PDA

View Full Version : I won a Baneblade!

Camael
09-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Hi all!
I won a Baneblade in a tournament a couple months back (because Vulkan soloed a wraithknight, like a boss) but haven't been able to put it together. So my question is which of these wondrously large tanks do I build? I am currently leaning toward the Shadowsword with its D Cannon of flaming death (I play Salamanders, what do you want), but I am not entirely sure. For those of you who don't know, I can also build a regular old Baneblade, a Stormlord, a Hellhammer, a Banesword, a Stormsword, a Banehammer, or a Doomhammer.
Any input?

GrauGeist
09-15-2014, 12:58 PM
What did you actually win? It's either a 2-in-1 Baneblade/Hellhammer, or a 6-in-1 Stormrlord/Shadowsword/... kit.

Personally, I think any of the 4 named above are good choices.

Defenestratus
09-15-2014, 01:24 PM
I personally dig the one with the big gatling guns on top.

Camael
09-15-2014, 01:34 PM
It appears to be the 6-in-1. I like the idea of a bajillion guardsmen pouring out of the Stormlord...

Wolfshade
09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Magnets build them all!

Camael
09-15-2014, 02:11 PM
It seemed like that would require all the magnets. Hence my question.

Denzark
09-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Bear in mind that the drive by shoot out of your super heavy transport has received a bit of a setback in that I understand 7th ed allows you to flame open topped - which those variants are - and hit the models transported.

40kGamer
09-15-2014, 02:27 PM
It seemed like that would require all the magnets. Hence my question.

Actual magnet count for a Baneblade/Hellhamer with all weapons interchangeable and all side panels movable came in at 88... So bad but not horrible... that also included a few to make the aerials removable too.

vharing
09-15-2014, 05:35 PM
My personal favorites are the Stormlord with that vulcan megabolter or the hell hammer. Both are pretty beastly. I had an game against a stormlord with my Blood Angels and was losing about a squad a turn to it.

GrauGeist
09-15-2014, 06:08 PM
It appears to be the 6-in-1. I like the idea of a bajillion guardsmen pouring out of the Stormlord...

If you have Guard, then that's your answer. Compared to the AV12/10 Chimera, a AV14/13 StormLord is *GREAT* ride, arguably your best choice: Tons of Transport, good guns, lots of shots.

Joyous_Oblivion
09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I know you are asking because you don't have the magnets, but honestly for the cost of ~$10 it's really really worth your while to go get the magnets. Otherwise it's a bit of a waste of a $100+ kit.

Just my 0.02¢ of course.

Wildcard
09-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Imo it depends on the role you are planning of using it and with what army:

I personally have stormlord and baneblade (looking for opportunity to get shadowsword at some point)
- Pros of the stormlord is definately the it
a) has a large transport capacity (30 if i remember correctly)
b) can carry multiple different squads (dunno about the latest rules, but at some point this was the case atleast)
c) It can carry bulky and very bulky units
d) Open topped, thus everyone can fire out of it and it is an assault vehicle

That said, it can be loaded with terminators, ogryns, assault marines / deathcompany / your equivalent assault troops, Plasma vets or special weaponists (for 375 points you can have 15 plasma guns firing out a turn that can fire overwatch if the transport is assaulted :) )..

faolan
09-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Actual magnet count for a Baneblade/Hellhamer with all weapons interchangeable and all side panels movable came in at 88... So bad but not horrible... that also included a few to make the aerials removable too.

To be honest, 88 magnets, while it seems like a lot, is less than $10, so I'd consider it money well spent, myself.

CoffeeGrunt
09-16-2014, 03:05 AM
I've found the Shadowsword really lacking since the nerf to D weapons personally.

40kGamer
09-16-2014, 06:59 AM
To be honest, 88 magnets, while it seems like a lot, is less than $10, so I'd consider it money well spent, myself.

Agreed! I keep a few thousand magnets about for whatever money and time saving opportunities come up. On top of making the most out of a $100 kit you also save yourself the time and effort of assembling and painting multiple models too. :D

Camael
09-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Well this has all been very helpful. While I don't have guard, it is on the "To Start" list and I figure this could be a good centerpiece. Is there a guide somewhere for magnetizing this monstrosity?

40kGamer
09-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Well this has all been very helpful. While I don't have guard, it is on the "To Start" list and I figure this could be a good centerpiece. Is there a guide somewhere for magnetizing this monstrosity?

At a glance this one looks pretty good. There are also several videos and other articles to reference too. Just a warning though... once you start magnetizing things you never go back. :D

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/02/magnetise-that-shadowsword.html

Camael
09-16-2014, 11:04 AM
At a glance this one looks pretty good. There are also several videos and other articles to reference too. Just a warning though... once you start magnetizing things you never go back. :D

All my Predators, Stormtalons, and Dreadnoughts are magnetized. I started this hobby as a broke grad student so I got all over that, I just wasn't sure how practical it was to magnetize such a huge model.

40kGamer
09-16-2014, 11:13 AM
All my Predators, Stormtalons, and Dreadnoughts are magnetized. I started this hobby as a broke grad student so I got all over that, I just wasn't sure how practical it was to magnetize such a huge model.

It takes a bit more effort than the smaller tanks but it is well worth it for me. Of course I change my mind every few minutes so....

Lord Krungharr
09-18-2014, 09:37 PM
With regards to magnetizing, DO IT. Go to K and J Magnetics, they have cheap neodymium ones, the strongest, of all sizes and thicknesses and round or squares. You'll thank yourself later.

But the Stormlord is pretty amazing, as if it stands still it can fire the MegaBolter TWICE, and at different units. Plus dudes inside can fire out the top, and/or assault due to open-topped! That would be great for Space Marines now that they can ride inside, like Centurions for example. But a giant Guardblob would be fun too, with Priests and Psykers and Yarrick in there for extra punch.

The Hellhammer ignores cover with that huge blast, I think Str10/AP1. Only 36" or something not too long range, but worth the ignoring of cover for sure.

D weapons are kinda meh now, unless it's got Stomp too, which the big tanks don't.

Baneblade is nice though, long range, but to me, sitting back and shooting is boring. Move forward, ram stuff, blast stuff, assault stuff. Stormlord or Hellhammer.