PDA

View Full Version : Kinslayer - Book I of The Doom of Gotrek Gurnisson.

Mr Mystery
09-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Yep, taken the plunge.

Anyone else read it yet?

Deadlift
09-18-2014, 01:49 PM
SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD, THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW SPOILERS TALKED ABOUT. IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPOIL SOME OF THE MORE IMPORTENT PLOT POINTS FOR YOURSELF, TURN BACK NOW.
Took the plunge, read it, finished it and loved it. Although it takes time to actually get round to Gotrek. Snorri plays a huge part in this book.

Mr Mystery
09-18-2014, 02:00 PM
YAY SNORRI!

I love Snorri. Snorri is the besterest Slayer ever!

And in my head, you're the Snorri of BoLS big man :)

Deadlift
09-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Lol, cheers. I think :D

eldargal
09-19-2014, 02:20 AM
Is this the one Ulrika reappears in?

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Oh yes.

And how.

Unusually for Gotrek and Felix, this one is part of the main story. You'll recognise certain situations!

Ulrika is particularly cool so far. Bought it around ooh, 7:54 last night? Already about half way through....

eldargal
09-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Sounds good. They better not make hr a villain or kill her off.

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 02:54 AM
She's at least 200% more badass than the Bloodborn series - she's clearly settled into her fate with aplomb!

As for her fate? I dunno. Blurb promises not everyone survives, but with Gotrek, Felix, Max, Snorri and Ulrika in that mix? Who knows!

If Snorri pegs it, I hope it's a properly glorious death. He is by far my favourite literary creation ever, and this book has so far done nothing but add to that!

eldargal
09-19-2014, 03:15 AM
If she is being unusually badass then they will probably kill her off. Can't have a woman being badass, it shows up the men. They will probably have Felix do it too, for the Manpain.

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Stop being such a negative nancy and have a read of the book already!

eldargal
09-19-2014, 03:20 AM
Meh, will read it if the new author manages to avoid killing off one of the few badass women characters in WFB.

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 03:24 AM
How will you know if you don't reads it?

Actually....just spoliered it.

You may not want to read it.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Ask friends probly.

- - - Updated - - -

Was it Felix? I bet it was Felix. She couldn't control the monster within her so he had to put her down with tears in his eyes, but still totes manfully. Then he has a brief but manly cry and goes off to save the ****ing world.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 03:57 AM
Seriously though tell me she at least went down fighting overwhelming odds against Chaos or something.

Psychosplodge
09-19-2014, 04:05 AM
YAY SNORRI!

I love Snorri. Snorri is the besterest Slayer ever!

And in my head, you're the Snorri of BoLS big man :)

If he's still alive doesn't that make him a failure as a slayer?

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 04:09 AM
Well, yes. But he's harder than Gotrek!

As for Ulrika's apparent demise? I say apparent because I've not actually read that far. Had a wee spolier peep.

Mentions the vision of a headless corpse. I reckon Throgg got her. Or possibly Gotrek.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 04:12 AM
Well if she goes down in combat that wouldn't be terrible. Not by Gotrek though, still not over the misogynist way he murdered the werewolf girl who helped save them in one of the early short stories. 'Yeah so you helped us and all but im just deciding your inherently evil and have to die lol bye'.

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 04:56 AM
He's a Slayer, it's what he does. And he's been itching to put Ulrika in her grave ever since she was turned.

And seeing he's a different species, is it really misogyny? Not mansplaining, just asking.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Well the problem with the werewolf is she hadn't actually done anything that G&F hadn't done, namely kill anyone who attacked then. But he just decided she was evil and chopped off her head and we just accept his word because he is the protagonist.. I felt it had very patriarchal and sexist overtones personally.

As for Ulrika I think she deserves better than to be murdered by one of her former friends. Have her die fighting epically if you must but I really don't want her to die at all, not in someone elses ****ing novel when she had three of her own. It would be like killing Gotrek off in one of her novels, disrespectful to the character and her fans.

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 05:03 AM
Is that not a huge part of Gotrek's character though, that he's riddled with horrendous double standards?

eldargal
09-19-2014, 05:04 AM
Is that not a huge part of Gotrek's character though, that he's riddled with horrendous double standards?
Sure, still felt it was sexist though. Not the only sexist element in the G&F books either, King was quite problematic at times.

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Never having read them through that particular lens I can't really comment further :)

Kind of hoping it's not Ulrika that's carked it.

Plus, being Vampire, just how dead she is is a matter very much up for debate.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 05:26 AM
I hope so too, if it was just some vision which could be aimed at screwing Felix up that would be ok

Well if she does get killed I can't imagine Felix spending the next book trying to have her resurrected and I doubt Nagash is going to do it either.

Deadlift
09-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Sounds good. They better not make hr a villain or kill her off.

She's got a huge role in the book.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Good. They still better not kill her off. She is the most developed female character in WFB and if she dies she should die well in her own novel.

Edit: And she ****ing well better not get killed by Felix or Max.

Deadlift
09-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Good. They still better not kill her off. She is the most developed female character in WFB and if she dies she should die well in her own novel.

I'm not going to spoil it for you or anyone else ;). I will PM you if you really wish to know
The book does get rather tragic.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 06:54 AM
A friend of mine is going to let me know what happens when she finishes it.

But I will be so pissed if she dies unless it is ****ing gloriously. Her getting her own novel(s) was the first sign GW might be taking female characters seriously and if she gets bumped off in a G&F book it will be bad enough but it had better be good.

Deadlift
09-19-2014, 07:06 AM
If Snorri pegs it, I hope it's a properly glorious death. He is by far my favourite literary creation ever, and this book has so far done nothing but add to that!

What I love about Snorri, is his child like simplicity. He's older and maybe a little wiser in this book. He's also got some deamons from his past to exercise. It's why he comes across so simple. It helps him forget just how tragic his past is. I love the old Slayer too. He has a kind heart and puts Gotreks black and white attitude to shame most of the time.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Yeah Snorri is pretty cool.

Mr Mystery
09-19-2014, 07:17 AM
I still want to do a kid's book called 'And Snorri shall have a Bucket of Vodka'.

involving such lines as.....

"See Snorri charge the Trolls. Can you count how many there are? Snorri can't"

eldargal
09-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Ask friends probly.

- - - Updated - - -

Was it Felix? I bet it was Felix. She couldn't control the monster within her so he had to put her down with tears in his eyes, but still totes manfully. Then he has a brief but manly cry and goes off to save the ****ing world.
****ing nailed it. What a deeply disturbing, creepy and sexist ****ing scenario that was. I am done with Black Library and if GW **** up End Times and Dark Eldar I'm done with them. Oh the only bit I didn't get what was where Mx tells Felix he didn't need to kill her, that was just ****ing brilliant. Not even angry, just over this ****. Not even going to bother sending BL a letter like I used to.

Oh and then all the focus is on how sad and tragic ****ing Felix is, nevermind the fact he just murdered his ex unnecessarily. This was a horrible example of the Women in Refrigerators trope. Ulrika had her own ****ing trilogy of books and then they kill her off solely to make Felix look like a tragic hero. so done.

White Tiger88
09-19-2014, 11:40 PM
****ing nailed it. What a deeply disturbing, creepy and sexist ****ing scenario that was. I am done with Black Library and if GW **** up End Times and Dark Eldar I'm done with them. Oh the only bit I didn't get what was where Mx tells Felix he didn't need to kill her, that was just ****ing brilliant. Not even angry, just over this ****. Not even going to bother sending BL a letter like I used to.

Oh and then all the focus is on how sad and tragic ****ing Felix is, nevermind the fact he just murdered his ex unnecessarily. This was a horrible example of the Women in Refrigerators trope. Ulrika had her own ****ing trilogy of books and then they kill her off solely to make Felix look like a tragic hero. so done.

WTF???? THEY KILLED OFF THE COOLEST FEMALE CHAR???? Well then! **** you black Library, **** you.

Also hope she comes back going "Screw you guys its on" And kills them all well siding with Nagash.

eldargal
09-19-2014, 11:44 PM
Yup, really, really badly too. Like imagine if Gotrek fell down some stairs, broke his arms and Felix stabbed him in the face because Gotrek had lost his respect and you would be approaching how terrible this is. I mean I kind of expected her to die in this obok, I atl east hoped she would die well in a way that was consistent with her development in her novels but lolnope.

I have better things to do than support companies that let their authors treat prominent female characters like this. Soo done.

White Tiger88
09-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Yup, really, really badly too. Like imagine if Gotrek fell down some stairs, broke his arms and Felix stabbed him in the face because Gotrek had lost his respect and you would be approaching how terrible this is.

I have better things to do than support companies that let their authors treat prominent female characters like this. Soo done.

Sad part is she is only the second female vampire to have this crap pulled on her......... Hopefully like i said above she come's back and kills them all yelling "NAGASH FOR THE WIN *** HATS"

(Also i stopped buying GW books after they started killing off ANY character who wasn't black\white personality wise. (Remember kids! Kill off the cool chick everyone likes and leave the dwarf everyone WANTS DEAD! Because GW logic!)

On a side note anyone want to buy ALL my Black Library books? If not anyone want to have a bonfire.........

Mr Mystery
09-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Book is awesome though.

And there is good reason Felix does her in.

SPOILER COMING!

Essentially, they're in Praag, and having largely subsisted off of chaos tained blood, even going so far as to scoff a Troll, Ulrika loses it properly. There's an argument she lost it to the degree that Felix did not in fact kill Ulrika, but The Beast inside her.

eldargal
09-20-2014, 01:20 AM
Except Max says he didn't have to do it. It shouldn't have happened and it shouldn't have been written as to focus the entire thing on how sad it makes him. It was a despicable and sexist death to the single most developed female character in WFB.

I read back three chapters then up to the end so I have some idea of the context of the death itself and it was still completely unnecessary and horriblly, horribly done. That bit where Max and Felix were standing over her corpse effectively judging her was one of the most disgusting things I've read in fiction in a long time.

Deadlift
09-20-2014, 01:26 AM

Not sure how much of a decapitating kills vamps in GW lore, but after reading the suvivability of many other vampires. I wouldn't be surprised if she's going to come back at some point.......and pretty pissed off and uber powerful too.

Spoiler

Me, I'm still mourning the death of Snorri......I'm hating Gotrek right now.

eldargal
09-20-2014, 01:28 AM
Not sure how much of a decapitating kills vamps in GW lore, but after reading the suvivability of many other vampires. I wouldn't be surprised if she's going to come back at some point.......and pretty pissed of and uber powerful too.

Depends on the plot really. They can certainly be revived with some ffort, perhaps less with Shyish being freed. I hope they do something like that, otherwise it is a ****ing disgusting end to the only WFB woman character to really be fleshed out. Three novels for gods sake, Neferata and Valkia got one each and that's basically it for female lead books. Killing her off to make Felix look tragic is just a disgrace.

Snorri was sad also, much better send off with genuine emotional impact though. Guymer is obviously a good writer but he ****ed up royally with Ulrika.

Mr Mystery
09-20-2014, 01:44 AM
I nearly cried at Snorri's Doom :(

eldargal
09-20-2014, 01:49 AM
I didn't, too cranky about Ulrika.:p Brothers had to physically stop me throwing my WFB books in the burninator.

Mr Mystery
09-20-2014, 04:16 AM
[insert sexist remark]

Deadlift
09-20-2014, 06:48 AM
SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD, THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW SPOILERS TALKED ABOUT. IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPOIL SOME OF THE MORE IMPORTENT PLOT POINTS FOR YOURSELF, TURN BACK NOW.
Took the plunge, read it, finished it and loved it. Although it takes time to actually get round to Gotrek. Snorri plays a huge part in this book.

stuck this at the beginning of the thread, you never know we may spoil the story for some folks.

Mr Mystery
09-20-2014, 07:15 AM
True that!

Also Spoilers for the following End Times books!

Aegwymourn
09-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Could someone PM me the details of Snorri's doom? Or post it up in the thread. I haven't read the slayer novels in a long time (since giant-slayer), but always wanted to know how his doom would be re-written (there was a short story in the 4th? edition empire book that Snorri died to a group of trolls).

Mr Mystery
09-20-2014, 10:44 AM
PM sent dude.

Skeith154
09-20-2014, 05:10 PM
So the death Ulrika seems to have people pretty steamed. I mostly concern my self with the time of legends books, so I don't know about her very much. how did she come about? and she was some kind of friendly neighborhood vampire deal?

Deadlift
09-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Gotrek and Felix met her pre vamp, Felix, Max and Ulrika had this love triangle thing going on and Felix was romantically linked with her at some point. When she was "reborn" Ulrika had a trilogy written, which I've not read.
She's a pretty cool character. A strong capable woman who's an equal to any of the men in the books and killing her off was a bit surprising. I don't think this will be the end of her though. Vampires have a habit or coming back. Ulrika had also been feeding on Trolls and I wouldn't be surprised if the authors use their regenerative nature and pass it onto her via her feeding. Vamps have this ability in the world of WFB but I could see drinking troll blood enhancing that.

eldargal
09-21-2014, 12:50 AM
So the death Ulrika seems to have people pretty steamed. I mostly concern my self with the time of legends books, so I don't know about her very much. how did she come about? and she was some kind of friendly neighborhood vampire deal?

What Deadlift said. She started in the Gotrek and Felix novels where she was already an unusually good female character for BL at the time, then she got her own series of novels and has thus had more written about her than any GW female character to date. So having her killed off in a really bad way in someone elses novel is like a huge slap in the face.

Not to mention the really, really creepy overtones of having a guy kill his 'crazy' ex-girlfriend.

Decided I will write a (polite) letter to BL explaining why this is a big deal and begging them to bring her back somehow. Encourage anyone else who cares to do the same.

Deadlift
09-21-2014, 03:15 AM
What Deadlift said. She started in the Gotrek and Felix novels where she was already an unusually good female character for BL at the time, then she got her own series of novels and has thus had more written about her than any GW female character to date. So having her killed off in a really bad way in someone elses novel is like a huge slap in the face.

Not to mention the really, really creepy overtones of having a guy kill his 'crazy' ex-girlfriend.

Decided I will write a (polite) letter to BL explaining why this is a big deal and begging them to bring her back somehow. Encourage anyone else who cares to do the same.

I can do that ;)

daboarder
09-21-2014, 03:21 AM
My, isn't this "moving the story line forward" bussiness fun, so many good things taken away for mostly corporate reasons.....sigh, the more they change the less interested I am finding myself in these end times

edit:

I'm with eldargal on this one, over the last few months GW has basically removed many of the female characters from both the games and the settings, and they've been doing it for some fairly stupid reasons or in some very cliche and BS ways (and its going to be worse, goodbye malys, we hardly knew you)

eldargal
09-21-2014, 03:35 AM
End Times itself is pretty great, and my friend whose copy of Kinslayer I perused said she liked most of it apart from Ulrika. But yes after this kind of pessimistic about Ariel, Morathi, Alarielle etc. Hopefully they will surprise us for the better.

daboarder
09-21-2014, 03:39 AM
I'm still on the fence about end times.....while it could turn out awesome, if it only winds up like harry's earlier rumours where its basically changing the storyline to justify destruction of armies and collections then in my opinion its a stupid idea.

eldargal
09-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Hopefully it won't, Harry was hearing stuff very early on after all. So far the places destroyed have been Tilea and Estalia and such.

daboarder
09-21-2014, 03:51 AM
thats still pretty painful, tilea was the ****!, loved that place

Though I depending on how this ends its not entirely "dead" I guess, and not having a list in and of itself makes its fate less of an issue as any armies built around the background would have a number of possible justifications

eldargal
09-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Yup.

Mr Mystery
09-21-2014, 06:02 AM
I understand the disappointment in the death of Ulrika. Had it happened in a film, I'd suspect some scenes had been left on the cutting room floor. Personally I have no issue with how she died at the hands of Felix, but it just felt a bit tacked on. This could be because it's utterly overshadowed by Snorri's doom just a few pages later, and just how well that was done.

I really, really hope we've not seen the last of her. As has been said, Vampires have natural regenerative powers and to boost that, Ulrika had been feasting on Troll blood (the book takes some pains to point out just how ridiculously regenerative Trolls are!). That'd be pretty cool in the second book.

Wonder if there'll be early bird copies available at Warhammerfest?

flipchuck
09-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Hopefully it won't, Harry was hearing stuff very early on after all. So far the places destroyed have been Tilea and Estalia and such.

Which are for the most part, are places that have armies that not many people play with anymore. Also GW no longer supports the models nor did the have an updated army book for a very long time. Gives GW a better reason to not support those armies even more. Its also a great why to put some shock and awe into the game without causing too many problems in sales or the game play itself. How many have of you guys seen dogs of War armies being leaglly and offically played in a long time? They might as well destroy the Moot as well since there isn't much halfing models in GW anymore.

Ans then GW could, for the peoplke who do still use those armies, make an updated PDF file of the army books and redo it as "aftermath" of the destruction of their home. Go with an "army without a home" style of playing list or make them allies for other armies.

eldargal
09-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Yes, that was my point.

Mr Mystery
09-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Kinslayer is quite specific that Altdorf has refugees from everywhere - Bretonnia, Estalia, Tilea, Kislev. Communities, soldiers, nobles, the lot!

flipchuck
09-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Kinslayer is quite specific that Altdorf has refugees from everywhere - Bretonnia, Estalia, Tilea, Kislev. Communities, soldiers, nobles, the lot!

Ok, now I got to buy the book. Lol

White Tiger88
09-23-2014, 07:44 AM
I understand the disappointment in the death of Ulrika. Had it happened in a film, I'd suspect some scenes had been left on the cutting room floor. Personally I have no issue with how she died at the hands of Felix, but it just felt a bit tacked on. This could be because it's utterly overshadowed by Snorri's doom just a few pages later, and just how well that was done.

I really, really hope we've not seen the last of her. As has been said, Vampires have natural regenerative powers and to boost that, Ulrika had been feasting on Troll blood (the book takes some pains to point out just how ridiculously regenerative Trolls are!). That'd be pretty cool in the second book.

Wonder if there'll be early bird copies available at Warhammerfest?

Ulrika: REGENERATIONNNNN FTW *Smashes felix & friends heads in*

Mr Mystery
09-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Ulrika: REGENERATIONNNNN FTW *Smashes felix & friends heads in*

You know what would be really, really, really cool?

Gotrek defeats and smashes up The Dark Master, and a regenerated Ulrika, knowing Felix will never accept her gift whilst Gotrek is about, brings Gotrek his doom, then forcibly turns Felix.

That would be quite an end! (and the book does say 'Gotrek and Felix Concludes in Slayer'

eldargal
09-24-2014, 02:55 AM
I still think we will be lucky to see Ulrika back at all. Write those letters! As much as I would like there to be some point to the disgusting way she was killed I don't have enough faith in BL to believe it.

Deadlift
09-24-2014, 03:24 AM
I'm not sure anything but old age can bring Gotrek his doom. He's killed just about everything from Vampires to Dragons. I'm all for Ulrika making a comeback but for her to off Gotrek just wouldn't be right. He's fought and killed far more powerful beings than her. It would be an anti climax to his previous feats. If anyone's read all of the books (I have) it's pretty hard imagining anything killing him.

eldargal
09-24-2014, 03:33 AM
Agreed, i don't think any more of the group should die at the hand of any others. But especially not women at the hands of ex-lovers.><

Mr Mystery
09-24-2014, 04:18 AM
Something is going to job Gotrek - though the revelation about his Shame, and it being Snorri's fault? Who knows how that impacts Gotrek's oath? Probably won't like.

And think back to Elfslayer - that Slaaneshi Daemon promised Gotrek would meet his doom at one more powerful than he.

Deadlift
09-24-2014, 06:05 AM
I can't see his doom anytime soon, Gotrek is too iconic. I hope he has an integral part of these "end times" and gets a new model in the process.

George Labour
09-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Probably a bad place to ask, but whatever happened to Felix's wife he was going to spend his life with in Zombieslayer? I vaguely recall her surviving that book but haven't picked up a Gotrek novel since then. Just to many other books to read, and models to paint. XD

Mr Mystery
09-26-2014, 05:31 AM
She is there, sort of.

She hasn't recovered at all from Kemmler's attack.

George Labour
09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh? That's a pity because I actually liked her more than Ulrika. Not only was she an interesting link between the original short stories but she was basically just a normal peasant lass who spent her time dual wielding hatchets for great justice. Whereas Ulrika was...Xenatastic, and more obviously put there for Felix to pine over after getting her killed.

eldargal
09-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Not in her own novels she wasn't, she was fantastic in her own novels. But she was certainly reduced to a plot device to produce manpain in Kinslayer.

daboarder
09-27-2014, 03:59 AM
Not in her own novels she wasn't, she was fantastic in her own novels. But she was certainly reduced to a plot device to produce manpain in Kinslayer.

I never did get around to reading the third one of those....Im not sure if it ever showed up at my GW

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2014, 04:18 AM
I want to see a picture of Gotrek Gurning-son.

George Labour
09-27-2014, 08:53 AM

To be fair everything in the Gotrek & Felix novels seems to exist for one of three reasons.

1)For Gotrek to try and murder

2)TO get murdered by the things Gotrek really needs to murder so that we know its important

3)To cause Felix emotional distress.

eldargal
09-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Yeah, the problem was that they gave Ulrika her own series, which was excellent and in doing so made her the most well developed female character GW have with more words written about her than any other...and then threw her back into a G+F novel and killed her off to make Felix sad. ****ing disgraceful.

Deadlift
09-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Yeah, the problem was that they gave Ulrika her own series, which was excellent and in doing so made her the most well developed female character GW have with more words written about her than any other...and then threw her back into a G+F novel and killed her off to make Felix sad. ****ing disgraceful.

Let it go EG. I'm almost positive that's not the end of Ulrika. ;)

George Labour
09-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Maybe Thanquol will resurrect her, and we'll get roborussianvampirewarriormaiden?

Actually...that sounds rather plausible as it'd make Felix have an utter Shinji fit.

eldargal
09-28-2014, 12:17 AM
More likely the troll blood she scoffed will help her regenerate, but still not convinced it will happen.

Mr Mystery
09-28-2014, 03:43 AM
There's also a lot of magic floating about Praag...

And as we know, a Vampire can ressurect with sufficient background magic.

Anthrax ion pusscabe
09-30-2014, 04:07 AM
As someone who really focuses on the lore related to vampires, liches, vampire spawn and all things undead I can confirm that Ulrika can recover from full decapitation even without troll blood, in fact as long as very specific rituals aren't invocted she can survive complete dismemberment of all limbs without requiring any outward assistance, and I do understand eldargals anger over ulkricas death she was really the only female character in any warhammer fantasy book I've read to not ultimately fail, I feel much the same way about snorri but with a more cold deadness instead of anger, he was the only psychologically disabled character to be portrayed in a good light (even though the only character to display the personality ticks and lack of emotional understanding I have because of ASD was nagash and it can't even be confirmed that he had it, let alone him being portrayed as a genocidal power hungry maniac) it annoys me that all the people in the warhammer world with psychological problems seems to be either a zealot, cultist/mutant or otherwise not a good guy like the lack of strong female characters annoys you, though in the whole end times the only woman that matters (and because of her training can single handedly stop nagash and chaos) hasn't been mentioned in any source of lore since giantslayer

Mr Mystery
09-30-2014, 05:18 AM
Hello and welcome Mr/Ms/Miss/Mr/Dr/Rev/Prof Pusscabe :)

Anthrax ion pusscabe
09-30-2014, 06:31 AM
I finally caved and made a bols account because of the interesting stuff in the end times threads, instead of just lurking

Anthrax ion pusscabe
09-30-2014, 06:33 AM
I caved and made a bell of lost souls account because of all the discussion on the end times
I've been lurking a fair while with warhammer fantasy threads

Mr Mystery
09-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Please remain where you are.

Wolfshade will be along to nail your feet to the floor presently.

You're ours now!

eldargal
09-30-2014, 07:19 AM
I think it's fairly clear Ulrika could come back, the issue is whether they will do it or not. I'm not convinced there is some overarching plan, I think she was just bumped off to make Felix look tragic. Fingers crossed I'm wrong though.

Mr Mystery
09-30-2014, 07:26 AM
I dunno that it was played to make Felix look tragic - I don't recall there being that much about 'poor Felix', mostly because they dealt with Snorri straight after - could be it's just overshadowed in my mind because of that?

Anthrax ion pusscabe
09-30-2014, 07:42 AM
I don't think ulrikas death would of been to cause Felix pain, over wise why would Felix be stop grieving in shamanslayer and finally accept that he can't be with Ulrika if he is going to fall in love with her again, the emotion I was picking up on Felix feeling when around Ulrika would more be terror then love

Anthrax ion pusscabe
09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
I just read the scene of ulrikas death for myself and she was very, very close to being absolutely controlled by the beast within, if she had been able to get to vlad really quickly, like two to three weeks quickly she may have been returned to normal, but she was already starting to turn into a varghulf, her human teeth had started to sharpen into fangs and her hands had started to grow proper talons, she would not of lasted more then a month or two months at most without turning into a varghulf. And I think max may have been going to put down Ulrika himself going by his full statement that continued after the "you didn't have to do that Felix" with "she was still a child with those powers. She could not of harmed me" which leaves two possibilities either max had been doing a aweful lot of research into forbidden necromantic lore and knew the complex spell that can re contain the beast within a vampire, or he was going to use the invocation that ends a vampire/liche permanently by un binding their soul from their body

Anthrax ion pusscabe
09-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Really the problem is vlad sending her (or any vampire for that matter) into praag instead of a human or a liche, I doubt even abhorash (first of the blood dragon vampires and well known for self control/discipline) could of contained the beast in ulrika's situation and it is a real feat of willpower that she lasted as long as she did, aparantly the local lahmian vampires had given in to the beast almost immediately once chaos enveloped praag and probably the majority of vampires would have too, perhaps only the master vampires could of lasted longer, still seems a bit unnecessary and most likely none permanent, but no vampire could of remained themself in that situation

Anthrax ion pusscabe
09-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I just realised its a bit of a plot hole that Felix could even cut off her head, she was wearing her reinforced vampire designed armour that had a inch of steel covering her whole neck, a mere human like Felix couldn't of cut through that in a single stroke with a longsword, so in a real life version he would of tried to cut off her head, failed horribly barely dinting her armour, she would of turned around, ripped his throat out and then turned on max again

eldargal
10-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Really the problem is vlad sending her (or any vampire for that matter) into praag instead of a human or a liche, I doubt even abhorash (first of the blood dragon vampires and well known for self control/discipline) could of contained the beast in ulrika's situation and it is a real feat of willpower that she lasted as long as she did, aparantly the local lahmian vampires had given in to the beast almost immediately once chaos enveloped praag and probably the majority of vampires would have too, perhaps only the master vampires could of lasted longer, still seems a bit unnecessary and most likely none permanent, but no vampire could of remained themself in that situation

The problem was the choice to put her in that situation and then have Felix put her down.

Anthrax ion pusscabe
10-01-2014, 03:45 AM
I don't feel any real connection to any of the characters in the book they are all neurotupicalls and thus I wouldn't grieve any of their deaths that heavily, though I imagine if the only autistic character to get a dedicated book series was killed in another series in such a illogical way I'd probably be upset to, but never been a autistic character in any novel I've read, so I'm used to reading about characters I don't have much in common with

Xathrodox86
10-24-2014, 02:48 AM
How much does this book references the old Slayer novels by Bill King and N. Long? I've been out of the loop for some time now, since my last G&F book was Shamanslayer, and it was rather weak IMO. Pedo-Felix was creepy. I've heard that they're gearing Gotrek up for becoming the reincarnation of Grimnir. It makes sense with Valten returning, Tyrion probably becoming the Avatar of Khaine and Glotkin as an embodiment of Nurgle. I still need to grab the Road of skulls. Heard that it was great.

Captain Melons
10-26-2014, 10:29 AM
How much does this book references the old Slayer novels by Bill King and N. Long? I've been out of the loop for some time now, since my last G&F book was Shamanslayer, and it was rather weak IMO. Pedo-Felix was creepy. I've heard that they're gearing Gotrek up for becoming the reincarnation of Grimnir. It makes sense with Valten returning, Tyrion probably becoming the Avatar of Khaine and Glotkin as an embodiment of Nurgle. I still need to grab the Road of skulls. Heard that it was great.

I reading Road of Skulls now and it is quite good. But there is an inconsistency with the time frame because if I am not mistaken it takes place after Zombieslayer and in the end of that book, Snorri was sent to Karak Kadrin to Grminir's altar. But he is not even mentioned in Road of Skulls it seems. Unless it takes place a long time after Zombieslayer. Also I agree with theory of Gotrek becoming reincarnation of Grimnir, hope they make new model of him. And to the earlier posts about Ulrika, I have a feeling we will see her again. But at least Snorri is finally at rest, drinking vodka and beer the Ancestors' halls.

Mr Mystery
10-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Road of Skulls is an odd one. Book itself is ok, but yeah, the timeline is wonky, and it really doesn't clear up when it was set.

I think it's from between Giantslayer and Orcslayer - part of the general wanderings.

Xathrodox86
10-27-2014, 03:24 AM
I recall that GW announced that after Zombieslayer readers could "choose" when the next books will take place. It was prob ably due to the fact that Nathan Long's books took place after the SoC, which was retconned. Now The Kinslayer is said explicitly to take place during the End Times. Confused yet? I know I am.