PDA

View Full Version : vortex weapons

OlDirtyCosta
08-28-2014, 09:20 AM
More specifically Vortex of Doom. The vortex ability in the bsb states the vortex becomes impassable terrain. If you don't kill the model out right with the D strength weapon, wouldn't the unit be killed anyway because it's in impassable terrain. I can't find anything in the rule book that says otherwise.

Wolfshade
08-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I would have thought that the models would locked in place until the vortex moved away.

You can't move in or through impassable terrain or deploy on it, however, there is nothing that says that you can't have impassable terrain occur on you.

Though how this would then be resolved if the unit was called upon to make involuntary movement (fall back, go to ground etc.) I wouldn't like to hazard a guess.

John Bower
08-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Basically you can't move until it does. Once it's gone you can then move unless of course it only moves a couple of inches or so; at least 3 as a 2 would make it vanish anyway. But yeah, models can't move until the Vortex does.

Charon
08-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Jump, Jetbike, Skimmer, Jetpack,... would not be affected anyways.
Not quite sure but RAW seems not to prevent you from leaving.
Forbidden:
Enter -> you cant go in
Cross -> you cant enter and leave on the same turn
move into -> same as enter
through -> from A to B within the terrain

there is nothing preventing you from starting inside and ending outside (leaving, moving out of) impassible terrain.

Wolfshade
08-29-2014, 02:27 AM
To move through it you will have to be passing through it, which is what being impassible means you can't do.

I think anything caught by it and not destroyed wouldn't be able to get out of it. You can't use a jet pack inside a building to get to the floor above as the ceiling is impassible.

RAW it is a grey area, like can they shoot out of it?

Since this is a swirling votex of DOOOM, I would like to imagine that whoever survives eddy of death would be clinging on to the floor for their dear life unable to do anything other than to hold onto the floor with tehir fingernails and pray that they don't get sucked into oblivion. But as we all know fluff and rules are oil and water.

Charon
08-29-2014, 03:16 AM
You can't use a jet pack inside a building to get to the floor above as the ceiling is impassible.

Rules say that the jetpack can cross and enter impassible terrain as long as they can stand on it, which is dangerous terrain for them.

BRB

Jet Pack models cannot end their move on top of other models and can only end their move on top of impassable terrain if it is actually possible to place the models on top of it. If they do this, however, they treat the impassable terrain as dangerous terrain.

Wolfshade
08-29-2014, 03:52 AM
Well now there's a thing.

Jet packs can fly out of it. Still doesn't "feel" right mind.

Charon
08-29-2014, 04:36 AM
There are a lot of rules that "don't feel right" ;)

OlDirtyCosta
08-29-2014, 11:14 AM
They need to get a faq out lol.

John Bower
08-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Jump, Jetbike, Skimmer, Jetpack,... would not be affected anyways.
Not quite sure but RAW seems not to prevent you from leaving.
Forbidden:
Enter -> you cant go in
Cross -> you cant enter and leave on the same turn
move into -> same as enter
through -> from A to B within the terrain

there is nothing preventing you from starting inside and ending outside (leaving, moving out of) impassible terrain.

I know this will sound pedantic but... You have to move 'through' it to get to the edge to move 'out' of it. So still you would be stuck unless as has been said you're JP/JB/Skimmer et. al. in which case it's dangerous.

Charon
08-29-2014, 02:13 PM
I guess they refer to start and endpoint as cross and enter would also trigger "through" and would be retundant.
So "enter" would be "start outside and end inside", cross would be "start outside and end outside" and through would be "start inside and end inside". Following this (which seems to work as a theory) there would be no term disallowing "start inside and end outside".
I would actually go that route as it does not nessessarily contradict rules and provides a quick and clean solution to the problem without causing additional difficulties.