PDA

View Full Version : Outflanking + Trygon Tunnel

whitestar333
01-30-2010, 09:12 AM
I was thinking about the rules for the Trygon tunnel and it states that any infantry that has been held in reserve may utilize the tunnel when they arrive from reserves. However, if I hold my genestealers in reserve to outflank, can they use the tunnel when they arrive instead? The rules seem to suggest that I can, and it doesn't sound terribly cheesy (can't assault from the tunnel), but it'd be an interesting tactical option for units who might arrive late in the battle...

Fizyx
01-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I was thinking about the rules for the Trygon tunnel and it states that any infantry that has been held in reserve may utilize the tunnel when they arrive from reserves. However, if I hold my genestealers in reserve to outflank, can they use the tunnel when they arrive instead? The rules seem to suggest that I can, and it doesn't sound terribly cheesy (can't assault from the tunnel), but it'd be an interesting tactical option for units who might arrive late in the battle...

This is something still being debated. The codex states it may enter via the tunnel instead of its normal entry from reserves. Whether that includes all reserves or just those from table edge reserves has not been concluded. Right now I would ask your opponent before the game and come to a decision then, and not on turn three :D

david5th
01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
This should be fine as long as your opponent knows that you outflanking units will not be outflanking.

bob9801
01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
It does say they may enter through the tunnel instead of their normal way. so if you declare that a unit will outflank wouldn't that be the "normal" way, and then instead of entering normally (outflanking) they would use the tunnel. That was my interpretation. it is up to your opponent if it is still debated but I thought it was pretty plain. Is outflanking not considered normal for a unit that can outflank?

bob9801
01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
I just remembered one of the genesteelers abilities being related. it has the ability to be dormant in a piece of area terrain which you right down secretly until they arrive from reserve. in that case I would say they cannot use the trygon tunnel. I still stand by them using the tunnel rather than outflanking from the sides.

AdamHarry
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Reserving is not Outflanking.

Reserving comes in from your board edge, or in this case from the Trigon Tunnel.

Outflanking comes in from one of the side board edges, not from your table edge.

This is like asking if i can reserve in a deepstriking unit instead of deep striking. Deepstriking/Reserving/Outflanking are all different abilities and not interchangable. Once something is declared as Deepstriking/Reserving/Outflanking it has to enter the game the way you declared or you're cheating. (not implying you're attempting to cheat just wanted to point this out.)

But it's a good question. Hope this helps.

AbusePuppy
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Reserving is not Outflanking.

Reserving comes in from your board edge, or in this case from the Trigon Tunnel.

Outflanking comes in from one of the side board edges, not from your table edge.

This is like asking if i can reserve in a deepstriking unit instead of deep striking. Deepstriking/Reserving/Outflanking are all different abilities and not interchangable. Once something is declared as Deepstriking/Reserving/Outflanking it has to enter the game the way you declared or you're cheating. (not implying you're attempting to cheat just wanted to point this out.)

But it's a good question. Hope this helps.

I was inclined to say the same thing, but it's relevant to note that the Trygon allows infantry units to enter via the tunnel "instead of arriving as normal." This implies, to me, that the entry tunnel replaces their normal method of entry- whatever that might be.

Outflanking and Deep Striking are actually both types of reserve, though, but they are special types of reserves that must be announced at the beginning of the game.

DarkLink
01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I just remembered one of the genesteelers abilities being related. it has the ability to be dormant in a piece of area terrain which you right down secretly until they arrive from reserve. in that case I would say they cannot use the trygon tunnel. I still stand by them using the tunnel rather than outflanking from the sides.

Those are ymgarl genestealers, a separate unit. Those rules don't apply to normal genestealers, and ymgarl genestealers may only arrive via the meathod mentioned, I believe.

AbusePuppy
02-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Those are ymgarl genestealers, a separate unit. Those rules don't apply to normal genestealers, and ymgarl genestealers may only arrive via the meathod mentioned, I believe.

Ymgarl Genestealers may elect to start play "dormant" in a piece of area terrain.