to any of the 7 suits in the Command Team (let's just ignore the fact that the wording is so bad that it basically says you could take two Commander Farsights)?

Or did GW just make a giant f-up as usual and forget to print point costs in the hardback supplements?

daboarder
10-13-2014, 12:38 AM
you pay the points cost for the listed gear

Houghten
10-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Each of the base suits (none of which are Bodyguards, they're Commanders except for the Broadside and the Riptide) and each of their upgrades has a point cost listed in either Codex: Tau Empire or Farsight Enclaves: a Codex: Tau Supplement. You have to do the maths yourself, unless you buy the iPad edition.

Also it does say "seven other battlesuits," so you couldn't take two of Farsight, even if he didn't have the Unique specification.

Katharon
10-13-2014, 03:58 AM
That's annoying that they would put the point cost in the iPad version but not in the hardback copy. Like really, really annoying.

Lord Manton
10-13-2014, 05:03 AM
Hey, you like our Supplement(tm)? You should buy the iPad(tm) version. It's got all the rules for Commander Farsight(tm) but it has the points right there! So convenient. So user friendly. You'll love it.

Katharon
10-13-2014, 05:11 AM
Hey, you like our Supplement(tm)? You should buy the iPad(tm) version. It's got all the rules for Commander Farsight(tm) but it has the points right there! So convenient. So user friendly. You'll love it.

Too bad not everyone owns an iPad. And my copy doesn't require batteries or a cord, so...yeah.

David Crossley
10-13-2014, 10:32 AM
I think the original aim with the supplements was to make it so that the rules contained within wouldn't necessarily be invalidated upon a codex update, consequently by not printing a points value (iPad version's shortcut is easily updated, paper hardcopy not so much) they ensure that it'd still be usable come the next Tau Codex update.

Course given the fact that the format of supplements has changed significantly with the release of 7th, that's probably gone flying out the window now.