PDA

View Full Version : Is this timing even possible?

Dalleron
08-30-2014, 05:14 PM
I was talking about HH books and their general awesomeness when a thought occurred to me, but even I don't know if it makes sense. It involves the Night Lords, Dark Angels and Vulkan.

So assuming you know the story of the HH so far regarding the aformentioned parties I was thinking. Did Kurze have enough time to capture Vulkan after Istvaan, go on and do his thing during the Thramas crusade and the events in Unremembered Empire.

Vulkan is captured, killed repeatedly by Kurze, drops him off to torture him somewhere, wherein Vulkan gets him hammer and teleports out.

Meanwhile, the Night Lords and Dark Angels are scrapping it out somewhere, where Kurze is stuck on one of the Lion's ship, messes up stuff while aboard.

All of them meet up on Maccragge through circumstances.

Was Kurze torturing Vulkan while fighting the Dark Angels? I don't think so and nothing hints at it, unless its in books I haven't read yet. Does Vulkan spend an unknown amount of time in the warp after he teleports away from Kurze? Does anything seem possible in regards to time?

MajorWesJanson
08-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Does Vulkan spend an unknown amount of time in the warp after he teleports away from Kurze?

IIRC, there is a year or two between Vulkan teleporting away and the final scene where he arrives in low Macragge orbit. Funky Warp timey-wimey stuff. It also helps explain why he loses it completely in Unremembered Empire

Dalleron
08-31-2014, 08:44 AM
So the Night Lords terrorize the Thramas Sector, thrown down with the DA, with the DA winning and travelling to Maccragge in 2 years? Doesn't seem very likely to me.

Tokunator
09-01-2014, 01:43 AM
Black Library published a short story called Prince of Crows last month that answers all your questions, including how long the fighting in the Thramas Sector lasted.

SPOILERS BELOW: HIGHLIGHT TO READ

Basically, in a previous story, Kurze got beaten up by the Lion and therefore was in a coma, so his Legion commanders kill each other to gain control of the Legion, one faction wanting to run and hide and one wanting to get revenge on the Dark Angels. Sevatar wins the power struggle by using the convincing argument of teleporting a Terminator kill squad into the council chamber to kill off his opponents. However, the Angels attack the slowly reforming Night Lords fleet and Sevatar prepares to hold them off whilst giving most of the fleet, including the ship carrying the comatose Kurze, the chance to escape. His plan is to charge straight at the Dark Angels and board them. Unfortunately, Kurze awakens and does the same thing, so he becomes trapped on the Dark Angels flagship when every ship sent to delay the Angels is destroyed.

clively
09-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Tokunator: that bit doesn't cover the amount of time that passed.

Having just read Vulkan Lives and Unremembered Empire this week, I think the timing here is ok.

This guy put together a timeline covered by the novels and where they fit in it.

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Svioxi/media/HH_Timeline_zps9b3ce665.png.html?sort=3&o=3