PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Returns?!

Bigred
09-04-2014, 11:24 AM
There are more rumors flying from normally accurate sources than I've seen in months.

Something is certainly at the center of all this smoke.

Here is the very accurate Arthurius11 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399794-Possible-Space-Hulk-in-September) from Warseer (almost 100% accurate since WFB Dark Elves were released)

The only thing I have heard about at this moment for this month is space hulk which is not fantasy related anyway.

That's all we have, so it could be anything from a re-release, to something more elaborate... It also puts the "Alien Invasion" tagline from White Dwarf into a new light.

via Steve the Warboss 9-5-2014

Between Endtimes and the Dark Eldar, there will be a Space Hulk Board Game re-release.

via MiyamotoMushashi (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399794-Possible-Space-Hulk-in-September&p=7263822&viewfull=1#post7263822) 9-4-2014

I heard a while back (and have mentioned a few times - though I wasn't certain until Arthurius said it) that they would be re-releasing exactly the same box this year. So that's what to expect AFAIK.

via energongoodie 4-8-2014

So some people have their white dwarf.

It is a re-release but with extras.

$125USD or €100/£75
English only this time around. No translations
Limited Re-release from the 2009 edition but with
-4 new scenarios
-The box contains new counters (boarding torpedoes, breach counters, damaged control room and turbo lift tiles)Box

Contents
35 Easy fit models
22 Genestealers, 1 Broodlord and 12 Space Marine Terminators.
189 board sections and gaming counters.
1 x Rulebook and 1 x Mission book containing 16 scenarios including 4 new ones.

pics via Grot Orderly (http://grotorderly.blogspot.com/2014/09/white-dwarf-space-hulk.html) 9-9-2014

Defenestratus
09-04-2014, 11:43 AM
FFS Space hulk doesn't NEED a new release. They've already milked that cow dry.

YorkNecromancer
09-04-2014, 12:38 PM
THE SPACE HULK COW CAN NEVER BE MILKED DRY! IT PRODUCES MILK FOREVER AND ALWAYS!

Although might the rumour not refer to the tablet game versions? What with GW now pushing licensed products on their site?

Clockwork
09-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Maybe this time they'll finally do a different chapter, like giving us a Deathwing Space Hulk or Space Wolf Space Hulk game.

40kGamer
09-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Maybe this time they'll finally do a different chapter, like giving us a Deathwing Space Hulk or Space Wolf Space Hulk game.

I would love to see the Deathwing return to Space Hulk.

- - - Updated - - -

THE SPACE HULK COW CAN NEVER BE MILKED DRY! IT PRODUCES MILK FOREVER AND ALWAYS!

I have to agree that the Space Hulk Cow still has more milk to give!

Mr Mystery
09-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Although might the rumour not refer to the tablet game versions? What with GW now pushing licensed products on their site?

Yeah.

Wot he said, innit.

Bold or Stupid
09-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Can I just say I love it to be Advanced Space Crusade?

I'd grab a Space Hulk if it was rereleased. I missed it last time.

Bigred
09-05-2014, 10:22 AM
via Steve the Warboss 9-5-2014

Between Endtimes and the Dark Eldar, there will be a Space Hulk Board Game re-release.

via MiyamotoMushashi (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399794-Possible-Space-Hulk-in-September&p=7263822&viewfull=1#post7263822) 9-4-2014

I heard a while back (and have mentioned a few times - though I wasn't certain until Arthurius said it) that they would be re-releasing exactly the same box this year. So that's what to expect AFAIK.

Mauler
09-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Could be a Deathwing/Genestealer type expansion?

Seems a bit iffy given SH's limited release, but...

Defenestratus
09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
So it just the space hulk box that they did a few years ago?

This Dave
09-05-2014, 12:31 PM
When I saw this I was hoping for more Space Hulk animations from the Flash Gitz guys.

Lord Ezekial
09-05-2014, 12:35 PM
when i saw this i was hoping for more space hulk animations from the flash gitz guys.

yes

Eulermaths
09-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Hope this comes out again. Was a little financially embarrassed last time it came out and I know a few other people feel the same. The high cost of the Blood angels from the set on ebay also indicate some demand for the figures too. Rumours of Blood angels around the corner might make a nice tie in also. That said would love to see Deathwing so I can add to my 1st Co. army.

Cap'nSmurfs
09-06-2014, 03:54 AM
I got the first re-release, it's a really good box. Only ever got around to painting the Terminators, though.

Wildeybeast
09-06-2014, 04:17 AM
Here's a question. GW now does weekly releases. If Space Hulk is simply being rereleased then what's coming for the rest of September? Either it's being released ina differnt format with lots of other extras or there is something coming that no one knows anything about. Or it's not happening at all of course.

eldargal
09-06-2014, 05:02 AM
Here's a question. GW now does weekly releases. If Space Hulk is simply being rereleased then what's coming for the rest of September? Either it's being released ina differnt format with lots of other extras or there is something coming that no one knows anything about. Or it's not happening at all of course.

Dark Eldar are strongly rumoured.

daboarder
09-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Dont buy it.

But then I dont care I nabbed 2 of the first one (one for bits one for gaming)

spagunk
09-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Dont buy it.
)

Everyone buy it so thay will be cheaper on ebay! :3

The Sovereign
09-06-2014, 04:11 PM
If Mephiston gets an epic new LoW model for the BA release, I'll have a seriously hard time resisting the urge to start a Space Vampires army. These rumors about a re-release of BA termies don't help. :(

Brakkart
09-06-2014, 04:40 PM
When I saw this I was hoping for more Space Hulk animations from the Flash Gitz guys.

I would love to see more of those. So funny.

Hmm as for the box itself, while I do love those BA Termies I'm not sure I can fit it into my budget for the month as already planned to get the Nagash book and a F.A.T Mat and I'm not inclined to place it above either of those on the buy queue. Will have to see what it is going to cost, if the price point is the same as last time, or only about £5 more then I might be able to squeeze it in.

daboarder
09-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Everyone buy it so thay will be cheaper on ebay! :3

As in I dont buy the rumour. Not dont buy the game

JMichael
09-06-2014, 11:12 PM
I will totally buy it if it gets released even if it is the same kit. I sorely regret not pickup up a copy when I had the chance.

MarneusCalgar
09-08-2014, 01:21 AM
So today, in GW´s What´s new today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp91dSwHmQQ

Seems the true return of Space Hulk!

More info soon!

Pssyche
09-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Beaten to it.

Wolfshade
09-08-2014, 02:11 AM
Damn it, I am going to have to wait 'till I get home before I can see this, damn you work youtube filter, what do you expect me to do all day work?!

MajorWesJanson
09-08-2014, 02:19 AM
Yay, Space Hulk is coming back! I have 2 copies of the 2009 one, so if this is a rerelease of that one, then it means a precious breather week for my wallet.

energongoodie
09-08-2014, 02:24 AM
I'm hoping expansion. Maybe game and expansion?

Mr Mystery
09-08-2014, 02:27 AM
To any GW store managers who might read this.

This time around, please please please don't let scalping swines buy lots and lots of copies, just to make a quick profit on the ebay. It's a pain the bahooky, and they deserve Nurgle to leave a little something in all their pints for evermore. And their cornflakes. And Slaanesh should get to interfere with their Bacon sandwiches.....

Xaric
09-08-2014, 03:27 AM
quick someone get hold of the flashgitz animators they need to make a 3ed space hulk :D

dwez
09-08-2014, 05:28 AM
I was falling off the hobby wagon right about the time of the previous release. I contemplated getting it or 5th Edition 40k. As it was I stayed sober for a few more months and it was Christmas when I finally ended my 13 years of sobriety with a copy of 40k from my Mother-in-law [if I remember correctly, she loves me really ;) ]. I still regret not picking it up at the time as the Genestealer were awesome. I since managed to get some of the more generic posed ones but I'd love to have the full set including that awesome Broodlord.

energongoodie
09-08-2014, 08:18 AM

$125USD or €100/£75
-4 new scenarios
-The box contains new counters (boarding torpedoes, breach counters, damaged control room and turbo lift tiles)Box

Contents
35 Easy fit models

Now I am a GW fanboy. I have never done a 'I hate GW' rant or anyhting. But.... they said it was gonna be limited edition and I bought it happily. Now it turns out it was the first edition and the next version has more stuff!!!!!
:mad:

I do not like this. If i can buy the extra scenarios and counters fair enough. If not, then I feel cheated some how cause I bought it the first and supposedly ONLY time round. I sure aint buying another version just for some extra counters and scenarios.

GW grumble grumble!

Wolfshade
09-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Exciting

Mr Mystery
09-08-2014, 08:30 AM

$125USD or €100/£75
-4 new scenarios

Contents
35 Easy fit models

Now I am a GW fanboy. I have never done a 'I hate GW' rant or anyhting. But.... they said it was gonna be limited edition and I bought it happily. Now it turns out it was the first edition and the next version has more stuff!!!!!

I do not like this. If i can buy the extra scenarios and counters fair enough. If not, then I feel cheated some how cause I bought it the first and supposedly ONLY time round. I sure aint buying another version just for some extra counters and scenarios.

GW grumble grumble!

Meh. Had to sell my only copy last time when times got tight. Scalpers artificially raised the second hand price and kept it high.

This time, I get it at retail price, with some spangly doodads? I'm happy overall.

Wolfshade
09-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Is it the same one as before?

Patrick Boyle
09-08-2014, 08:36 AM
FFS Space hulk doesn't NEED a new release. They've already milked that cow dry.

Yeah, no. Not all of us were able, or even into 40k, to buy it the last time around, and I'm psyched for the chance to get it for not $300 on eBay.

$125USD or €100/£75
-4 new scenarios

Contents
35 Easy fit models

GW grumble grumble!

Ehh, it was 5 years ago now. I get where you're coming from but at the same time it's not like it's that many extra things.

energongoodie
09-08-2014, 08:52 AM
I just think it's cheeky and I'm a completest so those few little extra bits are gonna annoy the hell out of me.

Don't say it's limited edition if it isn't.

Mr Mystery
09-08-2014, 08:53 AM
I just think it's cheeky and I'm a completest so those few little extra bits are gonna annoy the hell out of me.

Don't say it's limited edition if it isn't.

But it remains Ltd Ed, on account this is one with more stuff.

energongoodie
09-08-2014, 08:59 AM
That only makes me madder
http://ladygeekgirl.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/hulk-angry.jpg?w=300&h=225

Mr Mystery
09-08-2014, 09:05 AM
To be fair, I did forget my smiley on that one.

:p

There, that's marginally better.

energongoodie
09-08-2014, 09:12 AM
To be fair, I did forget my smiley on that one.

:p

There, that's marginally better.

I sensed the smiley :)

Still mad.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/files/2008/05/t0m537.jpg

Deadlift
09-08-2014, 09:20 AM
http://youtu.be/P4tmNhtf8ks

This is good news for me, I regrettably sold mine on eBay for quite a good return a couple years ago. It was unopened etc etc and I made a few quid on it. Tried it again with Dreadful fleet and I still have it all these years later :)
Anyway this gives me the chance to get it again and this time keep it.

New GW products are flying out at the moment. How long can this momentum last ?

Defenestratus
09-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Not sure why people are paying that much for the old set. I bought mine for $100 second-hand with a battlefoam insert for all the minis in like-new condition.

Deadlift
09-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Not sure why people are paying that much for the old set. I bought mine for $100 second-hand with a battlefoam insert for all the minis in like-new condition.

There's one on eBay right now, unopened going for £210. Feel sorry for anyone buying that now.

Mr Mystery
09-08-2014, 10:16 AM
There's one on eBay right now, unopened going for £210. Feel sorry for anyone buying that now.

Ditto. But I feel not at all sorry for the seller. Teach them right for scalping!

Eulermaths
09-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Now I am a GW fanboy. I have never done a 'I hate GW' rant or anyhting. But.... they said it was gonna be limited edition and I bought it happily.

When i raised the same issue about the Limited Edition of "Promethean Sun" being re-released in unlimited numbers I was told by my local Blackshirt "Ahhh but yours has that scaly cover thing, the re release does not"

The New one here has more stuff. I feel your pain

However I do not have a Space Hulk set so the pain is muted like a skinned knee after 12 pints of lager.

Wildeybeast
09-08-2014, 10:46 AM

$125USD or €100/£75
-4 new scenarios

Contents
35 Easy fit models

GW grumble grumble!

Seconded. A straight up RE-release or a version with different marines, then fine. But other people getting a slightly better version of the game I already have makes my blood boil. Not only does it compel me into buying the new one to keep up the nerd arms race, but it will completely devalue my current edition as the market will be flooded with them and no one will want it as they all have the new edition! :mad: Thats it GW, you just made the list.

Arkhan Land
09-08-2014, 01:48 PM

for that much you could but two of these...

spagunk
09-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Welp, hoping I can get the extra bits cheap enough. Maybe I can pick up terminators and the extra bits in one go!

Mr Mystery
09-09-2014, 04:20 AM
So what gives with the lack of pics??

Eulermaths
09-09-2014, 05:26 AM
for that much you could but two of these...

Three Sets of SH from Your FLGS with discount, If they have any supplied that is.

energongoodie
09-09-2014, 08:11 AM
From Grot Orderly http://grotorderly.blogspot.co.uk/

Looks like extra bits could be in white dwarf. If this is the case.....nerd rage diminishing.

http://i.imgur.com/wKBYygp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kZhLjnu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SGJPmJa.jpg

Mr Mystery
09-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Nice!

Should be picking this up!

Erik Setzer
09-09-2014, 08:45 AM
I'll get the WD, but it'd going to feel a bit odd as I recall spending just a dollar more for issues that contained actual card rooms as well as the missions (and a bunch of other articles). Makes me feel old remembering "the good old days," even if they weren't that long ago.

It'd be better for everyone if they just made it a supplement that anyone with either copy of the game could buy, then we all get quality counters and tiles and all, and they get a bit more profit.

energongoodie
09-09-2014, 08:46 AM
I'll get the WD, but it'd going to feel a bit odd as I recall spending just a dollar more for issues that contained actual card rooms as well as the missions (and a bunch of other articles). Makes me feel old remembering "the good old days," even if they weren't that long ago.

It'd be better for everyone if they just made it a supplement that anyone with either copy of the game could buy, then we all get quality counters and tiles and all, and they get a bit more profit.

Testify

Mr Mystery
09-09-2014, 08:47 AM

To be fair, I remember paying £2.50 for 20 ciggies, and around £1.50 for a pint of Lager around 18 years ago :p

Eulermaths
09-09-2014, 09:53 AM
To be fair, I remember paying £2.50 for 20 ciggies, and around £1.50 for a pint of Lager around 18 years ago :p

I see your £1.50 pint and raise you 66p for a Pint of Brains SA 30 years ago. You had to get a penny to go with the two green foldey things to have 3 pints. You have grasped the economics of Inflation as I have Mr.M. Some need to get their pipe and slippers to get a full understanding the young whippersnappers!

The Madman
09-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Very disappointed with this news, lazy as hell rehashing what was meant to be a "limited release". they could have at least done a different set of models just for variety sake but a straight re-print/cast?

Mr Mystery
09-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Very disappointed with this news, lazy as hell rehashing what was meant to be a "limited release". they could have at least done a different set of models just for variety sake but a straight re-print/cast?

Meh. Capitalism. And as it has extras, it remains a new edition.

Happens all the time

Patrick Boyle
09-09-2014, 11:26 AM

That's nice. Like I said earlier, I'm psyched I can actually get a copy with the awesome minis, new, for not $300 on eBay.

Meh. Capitalism. And as it has extras, it remains a new edition.

Happens all the time

It's looking like the new stuff comes out of White Dwarf, rather than being included in the box. So it is the same 3rd Ed. box.

Erik Setzer
09-09-2014, 11:47 AM

To be more fair, those items are getting taxes thrown on them to artificially inflate the prices to punish people for their vices (because politicians are hypocrites and morons).

Also, the prior WD was treated as valuable enough that they sold back issues. These, they just chuck any that don't sell. So if people only have a GW store nearby and want anything in that week's WD, they better go grab it, because GW views the magazines as so cheap to print that they can just throw them in the garbage after one week on the shelf (and trust me, that's a lot of copies being chucked between all their stores). Realizing how cheap it is for them to produce vs. what they charge us, without having as much goodness as in the past... it's a bit depressing. I'd think the lower quality was because of money issues trying to save funds, but that doesn't explain them ramping up the price so much that people skip it and they have to trash so many copies.

Oh well. On the positive side, Space Hulk is back. I know I paid for a "limited" release in the past, but I got it at retail, and the new copy isn't cheaper, so why would I be upset? I should be pissed that they aren't limiting the number of people with a copy of an awesome board game? (I will be pissed if they expect me to pay another $125 just to get a few new extras, though.)

40kGamer
09-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Very happy to see Space Hulk make the rounds again. Having all previous editions I'll nab one for the library and have an excuse to try and round up some new players. IMO this is a great gateway game for 40k. I would also like to see some of the other classic games rereleased but Space Hulk most likely generates the most bang for their bucks.

Kirsten
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
bad timing, I wont be able to afford a copy this time round either. GW just need to delay the release to the end of the year

MarneusCalgar
09-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Two more NEW pics from your favourite Tavern xDDDD

http://latabernadelaurana.blogspot.com.es/2014/09/rumores-imagenes-definitivas-se.html

WD cover and the mag index!

Kirsten
09-09-2014, 03:04 PM
well those terminators are all going to die, they aren't even looking the right way. whoever is controlling them sucks :p

Erik Setzer
09-09-2014, 05:54 PM
So, yeah, looks like they added a little bit of new stuff. Which those of us who have the "limited edition" won't have unless we shell out $125 for an entire new set, a prospect that is excessively stupid. They could release the extra stuff on the side and make money from those of us who won't buy anything with this release, but that would just be an intelligent business decision based around actually respecting your customers and doing what they'd like, and we know current top management isn't interested in any of those things.

Even better, this is another limited edition!!! So if anyone with an existing set buys a new set to get the new stuff, that's a new player who isn't getting their hands on a copy. And the second-hand scalper market is going to go nuts again.

Well, now I'm pissed, so I'm going to go paint or something to get my mind off of GW giving the shaft to people once again...

Wolfshade
09-10-2014, 02:02 AM
£75, hmm,

Path Walker
09-10-2014, 02:56 AM
So, yeah, looks like they added a little bit of new stuff. Which those of us who have the "limited edition" won't have unless we shell out $125 for an entire new set, a prospect that is excessively stupid. They could release the extra stuff on the side and make money from those of us who won't buy anything with this release, but that would just be an intelligent business decision based around actually respecting your customers and doing what they'd like, and we know current top management isn't interested in any of those things.

Even better, this is another limited edition!!! So if anyone with an existing set buys a new set to get the new stuff, that's a new player who isn't getting their hands on a copy. And the second-hand scalper market is going to go nuts again.

Well, now I'm pissed, so I'm going to go paint or something to get my mind off of GW giving the shaft to people once again...

It wasn't limited edition, it was a limited release.

So, you're upset that by releasing this game again, more people will buy it and sell it on ebay? Which will drive down the price on ebay, and more people will have access to the brilliant board game, the secondary market for Space Hulk is already nuts, £200+ for a full unopened copy is the norm, allowing fans to get this game again is respecting the customer, people wanted it and they've delivered it.

The last release of Space Hulk was 5 years ago! GW aren't shafting anyone.

Mr Mystery
09-10-2014, 03:35 AM
With it coming out again, second hand market will collapse - nobody will want to pay retail, even if it is sealed on Ebay etc.

Plus, it's likely to come out again - this erodes the high resale value, and disinterests the pondscum scalpers, as they won't make quite such big bucks out of being gits.

Path Walker
09-10-2014, 03:45 AM
But yeah, despite all that, its GWs fault, they're to blame for everything.

Erik Setzer
09-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Wow, guys, you are so far up the "GW does everything perfect" path (guess that's the one you're walking, eh?) that you assume anyone pointing out flaws is totally anti-GW. I doubt I can have a logical discussion with you, but I'm an optimist, so let's try.

A "limited release" is still a "limited edition." You're playing semantics trying to claim there's a difference. Even more so now that this new release has differences and is, itself, limited, making both limited edition releases of Space Hulk.

I do want more people to have access to the game, which is why I noted that it's a problem if people who have the game already would want to buy the new version to get the new stuff. GW's bean counters won't care because they get the $125 either way, but it means one fewer person out there with the game. So that move actually makes it harder to get more people to have the game.

Further, this new release is, again, a limited edition (note the words "While Stocks Last"). It will likely be snatched up quick by scalpers. While you'd think that the release would hurt the secondary market, that's not the reality. Prices might dip for a brief time, but people will be selling both editions for ridiculous amounts.

It *is* GW's fault that they aren't releasing a side set with the new additions for people who already have the game (they could charge $25, make a ridiculous profit, and it'd still come off as fair to people who have the old edition, because their total price - even if inflation would technically mean it counts a small bit higher - would be the same, $125). It *is* GW's fault that, once again, they're doing a limited version of a popular release, which prevents them from having long-term profits from it and causes the issues with the second-hand market.

They're doing this release to make a quick burst of money to help with their current financial issues, rather than a long-term release that'd be less money up-front but much more over time. Not only is it a bad deal for the gamers, it's a bad deal for the long-term viability of the company, and is another reminder that current management isn't worried about the company making money in the long run, just making money as quick as possible.

I'm glad for all the gamers who'll be able to get Space Hulk again - especially those who are lucky enough to snag it before the second-hand market explodes again (heck, maybe I'll get one just to make a good $100-$200 off of it in a few months, because you guys are totally okay with that kind of stuff). But I'm annoyed it's another move that's not friendly to the gamers and is being done just to shove up a company's extreme short-term revenues.

Mr Mystery
09-10-2014, 05:17 AM
A limited edition means that it is a one off, likely never to be repeated.

A limited release means it's only around for so long - like Cadbury Creme Eggs. They're only made during a certain time of year.

So they are two quite different things.

eldargal
09-10-2014, 05:21 AM
Plenty of limited edition things which have never been re-released too, so it isn't like GW do it regularly to screw people over. It is a limited release and that is how they are treating it, and in this case the extras look like they are in a WD you can buy so I don't see what the problem is.

Deadlift
09-10-2014, 05:26 AM
I don't think GW ever referred to Space Hulk as a limited release, just whilst stocks last. I was digging though my WD issues, sorting out which ones to throw away and ones to keep and came across the 2009 issue with this release in it. I will have a look.

Make no mistake though, I don't think this release is anything but a short term attempt to get some money in after a poor financial year. I don't blame them it's obviously a popular product. I would like to have seen a completely new edition though with different models and not a "whilst stocks last" release.

Even better let's have a Blood bowl box set.

Me I've just bought "super dungeon explore" so I was debating if I should buy this too, likely I will.

Path Walker
09-10-2014, 05:26 AM
Its not a GW is perfect path, its being rational enough to not let personal feelings make me into a ranting nerd, looking at things objectively.

So, ok, they sold 50,000 copies of Space Hulk 5 years ago internationally (lets just use that as an example), of those sets, how many people would want the extra boarding tube tiles and 4 missions if they had to pay $25? How many are even still in the hobby? How many sets survived the last 5 years in tact?

Can you see the problem?

How many sets How many sets of the extra sheet of tiles should they make then? and how do they distribute them? How do they make a profit from of shipping the one or two sets to different places around the world for the few people that want them when they're only charging $25, how do they even break even on that?

GW haven't got financial issues, they're in profit, they're making money, this is about making more money, yes, they're a business, thats what businesses do.

Its a move to allow more gamers to buy one of the greatest board games ever made (just ask Robert Florence who rated it as his 2nd best board game ever), thats a move friendly to gamers.

Eulermaths
09-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Its not a GW is perfect path, its being rational enough to not let personal feelings make me into a ranting nerd, looking at things objectively.

So, ok, they sold 50,000 copies of Space Hulk 5 years ago internationally (lets just use that as an example), of those sets, how many people would want the extra boarding tube tiles and 4 missions if they had to pay $25? How many are even still in the hobby? How many sets survived the last 5 years in tact?

Can you see the problem?

How many sets How many sets of the extra sheet of tiles should they make then? and how do they distribute them? How do they make a profit from of shipping the one or two sets to different places around the world for the few people that want them when they're only charging $25, how do they even break even on that?

GW haven't got financial issues, they're in profit, they're making money, this is about making more money, yes, they're a business, thats what businesses do.

Its a move to allow more gamers to buy one of the greatest board games ever made (just ask Robert Florence who rated it as his 2nd best board game ever), thats a move friendly to gamers.

What he said^^. GW have said they want to concentrate on Core business, which they see as not "specialist games" like dreadfleet, Bloodbowl, SH. Its their business decision, A lot of companies have got into trouble by assigning assets to things that are not their core business.

We can moan about strategy and GW "poor" financials but If my company made £10 million last year I would be a little bit happy.

spagunk
09-10-2014, 07:56 AM
I do own an intact 2009 Space Hulk that I bought direct from GW when it was released. I do not have a problem with them re-releasing SH.

I am a bit annoyed about the new set having more stuff but it doesn't bother me too much. Hopefully I can buy the extra stuff off ebay.

Boardgames were made to be played; they aren't an investment. If you haven't sold your "investment" already, just wait a few years or part yours out. There are plenty of other things in this world to get mad about.

Wolfshade
09-10-2014, 08:23 AM
You are the sort of person who takes toy cars out of boxes and has fun with them, they aren't meant for that

Path Walker
09-10-2014, 08:30 AM
I don't think GW ever referred to Space Hulk as a limited release, just whilst stocks last. I was digging though my WD issues, sorting out which ones to throw away and ones to keep and came across the 2009 issue with this release in it. I will have a look.

Make no mistake though, I don't think this release is anything but a short term attempt to get some money in after a poor financial year. I don't blame them it's obviously a popular product. I would like to have seen a completely new edition though with different models and not a "whilst stocks last" release.

Even better let's have a Blood bowl box set.

Me I've just bought "super dungeon explore" so I was debating if I should buy this too, likely I will.

Super Dungeon Explore is ace, but, its rubbish with two players in my experience, Space Hulk is one of the few very interesting 2 player board games.

Gir
09-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Super Dungeon Explore is ace, but, its rubbish with two players in my experience, Space Hulk is one of the few very interesting 2 player board games.

Problem with Super Dungeon Explore is that the heros just need to take the Paladin and then they win. And if you want to be extra jerk, take Nyan-Nyan as that thing just refuses to die.

Krefey
09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm interested in getting it if only for extra board tiles and minis.

odinsgrandson
09-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Problem with Super Dungeon Explore is that the heros just need to take the Paladin and then they win. And if you want to be extra jerk, take Nyan-Nyan as that thing just refuses to die.

I guess this is a little OT, but if you want things to be more challenging for the heroes, play a 3 hero game instead of a 5 hero game. And if you really want to grind them into the ground, go with Roxxor's dungeon. He's all about stomping those heroes into the ground, along with his Fireflow Denizens.

The new rules that we've seen from Forgotten King seem to fix the game quite a bit, and the Paladin is getting fixed.

On a side note, I prefer games to be available. I have a full Space Hulk set that I'm never going to part with (it is fully painted as well). I'd rather people were able to buy it- it's a great game.

I'd really love for this new edition to just be available indefinitely. And then, GW could make an Expansion (gasp). I mean, that's what everybody else does with board games that sell lots of copies.

The thing that GW might not realize is that they aren't necessarily mining the same crowd here (most of their business model and statements to investors makes it clear that they intend on mining the same crowd for all of their profits). Sure, some people will be buying Space Hulk instead of $125 of Tau, but there are loads of gamers who aren't playing 40k anymore but love the old games. Some of these guys detest GW in general (for not supporting Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Battlefleet Gothic, Mordheim, Gorka Morka, Space Crusade, Warhammer Quest, Epic 40k, Inquisitor, etc). But they buy Space Hulk.

Do we have confirmation that the new stuff is going to be available in White Dwarf? I haven't picked up a WD in a very long time (although I've kept all of my older WDs with Space Hulk missions- or Space Crusade content). But that'd be a reason to grab a copy.

There are two people that I can see being upset about this news. People who were waiting for someone to actually buy their copy of Space Hulk for $300, and people who just bought their copy of Space Hulk for $300.

Mr Mystery
09-11-2014, 07:57 AM
This could of course be a toe in the water.

First release of Space Hulk proved a limited release Space Hulk was popular - hurrah.

This one? This one will prove if Space Hulk is popular.

I appreciate I'm splitting hairs here somewhat, but bear with. The initial release was be all accounts a roaring success. Sold out, and copies go for sillydaft money. But, that doesn't necessarily mean this second release will perform quite as well.

I fully expect it to, because let's face it Space Hulk is an ace game. But popular on one splash release doesn't prove as much as two popular splash releases of the same product.

If this one succeeds as much as the first, we could well see random reprints of games in the future - say one or two a year. Once the initial production is completed, you print enough copies to at least break even at a set price point (and remember folks, £75 for a board game of this calibre isn't exactly mental given the existing market). That done? Well, minimal production costs for the next release wave, and so on and so forth.

It's an interesting business proposition! There are other games which could benefit from similar short spin releases. Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Warhammer Quest (oh Gods PLEASE WARHAMMER QUEST!) and so on. All are 'one box' games, so have a finite production cost (unlike 40k and Warhammer, which keep on eating up production and development cash!) - that's pretty appealing. Get a cycle of say four or five titles going, do one a year, and you can guarantee a good month once every year - and in the run up to Chrimbo, it gets spods in store, cash in hand. And once someone is in a GW store, decent staff can turn a hibernating hobbyist into an active hobbyist.....

40kGamer
09-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Man I hope Space Hulk sells well enough to either lead to expansions or a revival of other old games. (Advanced) Space Crusade would be great to see again too.

Mr Mystery
09-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Completely wild speculation like - but I reckon they could successfully repackage Necromunda and Gorkamorka into a single - they pretty much did it with the addition of the Ash Waste Nomads.

But, instead of Humies and Boyz? Inquisition Kill Squad v Chaos Cultists. Time it to arrive just before or after a full Inquisition Codex, and boof, you've got a stand alone game to act as a potential entry point to the wider 40k game. Doesn't need to contain enough models for an army by any stretch, but they should be exquisite sculpts (ala Space Hulk) which can be used in existing 40k armies. Get people hooked on the setting (the one thing I don't think anyone can argue GW don't rule supreme with) and the armies will follow!

40kGamer
09-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Inquisition Kill Squad v Chaos Cultists. Time it to arrive just before or after a full Inquisition Codex

It may just be my wishful thinking, but with the direct tie in to 40k and the crossover potential of the models, I would fully expect any Inquisition skirmish game to be a big hit.

Mr Mystery
09-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Not sure I'd make the game a direct tie-in. 40k light may not work. Just needs the miniatures to be tranferable - sadly Dreadfleet didn't take that tack, and despite being a really, really awesome game, suffered for it (that and the vocal minority being especially vocal because nobody at GW consulted them about it)

But a game replicating the intense activities of an Inquisitor and henchsquad? That gets you into the background, especially as everyone would much prefer to play the no doubt cackling, over confident, maniacal Cult leader :p

Oh, and any game should be fully self contained - but also user expandable. Takes the onus off the producer. Consider a Dungeon Crawl like Warhammer Quest. Gods I miss that game! The great trick of that game was that the boxed set contained a book, and that book contained stats for every creature in Warhammer. No need to include the models or do special runs - the stats were the things. That allowed us spods to populate our own dungeons, and generate our own quests. They did do a couple (maybe as many as four, memory is hazy there) of official expansions - but they really weren't need. Well received and welcome yes, but not needed to keep the game fresh. That one book did all that for us!

More like that - Single game. Bought by the curious, the magpie or the dewy eyed veteran wearing the rose tinted specs. Game itself makes it's money back based on that single production run, no doubt also turning a pretty neat little profit (this is business). Then leave it be. Those who don't have the time/finances/inclination to do a full army for the main games can still find an excuse to buy say, box of Skellingtons here, perhaps some Witch Elves there. It's all money in the pot at the end of the day. And if someone has the cunning plan to do say a Skaven themed dungeon? Why one day, it's just possible they'll look at their collection and think 'hey you know, Screaming Bell here, Warp Lightning Cannon there, and I can actually play Warhammer proper with this lot'.....

40kGamer
09-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Not sure I'd make the game a direct tie-in. 40k light may not work. Just needs the miniatures to be tranferable - sadly Dreadfleet didn't take that tack, and despite being a really, really awesome game, suffered for it (that and the vocal minority being especially vocal because nobody at GW consulted them about it)

Good point! I wasn't thinking 40k lite as much as the direct tie in with the background and minis. Thinking along the lines that a lot of veterans would buy it to use the figures in 40k proper even if they didn't want to play the self contained game. I don't know what happened with Dreadfleet as it was a fine little game in it's own right. I guess the only quibble I had was that the scale was so different from the old MoW that the ships couldn't be shared back and forth... plus I really love the old MoW game. The only positive from the DF debacle was that I got to pick up a couple copies for less than half retail. Still I would have preferred it be a big success like Space Hulk.

Oh, and any game should be fully self contained - but also user expandable. Takes the onus off the producer. Consider a Dungeon Crawl like Warhammer Quest. Gods I miss that game!

Warhammer Quest was the only GW product I was ever able to get my wife to play so I would be happy to see it return with updates too! :D

More like that - Single game. Bought by the curious, the magpie or the dewy eyed veteran wearing the rose tinted specs. Game itself makes it's money back based on that single production run, no doubt also turning a pretty neat little profit (this is business). Then leave it be.

I really think self contained games have a huge business potential for GW. I know a lot of us long time veterans can grumble like Longbeards but the majority want to see them continue to do well and put out top notch products. I fully understand why they axed the Specialist Games but I really miss them being readily available. Ebay is not a friendly place to score the out of print stuff.... after shopping for stuff there GW prices seem down right reasonable. :rolleyes:

Mr Mystery
09-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Yup.

I really hope Space Hulk is just the tip of the 'limited release (not limited edition' standalone iceberg. That would be hella cool.

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-11-2014, 10:49 AM
More standalone games in the 40k universe would be appealing to me. I'd like to see a space hulk equivilent but deathwatch boarding a necron tomb ship ors omething. Love the idea of the inquisitor game too. So yeah I agree these self-contained games have a lot of potential. These days I don't like collecting big armies and I'd rather play a more simple "all in the box" type of game.

Mr Mystery
09-11-2014, 10:54 AM
They're also useful for 'burn out'. I think even the nuttiest 40k gamer can get a little 'meh' from time to time, and typically that ennui is lifted by a spangly new Codex, or perhaps a cool looking model coming out.

A boxed game, and one not 'simplified 40k' can help to tide us over during these periods.

I definitely think there is a call for such games within the market. Only question of course - is that call big enough to make a sustained effort worthwhile to GW?

Erik Setzer
09-11-2014, 11:59 AM
More standalone games in the 40k universe would be appealing to me. I'd like to see a space hulk equivilent but deathwatch boarding a necron tomb ship ors omething. Love the idea of the inquisitor game too. So yeah I agree these self-contained games have a lot of potential. These days I don't like collecting big armies and I'd rather play a more simple "all in the box" type of game.

They used to have a few of those... Beyond Space Hulk, you had Space Crusade and Tyranid Attack, I think one or two others. They also collaborated with someone, I want to say Milton Bradley, to do BattleMasters, which was a fantasy game with "regiments" that you moved across the board (and that supplied a number of models for some of our armies back in the day). The really nice thing was that you could find some of these games at hobby shops or even (in the case of BattleMasters) big retail stores (got a few copies of BM at Pic-N-Save when it was still open).

It'd be great to see a return of those games. Heck, I'd love to see a game that works as a standalone game but could be expanded with other 40K kits, so you have a standalone game *and* you can expand it if you want to (*and* GW gets to make more sales)... wins all around! But that'd take a bit more effort.

Brakkart
09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Do we have confirmation that the new stuff is going to be available in White Dwarf? I haven't picked up a WD in a very long time (although I've kept all of my older WDs with Space Hulk missions- or Space Crusade content). But that'd be a reason to grab a copy.

Had a flick through this weeks White Dwarf today. It states that the box set includes new tiles, 4 more missions and so on. So there is extra stuff in this release of the game than was in the previous release. The magazine itself includes another new mission and some extra tiles that can be photocopied/cut out and presumably mounted on card to use them.

Wildeybeast
09-11-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm assuming the extra stuff in the new edition isn't available for sale separately?

Brakkart
09-12-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm assuming the extra stuff in the new edition isn't available for sale separately?

If it is it certainly didn't have a listing for that pack in this weeks White Dwarf, but then if they were to do that, the cynic in me thinks they'd wait a few weeks before doing so to tempt as many as possible to buy the new box set first. I very much doubt that they will make the new bits available separately though.

Mr Mystery
09-12-2014, 02:13 AM
Kind of goes against the 'single box' ethos.

Bit of a something for third party tile makers to knock together though?

odinsgrandson
09-12-2014, 08:34 AM
This could of course be a toe in the water.

First release of Space Hulk proved a limited release Space Hulk was popular - hurrah.

This one? This one will prove if Space Hulk is popular.

I disagree. The first one proved that an LE release of Space Hulk is popular. I think that Dreadfleet proved that LE board game releases from Games Workshop are not popular. At least, that's the lesson that I think GW learned.

I appreciate I'm splitting hairs here somewhat, but bear with. The initial release was be all accounts a roaring success. Sold out, and copies go for sillydaft money. But, that doesn't necessarily mean this second release will perform quite as well.

I fully expect it to, because let's face it Space Hulk is an ace game. But popular on one splash release doesn't prove as much as two popular splash releases of the same product.

Well, you have tapped out your audience pretty hard already (selling all of those copies 5 years ago). And I don't believe that this new version has very much for the people who already own the 3rd edition.

What this can prove is whether or not Space Hulk will be a perennial favorite, or if it is a big seller that drops off.

I can't imagine that it will be as big as five years ago- products like this sell tons of copies right away, then turn into a much smaller revenue stream. This one will have an initial burst of people who missed out the first time around, then we'll see if Space Hulk can sell like Settlers of Catan.

If this one succeeds as much as the first, we could well see random reprints of games in the future - say one or two a year...

GW tested those waters already. And man, I wish that's what happened. I'd love for them to be taking a look at their older games and considering what they could re-publish.

But I think that their take home from Dreadfleet was that Space Hulk is popular, but other GW boxed board games might be market losers.

This isn't another old game that their putting money into. This is the one that was successful getting a re-printing.

So, what I'm seeing is that they invested in Space Hulk for an LE release, and it did well for them. But I think they're convinced that it is the only one.

Makes me think we're not going to see new versions of Tyranid Attack, Advanced Space Crusade, Warhammer Quest, Ultramarine, Space Fleet or a number of their other boxed game properties.

A lot of their older game properties didn't use minis, and those are all going to Fantasy Flight these days (so we won't be seeing a new Battle For Armageddon).

And if they weren't crazy, they might have noticed the splash that Gamezone made when they decided to do a 20th anniversary tribute to HeroQuest. Their own Warhammer Quest was really a re-working of Advanced HeroQuest, and I suspect that would sell quite well.

(Sadly, I have little hope that they could ever re-print their old joint ventures with MB. But I'd love to see some new Space Crusade).

It's an interesting business proposition! There are other games which could benefit from similar short spin releases. Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Warhammer Quest (oh Gods PLEASE WARHAMMER QUEST!) and so on. All are 'one box' games.....

I personally don't think that Blood Bowl (with it's 28 or so teams) or Necromunda would make good box games. I'd happily welcome a new starter box for either of them, but they both need support beyond that.

That's true of a lot of the games that GW discontinued. Gorka Morka, Mordheim, Epic 40k, and Battlefleet Gothic all have the same business model as 40k and WFB- they're just smaller scale.

JMichael
09-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Its up on the site now.
The tiles look shiny!
Also they have digital expansions for UltraMarines, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves!
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Books-Digital?N=102356+4294967192&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=phl

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I missed out the first time, but I think ill give it a pass this time around also and for the same old reason that puts me off most Visual based SF - the aliens have legs and arms. I suppose I could switch out the genestealers for some of my own sculpts but then where is the point in buying a "complete game in the box"?

Kirsten
09-12-2014, 12:58 PM
I bought most of the bits individually last time as I missed out on the complete set from GW. all I am missing are the terminators so I might keep an eye open for those on ebay.

Pssyche
09-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I bought most of the bits individually last time as I missed out on the complete set from GW. all I am missing are the terminators so I might keep an eye open for those on ebay.

It would make more sense monetarily to buy the new set and sell the bits you don't want.

Kirsten
09-12-2014, 01:29 PM
yeah but I don't have the money to buy a whole set.

Pssyche
09-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Then you probably won't have the money to buy the Terminators individually either.
Nobody's going to sell them for less than £6 each, and there's a dozen or so.
That takes you to the cost of a full boxed set.
And even then you'd have postage on top of each individual model.

Kirsten
09-12-2014, 01:49 PM
I don't have to buy them all at once though, and given that there is about to be a load more sets online the price may drop. all the terminators together were going for £30 when Space Hulk launched last time.

Pssyche
09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't have to buy them all at once though, and given that there is about to be a load more sets online the price may drop. all the terminators together were going for £30 when Space Hulk launched last time.

I admire your optimism and good luck.
I just don't see it happening though, bearing in mind people have now seen the prices they've been going for, for the last five years.
They'll hold out for bigger money than that.
Still, I'll be interested to see how it pans out for you.

Good luck and I genuinely mean that.

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-12-2014, 02:05 PM

Me either, £75 is a LOT of money for me....not that I'm complaining though.

Deadlift
09-12-2014, 06:30 PM
I shouldn't have bought......but I did. I sold my 2009 and regretted it. Not this time.

lobster-overlord
09-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Just got the solicitation for this through my distributor, and like last time, it is going on allocation (meaning you are limited in the number you can order). Unfortunately, as I am not brick&mortar, I can't order any.

John M>

White Tiger88
09-12-2014, 09:37 PM
I shouldn't have bought......but I did. I sold my 2009 and regretted it. Not this time.

Could be worse..........you could of bought a Lotr army.....

Deadlift
09-13-2014, 01:21 AM
Just got the solicitation for this through my distributor, and like last time, it is going on allocation (meaning you are limited in the number you can order). Unfortunately, as I am not brick&mortar, I can't order any.

John M>

My local model shop was allocated 3 copies, that's it.

Darren Richardson
09-13-2014, 07:13 AM
They used to have a few of those... Beyond Space Hulk, you had Space Crusade and Tyranid Attack, I think one or two others.

Let's see, for 40K's universe GW did Advanced Space Crusade, Tyranid Attack (essentailly a re-use of ASC parts), Ultra-Marines (scouts against scouts using Space Hulk floorplans, I had that, great game, very quick to play).

They also put out Space Fleet (the earlist for-runner to Battlefleet Gothic) and Titin Legions (the original version), quickly followed by Space Marine, both later refered to as part of the Epic range.

With MB they issued Space Crusade, which was the gateway drug for many players now in their late 30's.

They also collaborated with someone, I want to say Milton Bradley, to do BattleMasters, which was a fantasy game with "regiments" that you moved across the board (and that supplied a number of models for some of our armies back in the day). The really nice thing was that you could find some of these games at hobby shops or even (in the case of BattleMasters) big retail stores (got a few copies of BM at Pic-N-Save when it was still open).

I remember Battlemasters, After Hero Quest's success they tried to introduce a simple take on mass battle games to try and keep on their roll, but the game flunked, mostly because of the size of the bloody playing mat provided, and the clunky rules and cards system.

Saying that they did issue two army packs, of which I did get the Empire one and still have everything but the cannon....

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Sold out on the UK site. I expected as much.

Patrick Boyle
09-13-2014, 11:08 AM
My local model shop was allocated 3 copies, that's it.

Hm. My FLGS claimed they were going to be getting 20+. Maybe I shouldn't cancel my preorder through the website, just in case...

odinsgrandson
09-13-2014, 08:29 PM
They have three expansions in ebook. That's interesting.

I wonder just how much you'd need the 2014 edition for them. I have the 2009 edition, and won't be forking out the money for a couple of extra tiles.

Pssyche
09-14-2014, 02:56 AM
The new tiles are in White Dwarf.
Whilst they don't explicitly say it, they are clearly there for owners of Space Hulk 2009 to scan and use.
You'll have to scale them up a touch, but what do you want for nothing?

Darren Richardson
09-14-2014, 03:22 AM
Sold out on the UK site. I expected as much.

this is the problem, the bit sellers are the ones with the most money compared to hobbyists, so they snap up all the copies before the hobbyists have any chance of buying a copy, and that is what really stinks abut all of GW's "Limited" releases, us poorer hobbyist who have to wait a month for payday to have the spare funds miss out :(

lobster-overlord
09-14-2014, 06:54 AM
this is the problem, the bit sellers are the ones with the most money compared to hobbyists, so they snap up all the copies before the hobbyists have any chance of buying a copy, and that is what really stinks abut all of GW's "Limited" releases, us poorer hobbyist who have to wait a month for payday to have the spare funds miss out :(

Having worked for one, I know this is not true. Tons of stores preordered their allocations through several distributors, but left the distributors hanging, then that bits store scooped them up ONLY AFTER the stores that ordered them renigged and left the distributors hanging for thousands of dollars of product and made them available after several weeks of sitting on them. Don't blame the bits sellers for the limited cash flow of the FLGS in this particular instance.

Mr Mystery
09-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Well, there's a fair chance I might miss out. I don't get paid until a week on Tuesday, and my local store thinks he's getting about 15 or so in with his delivery. Numbers are expected to be confirmed later today, or so I'm told.

So you know what? I explained to him that I'm mad for getting a copy, and the above situation. Earliest I can get in store with the readies is Tuesday 24 September, and that involves using up my lieu from work I accrued this week (worked an extra 10 hours, because I'm ace and know when my division needs the extra support).

And he's going to stick one, just a single copy, aside for me. Now I dunno how many of you have a local store, or what your relationship with the store runner is like - but it has to be worth a punt. Customer loyalty swings both ways folks :)

Darren Richardson
09-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Having worked for one, I know this is not true. Tons of stores preordered their allocations through several distributors, but left the distributors hanging, then that bits store scooped them up ONLY AFTER the stores that ordered them renigged and left the distributors hanging for thousands of dollars of product and made them available after several weeks of sitting on them. Don't blame the bits sellers for the limited cash flow of the FLGS in this particular instance.

I wasn't refering to FLGS having stock of the damn things, I was refering to GW's webstore, I work in retailing so I am very much aware on store Allocation issues thank you, that effects ALMOST all retail outlets.

What I was refering to, was that Games Workshops website is sold out already, and I personally believe that is how most Bit Sellers get there stock, since GW has in the past tried to clamp down on the parts market* and will most likely NOT sell to KNOWN re-sellers outside of their normal 3rd party selling channels.

*Which IMHO was just shooting themselves in the foot when they scrapped their bitz sellijng, I expect they lost a lot of revenue as a result, of course these days with almost all models in plastic, they can't really sell parts, I just wish they would do the classic bitz in resin instead.

And just to be clear, I do sometimes use bit re-sellers when I need a part to repair or customise a model, I just really dislike some of them who buy up ALL availaible copies of limited products, SOLELY to sell them for parts, it deprives others from buying complete sets at normal retail price.

Herzlos
09-15-2014, 06:18 AM
What I was refering to, was that Games Workshops website is sold out already, and I personally believe that is how most Bit Sellers get there stock, since GW has in the past tried to clamp down on the parts market* and will most likely NOT sell to KNOWN re-sellers outside of their normal 3rd party selling channels.

The fact it was limited to 3 boxes per customer makes me think that is what they want; speculators snapping them up. If it was a proper LE release, I'd be expecting 1 per customer, but GW just want to offload as quickly as possible at full RRP.

Mr Mystery
09-15-2014, 06:27 AM
Yes. By limiting the number you could order to something ultimately quite reasonable they are clearly looking for the speculator market.

Top marks on logic there.

40kGamer
09-15-2014, 07:21 AM
The fact it was limited to 3 boxes per customer makes me think that is what they want; speculators snapping them up. If it was a proper LE release, I'd be expecting 1 per customer, but GW just want to offload as quickly as possible at full RRP.

I actually get multiple copies of limited products for myself. I keep one as is out of the box and use the others for conversions/bits. So I think 3 is a very reasonable limit.

odinsgrandson
09-15-2014, 08:35 AM
I actually get multiple copies of limited products for myself. I keep one as is out of the box and use the others for conversions/bits. So I think 3 is a very reasonable limit.

I can see what you mean. However, the fact that the market for out of print LE Space Hulk 3rd edition has proven to be pretty strong, I think there is a point to be made that some people are going to be securing extra copies as speculative investment.

This has been happening with Kickstarters quite a lot recently (with LE characters coming out all over the place- and if the game is popular, those $10 characters will eBay for $50) and limited release figures (like the ones Wyrd does pretty often). I don't think that GW has their head under a rock so far that they can't see that selling to speculators might be profitable for them.

40kGamer
09-15-2014, 08:41 AM
I think there is a point to be made that some people are going to be securing extra copies as speculative investment.

This has been happening with Kickstarters quite a lot recently (with LE characters coming out all over the place- and if the game is popular, those $10 characters will eBay for $50) and limited release figures (like the ones Wyrd does pretty often). I don't think that GW has their head under a rock so far that they can't see that selling to speculators might be profitable for them.

Sadly enough I see what you mean. Most everything 'limited' or out of print gets silly priced on ebay. I guess it's an easy way to make money and Space Hulk is a pretty safe bet to be popular.

Gatlag Stonetooth
09-16-2014, 03:29 AM
I preordered a copy for 80 euro yesterday! :)

odinsgrandson
09-16-2014, 12:25 PM
I preordered a copy for 80 euro yesterday! :)

Huh. That's significantly cheaper than in the US.

Gatlag Stonetooth
09-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah I know, I preordered it via an online independent retailer (http://www.tabletopminiaturegames.eu/index.php?action=article&aid=12998&group_id=43&lang=EN). They were offering it with a 20% discount and had 4 copies in stock when I placed my order. I'm still a bit skeptic and will believe when I receive the package. :)

Agramar
09-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Even 3 boxes per customer is excessive,in my opinion.I don't belive that everyone is like you...

40kGamer
09-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Even 3 boxes per customer is excessive,in my opinion.I don't belive that everyone is like you...

Seems a lot of people are very opportunistic about grabbing them up for speculative ebay profits so 3 may be excessive. Plus for those few hobby nuts like me it's easy enough to secure a single copy from various FLGS and/or GW direct to get the extra bits and pieces.

Agramar
09-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Seems a lot of people are very opportunistic about grabbing them up for speculative ebay profits so 3 may be excessive. Plus for those few hobby nuts like me it's easy enough to secure a single copy from various FLGS and/or GW direct to get the extra bits and pieces.
Yep.Last weekend,a follower of my blog told that some copies were just in ebay.Sad,but true:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Space-Hulk-2014-Ltd-Ed-OOP-Sin-of-Damnation-HB-WD-Weekly-Issue-33-/191328054249?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item2c8c0a6be9
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-40K-Ltd-Ed-Space-Hulk-Sealed-2014-Genestealers-Tyranid-GW-Sold-Out-/191327863484?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item2c8c0782bc

Money and sense of business...

Gatlag Stonetooth
09-23-2014, 04:42 AM
I received my copy last saturday so it wasn't too good to be true! :)

odinsgrandson
09-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Congrats, then!

By the way, there is a review of one of the expansion ebooks on Tabletop Gaming News. It is mostly positive (just a bit pricey, it sounds).

The reviewer said that there were quite a few new weapons, but I don't think he knew that the missions are all quite old.

Gatlag Stonetooth
09-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks! Quite happy with my catch! Was going to get it anyway but at this price it's even better! :)

I've been pondering about those expansions as well, especially because my gaming buddy plays Space Wolves. So that one should be really nice. I also think the price is quite high. If it was printed I'd pay I would probably already have bough it.

Do you have a link to that review?

odinsgrandson
09-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Sure, here it is. (http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2014/09/22/94667/) They only reviewed the Dark Angel one, but I expect that the amount of content is about equal across the board.

From the look of things, the missions themselves are reprints of old White Dwarf campaigns. But the new weapons rules look entirely new.

Gatlag Stonetooth
09-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the link, going to check it out.
I will probably have those old White Dwarfs somewhere (if it also was in the UK version) but I'm too lazy to look them up. ;)