PDA

View Full Version : Three WIP 'Codexes'

Herald of Nurgle
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I've uploaded two codexes to Scribd.com in PDF form which I have been working on recently - namely, a big 40 page Chaos book (epicly WIP) and Dark Eldar (kthx to the Master for inspiring me to bother).
Also Tau (Ethereals actually happen to be worth taking in this one).

Can't guarantee that they're balanced or OP, but that's why i'm throwing them to you... ;)

Chaos Legions: HERE (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26225522/Warhammer-40-000-Fanmade-Chaos-Legions-5th-Ed?secret_password=raeo1i14kiv1eb0iq0c)
Dark Eldar:
- Codex and Weapon Summary: HERE (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26225856?secret_password=1w78sxjopsoh1bfa7y4d)
- Characters: HERE (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26327686?secret_password=1ke2to67ocn9mke25upr)
Tau Empire:
- Codex: HERE (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26226089?secret_password=1en3b6q7xzrty8ds2935)
- Weapon Summary: HERE (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26226074?secret_password=1lea63rh4gmb9304695z)

(isn't worth looking at the fluff for most of the legions and special characters...)

Faultie
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Put the Kroot Gun back to S7, the rifle back to S4.
Drop the Kroot Rifle to Assault 1 (it's a single-shot breach loader, after all), and make the Kroot Gun Heavy 2, but add Relentless to the Krootox. Twin-Linked should be an upgrade, not a default option for the Krootox (since, you know, there's only 1 gun on it).

I'll read through the rest later.

Master Bryss
02-02-2010, 04:37 AM
On the Dark Eldar

Hmm...sneaky, getting in before I actually finish mine! Initial thoughts:

Not so sure about giving them Furious Charge, it makes sense but it seems wrong to me to give Dark Eldar a strength bonus for charging

Incubi are loads better with loads more powers and they're cheaper?

I'd add Dodge to the list of purchaseable Wych Powers, say a 5+ Inv Save in combat for 3 points a head.

FOUR HEAVY WEAPONS IN A TROOP SQUAD? (initial reaction to Warrior entry, otherwise it's very good.)

The entire list seems to be drifting away from the army's image of lightly-armoured raiders (armour 14 in fast attack?) Are you going for a different vision of what it means to be a Dark Eldar?

Herald of Nurgle
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Dark Eldar (Master B)
The armour 14 is because I wanted a bigass Valkyrie-thing which is actually meant to be a proper flyer built for Space but being deployed down here. TBH I get your point - i'm dropping it to 12/11/10 or something to make it seem 'right'.

The 4 Heavy Weapons comes with not being able to ride a Raider - that's rather awkward for DE as far as i've seen. I added that in order to give you a benefit for not going for the cliched 'yellow flying thing' approach, as well as pretty much the equivilent of CSM Havocs.

The Wych 'Dodge' thing i'm fine with. Cheers for the idea. The Incubi... yeah, i'm intending on adding putting them up in points, but what do you think of the abilities i've given them?

I see Dark Eldar as being infatuated with pain, much like I am in RL :P. Cheers for finally giving me a reason to do some - if it wasn't for your WIP DE, this would have been the last redux i'd be getting to (right after me finishing the FULL edition of my Lost and the Damned book, ofc)

And don't worry - obviously i've still got all 10 characters to write up for the DE! :)

Tau - Faultie
Cheers for the weapon feedback - that was probably the most main change with the codex :)

I have to admit that I like the profiles of the guns quite at lot at the moment. While i'm removing the Twin Linked aspect (Knarlocs only now), the Kroot Gun never seemed to fit the Strength 7 profile that well. The Rifle also seems to be a bit... flimsy, to be perfectly honest. I'm certainly removing the Assault 2 Under Half Range part of the Kroot Rifle though - still better than Rapid Fire, right?

Can't wait to see the comments on the actual codex >_>

Faultie
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Tau - Faultie
Cheers for the weapon feedback - that was probably the most main change with the codex :)

I have to admit that I like the profiles of the guns quite at lot at the moment. While i'm removing the Twin Linked aspect (Knarlocs only now), the Kroot Gun never seemed to fit the Strength 7 profile that well. The Rifle also seems to be a bit... flimsy, to be perfectly honest. I'm certainly removing the Assault 2 Under Half Range part of the Kroot Rifle though - still better than Rapid Fire, right?

Can't wait to see the comments on the actual codex >_>
I still haven't had time to look through (although I've seen a previous version of this same on), the Kroot Gun is S7, and the Kroot Rifle S4, for the specific reason that they fire Pulse rounds, like the Tau Pulse Rifle. The Tau supply the ammunition. The gun is small and simple, but the ammo is quite advanced. Thus, the rifle is only S4 (less than a Pulse Rifle, but nearly as good as a bolter), and the Krootgun is smaller than, say, an autocannon, but it's okay because it doesn't fire primitive shells, it fires large Pulse Rounds.

I play lots of Kroot, and have helped with LOTS of Kroot (Merc and otherwise) fandex projects. Almost everyone changes the rifle to Assault 1, and the Gun to Assault 2 (or Heavy 2, with Relentless on the Krootox and Knarlocs). However, messing with the Strength is lacks a fluff or mechanical justification, and seems like a change for no reason at all.

Herald of Nurgle
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Ok I get what you mean then lmao.
Kroot Gun now Str 7 AP 5, ***. 3
Kroot Rifle now Str 4 AP 6, ***. 1

That sound good? The Gun isn't mounted on anything other than the Knarloc and Krootox anyway, so Relentless isn't really an issue (plus, this is only a temporary version - like CL, i'm intending on making a version that looks more like the current GW codexes soon enough - and I don't have the space for <every> rule right now.

Master Bryss
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Dark Eldar (Master B)
The armour 14 is because I wanted a bigass Valkyrie-thing which is actually meant to be a proper flyer built for Space but being deployed down here. TBH I get your point - i'm dropping it to 12/11/10 or something to make it seem 'right'.

The 4 Heavy Weapons comes with not being able to ride a Raider - that's rather awkward for DE as far as i've seen. I added that in order to give you a benefit for not going for the cliched 'yellow flying thing' approach, as well as pretty much the equivilent of CSM Havocs.

The Wych 'Dodge' thing i'm fine with. Cheers for the idea. The Incubi... yeah, i'm intending on adding putting them up in points, but what do you think of the abilities i've given them?

I see Dark Eldar as being infatuated with pain, much like I am in RL :P. Cheers for finally giving me a reason to do some - if it wasn't for your WIP DE, this would have been the last redux i'd be getting to (right after me finishing the FULL edition of my Lost and the Damned book, ofc)

And don't worry - obviously i've still got all 10 characters to write up for the DE! :)

My pleasure.

The 4 DLs make a bit more sense now, and that's a pretty potent scoring unit too.

I really like the Incubi, and the 'Lightning Claws' is a pretty good idea, considering that Drazhar fights with twin slashy things. 'Scythes of Agony' or similar jumps to me for a cooler name.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to DE. But you've given me plenty of ideas for finishing my final thing... once I actually have time to think up the Khainite units I'm running. Exam period sucks.

Also on the Incubi, you've made them S3 (4) as they are now but you haven't explained it, whereas the old Punisher entry stated it put Strength up. Something to sort, maybe.

Herald of Nurgle
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
My pleasure.

The 4 DLs make a bit more sense now, and that's a pretty potent scoring unit too.

I really like the Incubi, and the 'Lightning Claws' is a pretty good idea, considering that Drazhar fights with twin slashy things. 'Scythes of Agony' or similar jumps to me for a cooler name.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to DE. But you've given me plenty of ideas for finishing my final thing... once I actually have time to think up the Khainite units I'm running. Exam period sucks.

Also on the Incubi, you've made them S3 (4) as they are now but you haven't explained it, whereas the old Punisher entry stated it put Strength up. Something to sort, maybe.
Oh yeah, that's something I missed lmao! That's just like Plague Marines - they're T 4(5) though that's at least put down to the MoN! I'll add that in ASAP. And the Claws... well, that was spontaneous and was just inspired by Terminators lol!

Can't wait for the Special Character phase really tbh... I LOVE the idea of the DE characters, but at the same time I want to have a unique figure for each of the big units. A fiery 'Sky Scourge' character to allow for a Zagstrukk figure, while Urien Rakarth allows for whole units of Haemonculi. That's one of the awesome parts about DE, of course - unlike Tau, they have loads of different roles to fill with characters and such >_>

(updated DE redux with a few revisions - Wych Gladiators are now better in close combat, while the Wych Hunters are the perfect anti Beasts)

Master Bryss
02-03-2010, 06:37 AM
DE special characters are defenitely good fun to write, I'd like to think of more myself!

Any chance of seeing your vision of Arhra?

Herald of Nurgle
02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Writing it up... but unfortunately since i'm doing all of them onto A4 portrait in 'full detail' they may take a bit longer - sorry. :(

EDIT: Here's the characters i've done so far. Only Lelith and Arhra are there, but they've got full fluff and wargear. It's a six page PDF, but two are in use - the top two. Kthx for the inspiration btw... though i've not seen your ARhra yet >_>
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26327686?secret_password=1ke2to67ocn9mke25upr

Herald of Nurgle
02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
BUMP

Updated the Character PDF for Dark Eldar with Vect and Drazhar. I'm sure you'll love Vect >_>
(no there isn't pr0n in his entry!)

Master Bryss
02-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Your guys have much better fluff than mine, and are a lot more powerful too, with nice rules. Black Arhra's Armour a little too harsh on shooters, I'd maybe downgrade it to just doing the Night Fight thing.

My Arhra's more closely tied to the Phoenix Lord model and makes Incubi troops. He now lives at the top of my HQ section on my Codex thread, and is my first ever character (pride)

So, who are you doing? I'm thinking of:

Arhra, claro
Vect
Lelith
Drazhar
Urien Rakarth
Decapitator (as upgrade to Mandrakes or Stalkers)
A Hellbat/Scourge Champion
A mad vehicle pilot
A Khainite character

Herald of Nurgle
02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
The Khaine Scorpion was always intended to be a character in my book - simply because I LOOOOVE the FW Brass Scorpion model and think it would do for Dark Eldar.

No Kruellagh the Vile?

Master Bryss
02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't really like Kruellagh that much, as she's not really different to a souped-up Archon wearing a reject Wonder Woman outfit.

I might completely reinvent her as a slave-master type character, possibly with 101 slaves of her own! Naah, but I'd like to do a slaver-type character.

Herald of Nurgle
02-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Added two old characters and a new one - Decapitator, Urien Rakarth and his (new) apprentice Bob... I mean Rakin, everybody! I'm really iffy about both the rules and fluff for Rakin tbh, but it's better than some others (more original than Lukas the Trickster!)

This pretty much ends my run of vital Dark Eldar updates. Decapitator is a WIP, as well as a big guy we'll all enjoy. I'll give you a hint... it's name rhymes with Sylar Mensa Mane.

Herald of Nurgle
02-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd love to see some comments, please...

Master Bryss
02-07-2010, 07:01 AM
You'll see some comments when I finally memorise the formation of a corrie!

Anyway, couple of things:

Why does Rakin have Preferred Enemy: Striking Scorpions?

Decapitator's description made me laugh, and the rules are great. In fact, I like all of these guys

This Golden King Sylar you mentioned... he better not gain people's special rules if he kills them!

Herald of Nurgle
02-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Oops! That's a blooper - he's not a king he's just a very naughty boy! As is the Rakin thing (no Striking Scorpions were killed in the making of that model! Only slightly traumatised..)

Herald of Nurgle
02-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Final Dark Eldar character has been done...

The Avatar emerges from his Vessel, born once again on this realm.

Master Bryss
02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Is that a direct response to me bringing out two more myself?

Why is he T6(7)? Have you, in your infinite wisdom, given Kaela Mensha Khaine the Mark of Nurgle? I know it's in your name, but this is overkill :D

I love the concept of a close-combat melta weapon.

The wording of Molten Body is a bit odd, as skim-readers may be led to think Flamestorms can hurt the Avatar, but I know you meant 'are affected BY the Avatar' by stating 'affect the Avatar'. Something to sort, perhaps.

The casket is a great idea, and gives me an idea of how I'll write the Archangel of Pain wargear back into my book.

As faithful to the original as the Inspirational rule is, I think a Dark Eldar Avatar should be more terrifying than inspirational.

It's a good character though.

Herald of Nurgle
02-07-2010, 10:02 AM
The Avatar isn't a DE Avatar or a CWE Avatar. He is THE Avatar. He is born from your deepest fears, your deepest doubts, and has returned to destroy in the name of the 'Greater Good' of the Eldar race.
Neither is he terrifying or inspirational. If anything, he inspires and imbues those around him with a portion of his prowess. Couldn't think of any way to describe that.

The 6(7) was another blooper - he's 7 on the turn that he rises out of his Vessel (this is alongside having a 2+ Invulnerable Save as well!) but reverts to 6 in all turns onwards. I'm glad you like the Melta CCW though - who doesn't like having 7+3d6 for Armour Penetration?

Herald of Nurgle
02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Bump?

Master Bryss
02-16-2010, 11:21 AM
I'll tell you who doesn't like 7+3D6 for armour penetration- the poor sod playing Guard who has to fight it next!

3D6? I thought it was 2D6? 3D6 is truly scary. Would you get a Destroyer hit if you reached 20?

If not, that had better be a typo.

Herald of Nurgle
02-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Mneh. True enough. 3d6+6 maybe - oh wait, that's still an average of 16/17. Yeep (and 20 still wouldn't be Str D lmao. Maybe Apoc...)
I'll edit that ASAP.

I'd love to see some Tau and/or Chaos c&c plx.

Master Bryss
02-18-2010, 06:27 AM
I play Tau from time to time, so I'll give some feedback on this.

Weapons: I really like what you've done here, especially putting up Rapid Fire range on the Pulse Rifle.

Army Rules: Shouldn't the Artillery Strike be at least a small blast weapon?

Ethereal: Yup, I'd take one. Gotta love the Dueling Techniques.

Devilfish: Bit odd this one, having a twin-linked burst cannon while the model's only got one. The point of dedicated transports is that they're cheap squad carriers. This is more expensive and more powerful. I'd try to modify it, possibly put its cost down to 75 or 80, give it Drones and a single burst cannon, and make BS4 an upgrade.

For Greater Knarlocs I'm not sure I get the point of the Stupid Creatures rule. Can you explain why it's there?

Anghor Prok's summary names him as Farsight.

Aun'shi is back, and better than ever. Good call.

Well that's Tau at a glance. Good army, not much wrong with it.