PDA

View Full Version : Objective Secured in UnBound army list

JMichael
08-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Man, I seem to have a lot of rules questions coming up this month!
So reading the Command Benefits p120 (Ideal Mission Commander & Objective Secured) I noticed that you get them for using the Combined Arms Detachment and/or Allied Detachment p122.
No mention, that I saw, in regards to Battle-Forged or Unbound p117.

So the following Unbound army:
Sisters Primary CAD
Space Marines CAD
Inquisition Detachment
StormLord (Astra Millitarium Lord of War-makes the army unbound)

The Troops in my Sisters and Space Marines should still have Objective Secured, correct?

If I'm missing something, please let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

One sentence...p117 under 'The Primary Detachment' last sentence. "...in an unbound army, these models are not bound by any Detachment restrictions and do not receive Command Benefits."
But I think that is assuming you are not using any Combined Arms Detachments.
I didn't see anything in Unboud that doesn't allow CADs or that only Battle-Forged can use CADs.

daboarder
08-28-2014, 06:18 PM
no,

when you go unbound the only command benefits your receive are from formations.

JMichael
08-28-2014, 06:59 PM
no,

when you go unbound the only command benefits your receive are from formations.

Where does it say that?
Command Benefits seem to apply to a CAD regardless of Battle-Forged or Unbound.

daboarder
08-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Don’t forget that Detachments are entirely optional and you can still select an army by taking any models from your collection, as discussed in the Unbound method – it just means that none of the models in your army receive Command Benefits.

Unlike other Detachments, Formations can also be taken as part of Unbound armies. If they are, their units maintain the special rules gained for being part of the Formation.

Normally I'd probably tell you to find these yourself, but the army selection rules are a frakking mess, so here you go

JMichael
08-28-2014, 07:21 PM
I figured there was a good reason I assumed that Command Benefits didn't apply to Unbound but I wanted to make sure this just wasn't something we all assumed.
I didn't find your reference (page?), but regardless I did notice that on p122 right under the 'Core Detachments' headline is says, "The following detachments can be included in any Battle-Forged Army."

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and thank you!

daboarder
08-28-2014, 07:25 PM
the first quotes from detachments and the second quotes from the formation section

Katharon
08-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Basic rule of thumb is to just go with a blanket "Unbound = no objective secured" in my opinion.

daboarder
08-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Basic rule of thumb is to just go with a blanket "Unbound = no objective secured" in my opinion.
Yup, with the exception of skyblight

hyudun
08-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Edit: Whoops, skimmed at first and didn't see that daboarder beat me to it.

True, it's never explicitly stated that Unbound Armies can't take detachments, but there's a strong case against it in several related rules:

"Don’t forget that Detachments are entirely optional and you can still select an army by taking any models from your collection, as discussed in the Unbound method – it just means that none of the models in your army receive Command Benefits." Choosing Your Army - Detachments. Unbound armies don't receive Command Benefits.

"'You can include any number and type of Detachments in a Battle-forged army provided you have sufficient units." Choosing Your Army - Selecting Detachments. Implication that you can't choose Detachments in an Unbound army by omission.

"Unlike other Detachments, Formations can also be taken as part of Unbound armies. If they are, their units maintain the special rules gained for being part of the Formation." Choosing Your Army - Formations. Implies that non-Formation Detachments cannot be taken as part of Unbound armies.

DWest
08-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Yup, with the exception of skyblight
Or Pedro Kantor, with Sternguard.

sebi81
08-29-2014, 01:09 AM
As far as I unterstood, you choose first if you play an unbound army or not. If you play unbound you just take what you like and donīt think about detachments etc. and donīt get any command benefits.
If you choose to play a battle-forged army, you use the detachments you like and you have to follow all their restrictions. The units in the detachments gain their command benefits. If youīre not playing a battle-forged army you can not gain benefits.

By the way, only combined arms detachments and allied detachments get objective secured. Ojective secured ainīt a rule for all battle-forged armies but a rule of some special forms of detachment. If your army consists of a Nemesis Strike Force detachment and an Inquisitorial detachment, the army is battle-forged but no unit has objective secured.

Captain Bubonicus
09-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Lemme make sure I'm following you, Sebi:

I wanna use the "Great Company" formation in the Space Wolves codex. I can jigger it so that it also complies with the Battle-forged "Combined Arms Detachment" as well. Would I get the benefit of the special "Great Company" rules and the "Objective Secured" Command Benefit all together, or would I have to choose one set of goodies or the other?

DWest
09-02-2014, 08:17 PM
You must pick one or the other. A good way to think of it is "pick a detachment and then fill it with units" rather than "pick some units and then see what detachment they match".

Captain Bubonicus
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Yah, that makes sense. Thanks!

JMichael
09-02-2014, 10:55 PM
And in order to get the command benefits you must use the listed CAD detachment. Just because you are Battle-Forged via some other detachment type (any Imperial Armour one for example) does not confer the command benefits.
I assume we may see special Detachments that will have their own unique Command Benefits, that would be coolio.

sebi81
09-02-2014, 11:27 PM
There are already special detachments with their own unique command benefits. Every 7th edition codex has one and the supplements have their own. Nemesis Strike Force Detachment in Codex Grey Knights for example not only changes the FOC but has the Rites of Teleportation command benefit.

Charistoph
09-03-2014, 12:09 AM
You must pick one or the other. A good way to think of it is "pick a detachment and then fill it with units" rather than "pick some units and then see what detachment they match".

Correct. Remember, units may only belong to one single Detachment.