PDA

View Full Version : Warhammerfest 2014 Thread

Mr Mystery
10-08-2014, 08:02 AM
How do?

So I'm off up there for the Saturday, as I'm not terribly fussed for Golden Daemon.

I hope to get along to the Seminars, the FW one in particular, as I've got pressing questions I wants to ask (like Wraithknight - gonnae give it some love?_)

Anyone else going? Would be nice to meet up if you can be bothered!

Updated by Admins:
Use this thread as the master pictures & news placeholder for all your Warhammer Fest info.

Defenestratus
10-08-2014, 09:52 AM
I'd like for some people to think about the questions they're asking the GW team in the seminars. Please be aware that since GW doesn't get stateside, its up to our cultural forebearers to ask the questions that need answering. My friend Ian recently came up with a brilliant set of questions that, while presented politely, really gets to the crux of what the playerbase wants to know.

Caution, some adult language in this post:
http://www.unrememberedlegion.com/?p=2671

Excerpt:

Theoretical Question #2 - Channels of direct communication with GW as a company have dried up to a trickle. The facebook pages are gone, as is the official forum, and GW makes very little, if any, appearance at major gaming conventions (Forgeworld usually being the only GW affiliated branch present). How does GW communicate with their fanbase on a daily basis to determine what their customers are looking for? Follow up: what are GW’s plans to expand those channels of communication moving forward?

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Those are awesome questions and very well worded and put together!

Mr Mystery
10-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Questions aren't unreasonable, but aren't (going on previous experience of seminars) really suited to the hosts.

It's the designers you get to chat with. So #3 is fair game (will attempt to ask!), but the rest? Not exactly their domain. It's like someone asking me questions about the DISP rules at work - I dunno. You want FCA, not the FOS . They set them, I just follow them.

So that's two questions I've now got...

1. Oi, Frogworld, why no Wraithknight you slaaaaaaags.

2. When revisiting a Codex or Army Book etc (potted here for brevity).

And if anyone else is going, here's some time savers.....

3. Prices - won't get answered.

4. Balance - try to be specific as possible, otherwise see 3.

5. Squats - Please no.

6. Anything not constructive, such as asking about opinions on other systems and that. You won't get answer, and as a regular participant, it always annoys me how many wannabe Interwebheroes will ask increasingly bizarre questions when it's already established the Studio dudes do rules and models, not prices and marketing strategy!

Though.......I now has a third question......and I think it's a good 'un....

New CEO coming in - is there anything the Designers hope to convince that person of that they've always wanted to do?

DrLove42
10-08-2014, 11:52 AM
You can play Seminar bingo....questions that will gets asked and get nothing but groans from the audience;

- Costs
- When will X army be done
- Squats
- What armies are next
- I don't like X rule cos of Y.
-Something about Garro

And for FW;

- When is my legion out
- Will we have Xenos in the Heresy.

FYI anyone going who wants to buy me a shiny special edition copy of the new Imperial Armour I am good for it!
-What is next Primarch

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-08-2014, 12:39 PM
I'd like to know if they'd ever consider doing non-anthropomorphic xenos for 40k or 30k (the nids are still too anthropomorphic to me) - I bet the designers don't get asked that too often.

Mr Mystery
10-08-2014, 01:27 PM
See, that's a good 'un and all, though I'd want to add a second part - and what would they be?

I love a leading question me. Something of a speciality!

Could also be applied to the 30k Xenos to hopefully elicit a better response - something along the lines of 'if you had the chance, what sort of Heresy era Xenos would you do'.

Ideally prevents a 'yeah we're not doing them' response which you would get from a closed 'are you doing them' question, and might, just might, give us an insight into whether or not it's been discussed.....

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-08-2014, 01:58 PM
and what would they be?

Well, if you get a chance to ask and including that part! id definitely appreciate it.

Adding new aliens to the game feels more possible now also, since we have htings like imperial knights and tempestus - they seem willing to do small "micro armies" (for lack of a better term), a good way to test waters and explore allies.

Mr Mystery
10-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Think I'm questioned up for the moment - nothing worse in a Seminar than someone hogging the question time!

But if I can slip it in (ooer), I shall.

StraightSilver
10-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Could somebody ask the Forge World guys this for me:

Are there any plans for FW to release a series of modelling supplies and tools for advanced modellers / FW products.

We have weathering powders which are great, but how about FW filters, decal fixatives, softeners etc.

There was also a rumour of FW producing their own own air brush and range of paints, is that true?

I know there are lots of other companies that already produce all that sort of stuff, but it would be good to know if FW have any plans to enter that side of the market.

And will we be seeing any more FW Masterclass / modelling / painting books.

And Decal sheets for the new Knight variants please. :)

Bigred
10-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Make sure you stick all your pictures and notes in this thread...

FLY MY PRETTIES! FLY!!!

theresponsibleone
10-10-2014, 01:43 AM
Make sure you stick all your pictures and notes in this thread...

FLY MY PRETTIES! FLY!!!

I will be there both days, but still debating if I can be bothered to lug the laptop up to post while I'm there.

Mr Mystery
10-10-2014, 02:42 AM
I will be takin my phone.

Expect ropey photos filmed in crap-o-vision!

eldargal
10-10-2014, 03:15 AM
Ask them how they thought nerfinf Howling Banshees and Wyches was sensible when both units were really underpowered in 7th edition anyway.

Ask Black Library why they thought it was ok to kill off GWs most developed female character ever in another characters book after she got her own trilogy.

Ask Forge World if they will ever make some wraithknight conversion kits or if non-Imperium and non-Tau players should just not bother checking their website anymore.

Mr Mystery
10-10-2014, 03:20 AM
Wot I r want buy.....

End Times Vol 2

Slayer.

No idea if they'll be on sale though!

theresponsibleone
10-10-2014, 03:23 AM
Ask them how they thought nerfinf Howling Banshees and Wyches was sensible when both units were really underpowered in 7th edition anyway.

I asked about Howling Banshees last year!

John Bower
10-10-2014, 05:36 AM
I'm not going and have no intentions; however SELWYG is on this Sunday at Crystal Palace; depending on weather and how I feel I may just go.

The Girl
10-10-2014, 11:19 AM
How about keeping this on topic, and refraining from doing this for 2 pages [again]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOGWbzUM-y8

Thank you.

Deadlift
10-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Wot I r want buy.....

End Times Vol 2

Slayer.

No idea if they'll be on sale though!

What's Slayer ? Is it another new Gotrek book ?

Mr Mystery
10-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Allegedly, the last one....

Eldar_Atog
10-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Sad to see the character die but it might be for the best. The books just aren't quite the same after William King and Nathan Long moved to other things.

Deadlift
10-10-2014, 12:32 PM

Better not kill him off or I might do an EG ;).

My biggest wish for this weekend is some Chaos Knights and Blood Angel leaks. Here's wishful thinking.

Mr Mystery
10-10-2014, 12:40 PM
I am keep eyes peeled!

Best bit? Car stereo charges my phone, so should be heading in with 100% battery. Which is nice'

Mr Mystery
10-10-2014, 11:13 PM
6:12 am, and I'm about to go pick up The Boyz, and then off up to Coventry.

See you there. Unless you're not going.

daboarder
10-10-2014, 11:27 PM
have fun, any chaos news would be appreciated

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 02:44 AM
Forgeworld Catalogue obtained - nothing sneaked in. Up to date as of last week's releases.

- - - Updated - - -

Two Frogeworld Seminars....11-12 and 2-3.

Aiming for 11!

Sneak peak of IA13... Fell blade and Kharybdis shown in the programme.

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 03:17 AM
No sign of next End Times stuff.

Shall just have to pick up IA13 (go sacrifice a bacon sandwich in my name. That will be praise enough!)

Brother Garrod
10-11-2014, 04:01 AM
Some photos incoming

- - - Updated - - -

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/yzak_gatx_102/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102252557_HDR_zps6o6n5i06.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/yzak_gatx_102/media/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102252557_HDR_zps6o6n5i06.jpg.html)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/yzak_gatx_102/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102027963_zpsdbcmffza.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/yzak_gatx_102/media/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102027963_zpsdbcmffza.jpg.html)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/yzak_gatx_102/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102038286_zpsfm8soy1t.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/yzak_gatx_102/media/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102038286_zpsfm8soy1t.jpg.html)

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 04:01 AM

Reaver Chainfists and Volcano Cannon. Carapace versions of Warhound nearly ready too!

Brother Garrod
10-11-2014, 04:04 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/yzak_gatx_102/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102057173_HDR_zpsff3ttbyd.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/yzak_gatx_102/media/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102057173_HDR_zpsff3ttbyd.jpg.html)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/yzak_gatx_102/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102447954_zps2ul20w5k.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/yzak_gatx_102/media/Night%20lords/IMG_20141011_102447954_zps2ul20w5k.jpg.html)

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 04:06 AM
No Knights in IA13.

But full Lost and Damned army list.

- - - Updated - - -

Volkite Russ anyone?

theresponsibleone
10-11-2014, 04:08 AM

Trying to post from phone...

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Alpha Legion Contemptor Chassis11467

- - - Updated - - -

Chaos Knight 'info' from FW Sculptor...

Went from 'not allowed to talk about that' via 'throne mechanicum, paragon of good' to 'never say never'....

Brakkart
10-11-2014, 04:35 AM
So much Imperial Fists goodness incoming. My patience is about to be rewarded... what... ohh shut up wallet, quit your snivelling.

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 04:49 AM
IA13 Tidbit, as I've just eaten a very nice and surprisingly reasonably priced pulled pork nap....

Ferrum Infernus Chaos Dreadnought.

Like a Venerable, but much, much harder. If it's asploded, roll a D6....

1-2 - Gods think you're a knobber. Apply the Spawndom result of the Chaos Boom Table.
3-4 - re-roll the damage on the table. Needs another asplode to actually asplode.
5-6 - A*++! TOP OF THE CLASS - apply Dark Apotheosis result from the Boon table.

- - - Updated - - -

25 point upgrade that!

An yes, Chaos Contemptor....

RGilbert26
10-11-2014, 04:50 AM
So essentially you either get turned into a spawn, re-roll damage table or get turned into a Daemon Prince?

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Yup.

25 point upgrade.

Two others to choose from.

And *no* gribble table.

LostInTheDark
10-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Sadly not there, but there is a photo log of one of the seminars on battle bunnies

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.ae/

Brakkart
10-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Sadly not there, but there is a photo log of one of the seminars on battle bunnies

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.ae/

Ohh some nice stuff to see there. Konrad Curze looks very good and they are going to make my favourite super heavy, the Stormhammer tank! It must be mine!

Tyrendian
10-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Ohh some nice stuff to see there. Konrad Curze looks very good and they are going to make my favourite super heavy, the Stormhammer tank! It must be mine!

yes, but blargh at Prospero being ages away still...

Deadlift
10-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks for sharing guys, very much appriciated. How do you think the event compares to Gamesday ?

Mr Mystery
10-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks for sharing guys, very much appriciated. How do you think the event compares to Gamesday ?

I preferred it. Pretty much the same amount to do, but more like a BL or HH Weekender - lots of chances to speak with the creative teams.

Got chatting to the guy responsible for the Mechanicum. I may have egged him on to make ever more horrific horrors and gribblies.

Eldar from Forgeworld - no plans currently. But I did big up a Bright Stallion FTW! And very, very small tidbit, which is not a rumour as such - I asked Edgar Skomorowski, who made the Chaos Dwarves (because he was on hand) that if given the option, what would he make for 30k in terms of Xenos - he said no plans at all for Xenos as 30k is a misnomer, it's firmly about the Heresy, BUT, he would love to do some 40k Eldar, as they're his favourites (people, you now have a possibly willing target!)

theresponsibleone
10-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Seminar words:

http://the-responsible-one.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/warhammer-fest-day-1-afternoon-forge.html

Sorry my posts dried up, I couldn't connect for ages!

krushgroove
10-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi all, I have a gallery on my website here: http://tinyplasticspacemen.com/?page_id=557

I'm trying to sort the presentation of the thumbnails but there's a good mix of pictures from throughout the day. I didn't sit in on any seminars because I know people more knowledgeable than me would be posting good, informative blog posts about all that :)

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I preferred it. Pretty much the same amount to do, but more like a BL or HH Weekender - lots of chances to speak with the creative teams.

Got chatting to the guy responsible for the Mechanicum. I may have egged him on to make ever more horrific horrors and gribblies.

Eldar from Forgeworld - no plans currently. But I did big up a Bright Stallion FTW! And very, very small tidbit, which is not a rumour as such - I asked Edgar Skomorowski, who made the Chaos Dwarves (because he was on hand) that if given the option, what would he make for 30k in terms of Xenos - he said no plans at all for Xenos as 30k is a misnomer, it's firmly about the Heresy, BUT, he would love to do some 40k Eldar, as they're his favourites (people, you now have a possibly willing target!)

Don't suppose you managed to ask my question at all? (No worries if not!)

Yeah, The normal Mechanism arent twisted or weird enough for me. Too many visible human body parts. Hopefully the Dark mechanicum will be creepier. I love those trailing cables and the inability to tell what is under the robes.

Mr Mystery
10-12-2014, 03:30 AM
Also, design info on Magos Shake'n'Vac.....

Darren Parwood had original sculpted it to have the cables coming out of the Magos plugging into the console all over the shop. Sadly, they took it to the production team (those wot make the molds) and they just sort of laughed hysterically and said no, hence we wound up with the dreadlock look. He actively encourages all good Adepts to convert it to his original vision. He apparently has the original model on his desk at work, so we may see pics some day.

He's also planning (possibly sculpting) Mechanicum Bodyguard stuff. Rather than being a set type, in the way of existing Mechanicum models, he described these as something knocked together by the Adept prior to battle from whatever is in his workshop. His vision for the kit is more in the style of a Bitz Bag, from which you can assemble the models as you wish - so would have legs/tracks/movement things, torso, and plug in points all over the torso. Me, I'm sold. Already committed to a Mechanicum force on payday - reckon £250 ought to get me off to a good start!

DrLove42
10-12-2014, 04:00 AM
Between my beloved sons of Lorgar coming soonish (means the Heresy weekender is a must for me next year) and the chaos IA, my wallet hurts premptivly. Time to start clocking some overtime

eldargal
10-12-2014, 04:59 AM
Edgar Skomorowski working on eldar is potentially org asmic.

Mr Mystery
10-12-2014, 05:27 AM
It's what he would like to do - no idea if he'll actually get to!

eldargal
10-12-2014, 05:34 AM
Forge World is supposed to be about doing what they want, so hopefully as HH winds down he will be able to do it.

SadisticMagician
10-12-2014, 08:02 AM
How many times do FW have to say they aren't doing HH xenos?

hisdudeness
10-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Problem is that at the second HH weekender they said they had no plans to do 30k Xenos, but were open to the idea ONCE the HH line was nearing it's end. A look back to the beginning and exploring the Great Crusade.

Bigred
10-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Summary via The Responsible One (http://the-responsible-one.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/warhammer-fest-day-1-afternoon-forge.html)

Imperial Armour Volume 13: The Lost and the Damned.
-Daemon possessed Fellblades were mentioned
-Decimator as well being included
-The Kharybdis Assault Claw makes an appearance for Chaos as well.
-There are also some references to Chaos Hereteks.

-The army list is a single army list with many options - it expands on the army lists from Vraks, allowing you to field any of those armies, but also adds in options for Slaanesh and Tzeentch Renegades as well.

-The army list includes a lot of HQs which unlock options, and also purchasable upgrades for Warlords to unlock yet more options still. Renegades and Mutants are all in there, with a particular combination of traits intended to allow you to give models Hellguns to allow for Chaos Storm Troopers.

Horus Heresy Book 4: Conquest

-Ships end of November, so people can order it in time for Christmas.
-It is currently at the printers.
-It is the biggest book so far.
-There is a Forge World Knight on the cover, which gives a bit of an indication as to the book's focus and content.

It covers:

-The Battles of the Cyclops Cluster
-Siege of Mezoa
-Conquest of Manachea
-Defence of Agathon

These are battles that aren't in the Horus Heresy Novels, but is about what Horus and friends did "in between the gaps". It covers the conquest of a significant portion of the Northern Imperium, as Horus takes control of a sector of space cut off from the rest of the Imperium by warp storms so he has a base of operations. For example, Manachea is a big Agri-World, and a bit of a bread basket for that sector of the Imperium.

Forces in the book are:
Sons of Horus
Death Guard
Iron Hands
Salamanders
Imperial Fists
Dark Mechanicum
Mechanicum
Solar Auxilia
Knights
Titans

There was a mention that some of the Loyalist forces have gone mad, others are engaging in revenge attacks to worlds that have allied or even capitulated to Horus, and others are waging a guerrilla war.

The world of Cyclotrathe was mentioned - a Dark Mechanicum world which isn't in the 40K background, because someone has (rightly) turned it to ash by the time 40K happens. This is where some of the worst of the Dark Mechanicum are, licensed by Horus to forge their own mini empire as long as they keep his armies supplied. Their forces are now carving out their own client empire, harvesting humans for their experiments.

There's a mention of the Knight Houses of the area, and their interlinked backgrounds. It covers why their histories and existing allegiances determine the side they end up on. One example given was a House which had only been a part of the Imperium for five years at the outbreak of the Heresy, so sided with the only faction they'd ever met - Horus. (Apparently, that didn't go so well for them!)

The Solar Auxilia are an elite branch of the Imperial Army. There was a Latin name for the Imperial Army, but someone mumbled, so I missed it.

The book will include a history of the battles, background for the Solar Auxilia, background for the Knight Houses, the background to 4 new Knight Houses of the 31st Millenium, a campaign system, a Solar Auxilia list, and a 30K only Knight list.

Q&As

Any Iron Warriors? Some bits and pieces are on the way.

Warhammer Forge models going away? Some models will come back once they've looked again at sales and profitability. They will then likely add a few models next year.

Dark Angels? After Ultramarines but not too long. They want to do Thramas plus the Blood Angels at Signus Prime relatively soon.

Chaos Dwarves? No plans right now, but maybe.

Sigismund model? Will get around to him - it will take a year or two to get all the characters they want to do done.

What will be the breakdown of the Calth book? The final decisions on this aren't really made yet - they're still in early stages and playtesting the Ultramarines Legion rules. It's likely there will be more than one book and the first book will be the first 24 hours and the turnaround.

Will they do every character they've written rules for as a model? Nope. Some are better suited to conversion from a Praetor or Captain model. They won't necessarily do every one, but will where there is demand and a different enough model to merit it.

Will there be Heresy era Xenos? Not very likely at all. Horus Heresy is about a battle of man against man, and becomes a story about man versus Chaos. They will probably avoid Xenos outright as that's 40K's thing - but if they reach the Scouring, that's the time of the revenge of the Xenos. They won't cover pre-Davin Xenos as they'd have too limited a scope.

Chaos Knights? On the list to do conversion bits for.

Mr Mystery
10-12-2014, 10:44 AM
How many times do FW have to say they aren't doing HH xenos?

Which is why I asked a different question :)

Mr Mystery
10-12-2014, 02:55 PM
And in other news - I for one am well revved up for the next Horus Heresy Weekender.

Warhammer Fest had the same vide - not so many youngsters about, and lots of time to chat with the designers outside of Seminars. It's amazing the drive these lads and lasses have for the hobby. They're just like us, but with the added perk of being able to officially add to the setting, whether it's background, models or what have you.

Anyone else considering going, I highly recommend booking into the hotel where the event is being held. All the cool toys are typically sold within about 3.5 seconds of the doors opening, so already being inside is a big plus! And if any of you enjoy your metal and rock music as much as what I does, I can totally show you a good time (not like that, least not personally) in Nottingham, as I'm a fairly regular visitor for fun and games!

Popsical
10-12-2014, 03:35 PM
So, warhammer fest appears to be "horus heresy fest"?
Much as i like the HH, it seems GW have become obsessed with 30k to the ignorance of all else.
Its actually quite boring in its predictability.
Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Mr Mystery
10-12-2014, 03:37 PM
It's what those attending were most focussed on sure.

I actually forgot to go to the studio area!

Painting and modelling demos were frankly excellent.

theresponsibleone
10-12-2014, 04:35 PM
So, warhammer fest appears to be "horus heresy fest"?
Much as i like the HH, it seems GW have become obsessed with 30k to the ignorance of all else.
Its actually quite boring in its predictability.
Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Not really. Forge World are for various reasons the only branch really able to throw out preview teasers. A metric ton of Fantasy and 40K stuff happened, but much of that is already out - no-one told me anything about Blood Angels or Necrons because as I've said ten thousand times before - they can't and won't say.

I did pick up an awful lot of discussion about direction, intent and current thinking, but The Internet is primarily interested in "New Models" as the rumours of choice. As such, I typed up the Forge World stuff first.

There was a new release showcased from GW prime at the event, but as it was not a model, no one has really covered it. I plan on writing it up when I get home - the wifi in this hotel is shocking.

jmcp06
10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
So in terms of that discussion about direction, did you hear anything about WHFB 9th edition and the direction fantasy is headed in?

jonsgot
10-13-2014, 03:01 AM
I put some videos of the Forge World Hersy Boards on you tube
Battle of Cath https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGb6LCEwFs and here

Alpha Legion vs Mechanicus
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oKAZ1hJKiXo
I love the Alpha Legion tanks. It would be great to see some of these painted by professional painters.

My phone went flat on the 2nd so I didn't get the 3rd board which was the Imperial Fist Board from Games Day 2013. I for one was very glad to see they had brought it again.

krushgroove
10-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Awesome, thanks for taking video! I took a ton of pictures, it never even occurred to me to move the dial to 'video' :)

Chris*ta
10-13-2014, 08:31 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5raVRIpX-mo/VDkMT4BkVAI/AAAAAAAAEWs/SiQ29zx3fmo/s640/blogger-image-833071763.jpg

STORMHAMMER STORMHAMMER STORMHAMMER STORMHAMMER!!!

Image from here:
http://battlebunnies.blogspot.ae/search/label/Warhammer%20fest

Mr Mystery
10-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Stuff that. DREADNOUGHT!

I love Dreads me. And IA 13 does mention predecessor patterns to the Contemptor....

Defenestratus
10-13-2014, 09:21 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5raVRIpX-mo/VDkMT4BkVAI/AAAAAAAAEWs/SiQ29zx3fmo/s640/blogger-image-833071763.jpg

Image from here:
http://battlebunnies.blogspot.ae/search/label/Warhammer%20fest

"Hey guys, sales have been going great. This Horus Heresy stuff is a cash-printing machine. But its missing... I donno... Its missing something."

"More dreadnoughts?"

"YES! THATS IT!!!"

Mr Mystery
10-13-2014, 09:24 AM
At least it's not 'very slight variant noggin #353'

musical-fool
10-13-2014, 09:24 AM
I put some videos of the Forge World Hersy Boards on you tube
Battle of Cath https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGb6LCEwFs and here

Alpha Legion vs Mechanicus
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oKAZ1hJKiXo
I love the Alpha Legion tanks. It would be great to see some of these painted by professional painters.

My phone went flat on the 2nd so I didn't get the 3rd board which was the Imperial Fist Board from Games Day 2013. I for one was very glad to see they had brought it again.

Great videos!

Their show-boards are getting better and better and they started of as incredible!

Those shipping containers are interestingly uniform. Was there any news on more terrain pieces at all?

The same can be said for the injured SMs lying about the place.

theresponsibleone
10-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Great videos!
Those shipping containers are interestingly uniform. Was there any news on more terrain pieces at all?

The shipping containers do have a CAD for them, but there are were no plans to make them as they thought the price point would be too high for people. They have interior detail as well. If you do love them and would be willing to pay good money for them, do let Forge World know that the interest exists. They may change their minds. :)

The guy who normally does terrain did a whole bunch of the Solar Auxilia tanks, so he has ideas in his brain for, say, more Zone Mortalis boards, but hasn't managed to talk his way into being allowed to do them yet as he's been conscripted into Heresy stuff. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

For those who felt that there wasn't enough non Forge World news, here's a new release that isn't Forge World:

It's only a news app for releases and such like, but there was a mention of free stuff like missions now and again through it.

More details here (http://the-responsible-one.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/warhammerfest-warhammer-app.html).

Defenestratus
10-13-2014, 11:02 AM
but hasn't managed to talk his way into being allowed to do them yet as he's been conscripted into Heresy stuff.

Which is exactly what we were told WOULDN'T happen when this whole stupid HH stuff started.

theresponsibleone
10-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Which is exactly what we were told WOULDN'T happen when this whole stupid HH stuff started.

Forge World produces what makes money. If you want them to produce more terrain and less Horus Heresy stuff, buy more terrain and less Horus Heresy stuff.

There's no way they're going to base all their business decisions on the intent they had when they started a project a few years ago. Things change, and they have to react to that. They've looked at what people are buying and are producing more of it. Getting indignant because they've reacted to what the majority of their customers want seems a little crazy.

Erik Setzer
10-13-2014, 12:37 PM
So "Warhammerfest" was really "ForgeWorldfest" and the obnoxious paranoia levels of the company are preventing them from previewing anything at their own event, which is specifically for people to be able to see and hear about stuff they can't find out at the other events Forge World does/attends.

Hope they got plenty of cash from this go-round, because I suspect there won't be nearly as many tickets sold next year. Not that the current CEO cares, as he gets to show on his resume "Made a boatload of money for the company" even if that money isn't something sustainable (and might hurt in the long run).

Thanks to all the folks who collected information, though. I know a lot of people like Forge World, but it just feels wrong that at the event designed to replace Games Day and named Warhammerfest, they only have Forge World stuff to really talk about.

theresponsibleone
10-13-2014, 02:09 PM
I know a lot of people like Forge World, but it just feels wrong that at the event designed to replace Games Day and named Warhammerfest, they only have Forge World stuff to really talk about.

I had an absolutely excellent two days. I got some amazing painting and weathering techniques, saw a mind blowing but simple kitbash of the Gorkanaut, very nearly got mugged for some beautiful canvas prints of some of the art work at very reasonable prices, had some good chats about the design process, gave people feedback on some of the recent kits, got to meet some of my hobby and art idols without making a pillock of myself and chatted with some authors about their upcoming work...

But this is the news and rumours part of the lounge. There wasn't much news outside of the app and the Forge World Q&A. There may have been some in the Black Library ones, but I didn't go to them. I posted a link to the news I saw in the news thread, where people who like the news go. I'll be posting the "I had an awesome time and did many things" post on my blog, where people who like hobby stuff and my personal take on the hobby go. If you like news and not rambling gonzo accounts of attending a lot of hobby demonstration classes, this is the place you should be - but don't judge an event as a failure because it wasn't something it's not trying to be in the first place!

Warhammerfest, and Games Day before it, has not been about news and announcements for years. I don't understand why people expect that to suddenly and magically change.

I generally found it a really positive event - there were some teething problems and issues that need sorting, but it was a massive step on on last year and really good fun to attend - if you are looking to attend the sort of event it is trying to be.

Mr Mystery
10-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Yup.

I do agree I'd like to see more from the Studio, I mean who wouldn't? But I did enjoy my day. The painting and conversion talks were good fun, and really quite different. You couldn't do those with larger numbers.

And you have to look at why the Studio are keeping a tight lid on things.

Defenestratus
10-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Yup.

And you have to look at why the Studio are keeping a tight lid on things.

That would be a great question for the studio. Did anyone bother asking it? Where is a link to the recorded Youtube video of the sessions so that those of us that had to attend our sister's wedding can judge for ourselves the quality of the answers?

Transcripts available?

Beavis?

eldargal
10-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Forge World produces what makes money. If you want them to produce more terrain and less Horus Heresy stuff, buy more terrain and less Horus Heresy stuff.

There's no way they're going to base all their business decisions on the intent they had when they started a project a few years ago. Things change, and they have to react to that. They've looked at what people are buying and are producing more of it. Getting indignant because they've reacted to what the majority of their customers want seems a little crazy.

Sure, but Forge World outright lied, twice, about this. First they said HH would not impact Warhammer Forge and Imperial Armour lines at all. Then when it became obivous it had they said they were taking on more staff to compensate, which they did. Then they still ended up basically cancelling Warhammer Forge (where is the Battle for Blackfire Pass, it was supposed to be pretty far advanced last we heard and that was like two years ago) and putting Imperial Armour campaign books on hold. WF I can understand, they mishandled that and it probably wasn't making a huge amount of money. But no on can seriously argue IA wasn't successful, it was their bread and butter for ten years.

So FW don't get a free pass on this, it's one thing to focus on what is making you money and another to deceive your customers about it.

Denzark
10-14-2014, 12:31 AM
"Your father... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and "became" Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view. "

krushgroove
10-14-2014, 03:04 AM
I know a lot of people like Forge World, but it just feels wrong that at the event designed to replace Games Day and named Warhammerfest, they only have Forge World stuff to really talk about.

I sat in on an 'intro to 30K' type talk by Andy Hoare, head writer for the IA13 book, and commented to him that there were way more FW people in maroon shirts than anyone else, and he said the head of FW organized the weekend so it was on his head if it flopped. It was my first time attending any weekend by GW (I've never even been to a tournament) and I had a good time once I got out of the hour-long FW line at the start of the day and realized the value came from talking to the people behind the books and models. The various talks and pods were just a bonus to me, I wasn't interested in the Golden Daemon, BL books or seminars this time. Many people went for both days - I think there should have been a 2-day ticket discount or something.

Chris*ta
10-14-2014, 03:46 AM
"Hey guys, sales have been going great. This Horus Heresy stuff is a cash-printing machine. But its missing... I donno... Its missing something."

"More dreadnoughts?"

"YES! THATS IT!!!"

Yeah, I saw new dreadnought and assumed it's a Contemptor for Legion blank, But ...

40kGamer
10-14-2014, 06:29 AM
So FW don't get a free pass on this, it's one thing to focus on what is making you money and another to deceive your customers about it.

But pissing on the customer base is part of GW's charm.

Defenestratus
10-14-2014, 08:18 AM
buy more terrain and less Horus Heresy stuff.

Well, once the 5 pieces of terrain have been purchased, what is a collector to do to show FW that they would like more of it?

jonsgot
10-14-2014, 04:47 PM
That would be a great question for the studio. Did anyone bother asking it? Where is a link to the recorded Youtube video of the sessions so that those of us that had to attend our sister's wedding can judge for ourselves the quality of the answers?

Transcripts available?

Beavis?

1 I.p. Protection
2 NDA with new line cinema
3 coz it winds up the customer base.

Pick one any one will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Great videos!

Their show-boards are getting better and better and they started of as incredible!

The same can be said for the injured SMs lying about the place.

Thanks
what snow, I missed something
Yep unfortunately the creates are not cool enought to charge enought to make them worth while. You need to talk to the GW terrain design team as they need to be knock them out in plastic at bunker prices. And would you pick a crate over another bunker?

- - - Updated - - -

I had an absolutely excellent two days. I

Warhammerfest, and Games Day before it, has not been about news and announcements for years. I don't understand why people expect that to suddenly and magically change.

Me too although I got plently of news from the GW team. You just have to know what to say to get it out of them. I've written up most of it on http://chaptermasters.com/warhammer-fest-epic-news-from-the-studio/ . I can't say I'm happy about it. No more metal or Finecast, lots more Warhammer Visions, no more Epic. :( I really had my hopes up when Jes said he was rearranging White Dwarf for a future Epic release battle report but his response to my suggesting Epic was being redone was very clearly a no!

40kGamer
10-15-2014, 06:59 AM
No more metal or Finecast, lots more Warhammer Visions, no more Epic.

Sad but not surprised about the metal. I will still be keeping the fingers crossed for some limited Epic release in the future.

eldargal
10-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't miss Epic? I mean the first generation of rules were great but the models were always rubbish.

Mr Mystery
10-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't miss Epic? I mean the first generation of rules were great but the models were always rubbish.

Yes. You weirdo.

40kGamer
10-15-2014, 07:30 AM
First edition models were pretty bad (thinking of you shoebox thunderhawk!) but the later releases were very nicely scaled down. Not a surprise that Forgeworld also did some exceptional work on the range. I think the model trajectory was basically the same as 40k and fantasy where the early models generally were not very good.

eldargal
10-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Also did anyone ask about Wraithknight conversion kits? I mean we've had like a million knight conversion kits and some brand new knights and a bunch of Tau crap and still not even a bloody basic conversion kit for the WK.

Mr Mystery
10-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Nothing planned at the moment, as far as I can make out.

But Edgar Skormrmrmrmrmrmrororoski is keen to do some 40k Eldar, if given the choice.

eldargal
10-15-2014, 08:53 AM
I do wonder how FWs whole 'we do what the sculptors want to do in general' thing will hold up against a sculptor who actually would like ot make xenos stuff rather than Marine variant no 34246 and Marine character 27592 not to mention dreadnought kit 9000.

'Do what you love!'
'Ok I'm sculpting some eldar'
'Damnit Edgar we talked about this, it's pronounced 'dreadnought"

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-15-2014, 08:55 AM

I thought the infantry was good for the time period, especially the space marines. With modern CAD they could do some amazing stuff nowadays. FW did some impressive Epic infantry too - look for their Grey Knights, they look amazing. Their Tau stuff looked great too.

40kGamer
10-15-2014, 09:00 AM
I thought the infantry was good for the time period, especially the space marines. With modern CAD they could do some amazing stuff nowadays. FW did some impressive Epic infantry too - look for their Grey Knights, they look amazing. Their Tau stuff looked great too.

The FW Epic stuff has amazing details. Only issue I ran into is that resin does not hold up well with 6mm infantry. I have to agree that with the technology advances they could really knock it out of the park nowadays.

Popsical
10-15-2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By86PcLufOU

Defenestratus
10-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Right there with you. Couldn't really care less about it.

40k was much better for narrative gaming..

40kGamer
10-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Right there with you. Couldn't really care less about it.

40k was much better for narrative gaming..

Until the braintrust at GW decided to blend EPIC into 40k and dilute the game system. EPIC was meant to represent apocalyptic scale battles, something 40k will never successfully accomplish no matter how hard they try.

Defenestratus
10-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Until the braintrust at GW decided to blend EPIC into 40k and dilute the game system. EPIC was meant to represent apocalyptic scale battles, something 40k will never successfully accomplish no matter how hard they try.

Really?

My group seems to have no trouble playing huge apocalypse games the way they're meant to be played, with massive titans striding forth to smite the enemy....
http://www.unrememberedlegion.com/2014/10/15/apocalypse-battle-report-narratives-part-1-the-battle-that-never-was/

Why don't you think 40k can capture that EPIC feeling? The problem in epic is that your infantry always felt like "oh they're just the parsely to my mashed potatoes".. meaning that they're there because either they have to be, or they just make the board look good. It was the titans and tanks that really did anything and even then it was really the super heavies who got things done.

At least in 40k, you can have a moment like, when my Autarch deep struck in behind my friend's warlord titan with 2 Structure points left and managed to chain react it to oblivion with his fusion gun. Awesome narrative moments like that were few and far between in Epic. About the coolest thing that happened was when two mega titans got in close combat with each other....

John Bower
10-15-2014, 02:24 PM

That's not the problem with 40k; the problem is that somebody decided it might be a good idea to try and play tourneys with a narrative game built for fun. Apocalypse was always the same; narrative, it was never meant to be balanced in any way shape or form; and is in fact further proof that as flawed as 40k may be it is still the only game that can do all sizes of battle from a few skirmishers on a 4X4 board to thousands of models on... well any board you have room for.

Kirsten
10-15-2014, 02:55 PM
I wasn't an epic fan, would love to see a titan system come back though, with some awesome plastic titans.

40kGamer
10-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Really?

My group seems to have no trouble playing huge apocalypse games the way they're meant to be played, with massive titans striding forth to smite the enemy....
http://www.unrememberedlegion.com/2014/10/15/apocalypse-battle-report-narratives-part-1-the-battle-that-never-was/

First I have to say that the titans and game board look awesome! There’s nothing better then fully painted armies and terrain to get a person into the game! :)

Why don't you think 40k can capture that EPIC feeling? The problem in epic is that your infantry always felt like "oh they're just the parsely to my mashed potatoes".. meaning that they're there because either they have to be, or they just make the board look good. It was the titans and tanks that really did anything and even then it was really the super heavies who got things done.

There are several issues that come to mind. First off is that 40k games of 1750-2000 points are a terrible place to put Superheavies and Fliers. It can work in a closed setting where the game is essentially preplanned but pick up games become an exercise in futility. The rock/paper/scissors effect has always been an issue but blending Epic into the main game it is magnified to the point that one sided games are far more common. Plus there are huge issues with groundscale and timescale.

Apocalypse works as a game but it isn't 40k. To effectively represent what could be on an Epic table you can't play on a 6x4 table and you need several people per side. In fact to really represent the Epic groundscale you need to play in a gymnasium (which was a thing when the armorcast titans first came out.)

Fliers require a huge abstraction in the timescale within a game turn as you cannot simultaneously represent the fliers and the other action on such a constricted table.

I do agree that infantry felt a bit off in most versions of Epic but I also find most standard infantry doesn't accomplish much in the current 40k. Probably a side effect of more Epic scale mechanics blending into the game.

At least in 40k, you can have a moment like, when my Autarch deep struck in behind my friend's warlord titan with 2 Structure points left and managed to chain react it to oblivion with his fusion gun. Awesome narrative moments like that were few and far between in Epic. About the coolest thing that happened was when two mega titans got in close combat with each other....

40k for me has always been the narrative game but IMO the more Epic they blend in the less narrative it becomes.

That's not the problem with 40k; the problem is that somebody decided it might be a good idea to try and play tourneys with a narrative game built for fun. Apocalypse was always the same; narrative, it was never meant to be balanced in any way shape or form; and is in fact further proof that as flawed as 40k may be it is still the only game that can do all sizes of battle from a few skirmishers on a 4X4 board to thousands of models on... well any board you have room for.

40k definitely isn’t a well balanced tournament system by any stretch. Even if we side step the fact that GW used to be the ones promoting and running these events there’s the looming problem of the pick up game. My best pal and I have played against each other for over 20 years. Up until 40k transitioned into 6th-7th edition we never felt the need to discuss what we were going to use ahead of time. In fact unleashing a surprise was part of the fun of our random pickup games. Now it’s just not fun to play that way cause who wants to go “surprise” I brought a Revenant to a 1750 game. Not saying this is horrible but we have to either restrict the rules or plan the game together to make it worth playing.

Arkhan Land
10-15-2014, 10:30 PM
I miss Epic and BFG cause although I own probably close to 40 tanks and number of super-heavies. Its still a different kind of fun to do so even bigger. I want the old space battles. I never got to do it (cause quite frankly ive never had the money to shell out for anything but normal GW print), but watching people do the IA3 BFG battle as an outset for an campaign that was going to consume their lives for a week was kind of amazing, definitely what inspired me to get the few BFG pieces I did.

and also sort of thinking a now versus then sort of deal, Ive spent a carefully planned lotta-bucks on trying to appreciate larger and larger portrayals of the 40k universe, albeit in a smaller and possibly less glorious scale, Epic did kind of have the way less expensive version of that going till all the stuff went oop.
Though considering I always bring painted minis and have still yet to play an Apocalypse battle against a fully painted/finished army, the term less glorious could be argued/contested. This I attribute to the Expense of building large costly (in real bucks) units whose rules are changed up every new edition (every 3-5 years), every new codex (every 3-4 years in the alternating year) and every new apoclypse edition (every 3-5 years in another alternating year) not withstanding any dataslates, temporary/exploratory FW provided rules that one can download. Its tough keeping an army of 2000 up to date sometimes, let alone an army of 20k!

also on the main topic THANK YOU to all the people posting up pictures and info and culling it from other sites for us to read!

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-16-2014, 03:15 AM
To effectively represent what could be on an Epic table you can't play on a 6x4 table and you need several people per side. In fact to really represent the Epic groundscale you need to play in a gymnasium (which was a thing when the armorcast titans first came out.)

Agreed, when I played Epic - it actually was epic-scale, as in there would be space marine -legions- yes, yes legions, not chapters. One guy had litterally 10,000 epic space marines, and that isn't even counting all the tanks and titans he owned. My own Epic Necron army is about 3000 infantry and growing. I wouldnt even dream of painting that many models in 40k scale, and I'm certianly not Rich enough to buy that many.

Mr Mystery
10-16-2014, 03:24 AM
Epic was the first game I properly played. Many a happy weekend spent in the garage, playing against my brother and my mates.

Going to have to track down complete copies of all the rules, and then set about getting some armies together. Absolutely love the 2nd Ed Space Marine and Titan Legions rules.

Erik Setzer
10-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Really?

You can have moments like that in Epic too, at least in "Space Marine," before the mess they made with "Epic 40K." It's a different scale of epic moments, so yeah, individual infantry-size models won't often make a huge difference, but the little guys could sometimes have their moments, like when a Warbuggy took out a super-heavy tank that just happened to be Yarrick's command vehicle... and that's how he got captured by Ghazghkull, because of a crazy event that happened in a Space Marine battle report. I used mobs of Nobz to great effect. At the very least, they could reliably strip a Warlord Titan of all its shields.

But you're talking completely different settings, and to be honest, a lot of Apoc games end up seeing the infantry just be dressing on the side anyway. My Stompa mulched through all kinds of non-vehicle models (including Thunderwolf Cavalry and Centurions) while shooting a lot of tanks on its way to walking across the board to rip a tank's turret off and beat the tank with it (the tank kept trying to shoot the Stompa, but missing to an amazing degree). My Lord of Skulls has never taken a wound from infantry, but has a LOT of kills to its credit, including blasting a bunch of Space Marines with its Hellfire template and even killing Dante in the process. All my infantry did was clog up the middle of the table. It felt like a game of Epic 40K, only with larger models.

Erik Setzer
10-16-2014, 07:53 AM

*Sigh.*

Rogue Trader started out as a sort of RPG with minis, but quickly morphed into a miniatures game. Those are games with clear winner and loser. Regardless of how "narrative" you want it to be, people will want to win.

It was during 2nd edition - very early in 40K's lifetime - that GAMES WORKSHOP decided to host Grand Tournaments, and even threw in a couple of things to try to keep it balanced, such as removing a card from the strategy card deck that could just wreck a game depending on the armies involved. GAMES WORKSHOP, and the designers who made the games, decided to embrace that they made a game with winners and losers, and people like to compete.

It is ridiculous to hear people act like tournaments are something new that go against what GW and its designers intended. The guys who freaking wrote the games hosted the tournaments. Jervis and Andy would attend and help run them. IIRC, I think Tuomas and maybe someone else (Alessio?) won a tournament or two before coming to work for GW, so they were hiring people who played in that environment to come write the games for them (and people actually liked what those guys did). Games Workshop holds staff tournaments. Seriously, the people who are bashing tournaments and claiming that it's wrong for people to want to play tournaments are the ones who are actually going against what Games Workshop intends with its games.

You want "narrative" games where you don't keep track of score? Cool, fine. I enjoy games where there's a story to them and it might give someone a bonus or penalty, though we still figure out who won or lost, because, you know, that's kind of the point of a game. But in honesty, you're in a very small minority if you don't think equal competition matters. It's not a hobby of WAAC players, but everyone wants to win, and it's good to have an equal chance for everyone before you take into account factors like skill.

People need to stop perpetuating this false myth that the gamers introduced tournaments recently and it ruined 40K. Games Workshop created the tournament circuits, Games Workshop hired tournament players, Games Workshop still runs tournaments in their own offices, Games Workshop staff encourage tournaments, Games Workshop used to host a tournament system for stores, and it has been like this for twenty years or so. So seriously, just stop already.

Erik Setzer
10-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Epic was the first game I properly played. Many a happy weekend spent in the garage, playing against my brother and my mates.

Going to have to track down complete copies of all the rules, and then set about getting some armies together. Absolutely love the 2nd Ed Space Marine and Titan Legions rules.

It was the game that really introduced me to GW stuff. I saw some 40K and WFB here and there, but watching my dad and other folks playing Adeptus Titanicus in the back of a game shop captured my imagination in a huge way. I went ripping through the books reading the background, all the side-stories, looking at the art. I sat in class drawing Titans (which was kind of amusing in elementary school, but thankfully the teachers recognized I was, ah, "different"). When I finally got to join in with a Titan or two, I was ecstatic. And then I got started in 40K with a small force of Space Marines (Blood Angels, to be exact), saw the Orks... and the rest is history.

I actually got the Titan Legions box set as a birthday gift one year. Made me a happy guy. I still have a ton of Ork stuff (and some Eldar stuff that my brother played, but eh). Also have a few boxes of Squat stuff. Sadly, I don't have the core boxes, though I do have all the expansions except Tyranids. I'd love to find them all some day, that version of the game was awesome, before Epic 40K made it feel too generic and like playing a bunch of random 40K armies instead of an actual force made up of tank companies and infantry battalions and all that jazz.

Popsical
10-16-2014, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By86PcLufOU

Hurr hurr. Did i offend?

My point was, so many of the current 40k models were epic models, to say they were all rubbish but buy them or wamt them in 40k is a little silly.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-16-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm gonna make an Epic Nostalgia thread in General, so we don't continue to derail this thread...

Edit : here it is : http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?49925-The-Epic-Nostalgia-thread&p=455804#post455804

jonsgot
10-21-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm gonna make an Epic Nostalgia thread in General, so we don't continue to derail this thread...

Edit : here it is : http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?49925-The-Epic-Nostalgia-thread&p=455804#post455804

I've now posted most of the pictures I got at Warhammer Fest (http://chaptermasters.com/category/warhammer-fest/) on the chaptermasters site.

Here are a few
http://chaptermasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_2318-0.png
http://chaptermasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_2079.jpg
http://chaptermasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_20481.jpg
http://chaptermasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_2063.jpg