PDA

View Full Version : Favorite New Undead Legion Tricks and Combos

CrimsonTurkey
09-23-2014, 01:19 PM
We have a whole new can of (gross, decayed) worms to play with. What are some of your favorite combos thus far?

I've taken to liking a big block of VC skeletons with the screaming banner lead by a tomb prince wearing the Terrifying Mask of EEE. If I'm really feeling like putting a lot of eggs in that basket, I'll throw a vampire with aura of dark majesty and fear incarnate in there. It's probably more points than it's worth, but zombies and ghouls and dire wolves are all ugly, with their rotting flesh, and not something a proud, courtly vampire like myself has any interest in being seen with.

What have you been playing with, and how are the Morghasts faring?

Erik Setzer
10-02-2014, 09:16 AM
I've been playing with "The Rule of Cool," so basically what I have and what I think looks nice.

My first game (2500), I had a block of 40 Skeletons, two blocks of 16 Skeleton Archers, 9 Black Knights with the +1 to hit banner backed by a Vampire Lord tooled up, Level 4 Liche Priest, 10 Dire Wolves, Warsphinx, Wight BSB, Terrorgheist, and four Morghast Archai. In my second match, my opponent wanted to face off against Nagash, so I dropped the Vampire, Black Knights, and Warsphinx to fit him in there. Same points.

The Morghasts are pretty nice, overall, but can run into trouble. Remember their minuses to lost wounds! My first match with them, I lost a couple to a flank charge by a Dark Elf Lord in chariot (then got them back), but eventually beat up the chariot and made the character run. Second match, they ended up having to try to hold back a block of, IIRC, 50 Empire Halberdiers with the double rank bonus banner and a character or two. Would have actually done a decent job if I hadn't forgotten to subtract things from the wounds lost to combat res (-4 total with Morghasts, BSB, and Nagash all close enough). They're really best with support, though.

My absolute favorite trick is Lore of Nehekhara. Bubble hit the whole army with the extra move, and you get all kinds of extra movement (useful to reposition units, for example) and you regain wounds. You can also bubble hit the whole army for +1 Attack and Multiple Shots (2), same deal with the regain wounds. I managed to get off some nice spells in my first game and brought back nearly every model that had been killed. A Terrorgheist being able to get even just 10" more movement can help get him out of trouble and/or put him in position to scream at a target, and you can help make sure it's more effective my bringing back his wounds.

Nagash is too much of a "one-trick pony," you basically have to summon units to make up for him dropping your army's effectiveness. But on the plus side, if you get off the spells, it gets ugly. In the first turn, I summoned a unit of Black Knights right beside my opponent's cannons, and I also summoned a Level 3 Necromancer with Lore of Death. But then he went a couple of turns without being able to get a spell off. Oh, but then, then he did get one off! He used the +20 (60 for him) points from the Lore Attribute and cast the summon Monster spell boosted with those to summon forth Mannfred... who promptly started eating stuff. The ability to summon a freaking Mortach onto the table is just sick.

And here's where I'm going to get into more shenanigans... even beyond the summoning-a-****ing-Mortach level.

So, you know how armies only have one Battle Standard Bearer? Well, I'm sure the Undead Legions list says you can only buy one, so you can't just buy one from each type of Hero to start the game. Though I need to look that up at home, because hey, maybe you can. There's no rule saying you can't have more than one BSB in an army, I just checked the rulebook (yay for digital version!). It seems the only restriction is each army says "*One* of X Hero can be upgraded to a BSB." Ah, but that's for selecting an army. Summoning? Oh, you can summon BSBs all day, one a turn, with Nagash. Bonus tomfoolery: Summoned units and characters "can take any upgrades allowed, up to the points summoned" (paraphrasing, not exact quote). So the belief is that it includes magic items. Meaning you have 185 points to add a BSB with a magic banner to your army. Additional -1 wound lost bubble, plus whatever the banner itself does. And while he has to start outside a unit, you can follow up the summoning with the LoN bubble move spell (or Van Hel's, I suppose) and use that to move the character into the unit.

Have fun with that concept.

CrimsonTurkey
10-05-2014, 06:33 PM
I hadn't considered summoning BSBs yet. That's really nasty, and not something that the average opponent will see coming. I like it just as much as I like the ability to say "SUDDEN TERRORGHEIST!"

I'm happy to hear that you're liking the morghasts, the models are so damn cool I know I want a few.

Erik Setzer
10-07-2014, 12:31 PM
I hadn't considered summoning BSBs yet. That's really nasty, and not something that the average opponent will see coming. I like it just as much as I like the ability to say "SUDDEN TERRORGHEIST!"

I'm happy to hear that you're liking the morghasts, the models are so damn cool I know I want a few.

The models are even cooler when you see them beside other stuff. They are Daemon Prince size. Seriously. Stand just a touch taller than my Warsphinx. That means they can see over units in front of them, allowing them to use a unit to block charges while they can still charge over it, but it also means they can be seen over any unit in front of them. There isn't really anything out there than can block LOS to a unit of Morghasts, except maybe Nagash.