PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about fantasy!

Vangrail
09-05-2014, 01:28 AM
With recent rumors of fantasy I decided to pick up my old army books and remind myself of my factions and rules.
1. Can you use a halberd and a shield at the same time?
2. If a lord or hero has a ward save granted by a item does it count for the mount?
3. Why do people like ungors? Lol i love my beastmen bc of my minotaurs. My gors only ever do very ok at best. Any tips?

Mr Mystery
09-05-2014, 01:50 AM
1. Against shooting, yes you get your shield. In combat, no as your Halberd requires both hands (also worth noting that now if you have a non-standard weapon, you *must* use it. So Halberdiers can't switch to hand weapon and shield to get an improved save when it suits them)

2. For your Horsey, yes. Anything else? No. However there may be some Magic Items out there which specifically state they do, but I can't think of any right now.

3. Cheap and cheerful! Nothing wrong with a basic Ungor stats wise.

Archon Charybdis
09-05-2014, 07:51 AM
2.) It's worth mentioning that unless riding a monster, a mount can never be targeted separately. They're effectively one model and the mounts stats are only used in the case of movement and making melee attacks.

Wildeybeast
09-05-2014, 09:26 AM
1) You can also use the shield save against magic attacks as well as shooting.
2) If whatever they are riding makes them cavalry of monstrous cavalry, then yes as they are one model and cannot be targeted separately, as Charybdis mentioned. Anything else such as monsters, chariots, screaming bells etc, then no, unless stated otherwise.

Mr Mystery
09-05-2014, 09:29 AM
1) You can also use the shield save against ranged magic attacks as well as shooting.
2) If whatever they are riding makes them cavalry of monstrous cavalry, then yes as they are one model and cannot be targeted separately, as Charybdis mentioned. Anything else such as monsters, chariots, screaming bells etc, then no, unless stated otherwise.

Extra clarity FTFY.

Vangrail
09-05-2014, 11:34 AM
So a guy on a carnasaur does not transfer his ward save?

Mr Mystery
09-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Quite so.

Vangrail
09-05-2014, 11:55 AM
That really saddens me.. I feel like the carnasaur is just gonna get shot by cannons. Not sure if i want to buy one now :/

Wildeybeast
09-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Yep. Though every monster will get shot by cannons. Though monsters won't win you the game in 8th. They are cool and great for supporting your infantry, but it is ultimately big blocks of infantry and monstrous infantry that will win it for you.

Reldane
09-05-2014, 09:03 PM
I have always played that a shield can't be used with a two handed weapon, but unfortunately when my opponent said otherwise I couldn't actually find any rule stating that to be the case, or even any rules for requires two hands. so if anyone can give a page ref. I'd be grateful.

Wildeybeast
09-06-2014, 04:31 AM
The weapons section such starts on p88 and has rules for all the generic weapons in the game, along with any special rules they have. Weapons such as halberds and great weapons have the 'requires two hands' special rule, which is found on p75 (in the special rules section). This clearly explains exactly how and when models with such weapons and shields can and cannot use their shield. Point your opponent to this next time, s/he is most definitely wrong.

Mr Mystery
09-06-2014, 05:38 AM
Yep. Though every monster will get shot by cannons. Though monsters won't win you the game in 8th. They are cool and great for supporting your infantry, but it is ultimately big blocks of infantry and monstrous infantry that will win it for you.

Yup. Monsters and their riders are good for taking on and massacring flankers, skirmishers and artillery. Not to mention if your opponent is a bit soft in the head, lone characters running around out of units.

Outside of that, use them to deliver a serious hammer blow to an enemy unit as part of a combined charge.

Reldane
09-06-2014, 06:00 AM
The weapons section such starts on p88 and has rules for all the generic weapons in the game, along with any special rules they have. Weapons such as halberds and great weapons have the 'requires two hands' special rule, which is found on p75 (in the special rules section). This clearly explains exactly how and when models with such weapons and shields can and cannot use their shield. Point your opponent to this next time, s/he is most definitely wrong.

thank you for your swift response. I would never have thought to look in the universal special rules section