PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld in "normal" 40K games.

musical-fool
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi guys and gals, nids and all the rest,

Being fairly new to 40K and having had my eye on a few Forgeworld models for a while now, I was just wondering what the limits (if there are any) to using Forgeworld models in regular games?

I mean, it's common sense not to use a Baneblade in a regular game so you wouldn't use a T-Hawk...but I was mainly thinking of the likes of the Chaplain Dread and upcoming Lucius drop pod? Would these be allowed?

What do you think?

Lindargo
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
As long as you have the rules, and you've asked your opponent if its ok to use FW, you can use as much as you want!

-Lin

Lerra
01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
They are allowed if your opponent allows them, similar to home-built rules.

Forgeworld rules for models that are not super heavies, flyers, or formations were intended to be used in regular 40k. From personal experience, the modern FW rules are well balanced and most opponents shouldn't have a problem playing with them in regular 40k. Sadly they aren't considered official in many tournaments, but some tournaments do allow them.

musical-fool
01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys, that clears it up a lot for me! Now to cut my shopping list down to something(s) I can actually afford :(

Nabterayl
01-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I'll second Lerra's experienced that the rules Forge World produces for regular 40K are well balanced. The worst shocker I've had is the Lucius drop pod, which essentially grants an un-stoppable dreadnought assault, and even that is no worse than anything I've seen out of the recent codices. Some people have the idea that because Forge World produces premium models it must produce premium units too, but my experience has been that is not true.*

* Sometimes people wonder why, if FW stuff is so balanced, it doesn't appear in the base codex. In my experience, Forge World stuff falls into two categories. The first category is fluff-based units that aren't actually that great, but fit with the background. I'd include the chaplain dread and the Lucius and Deathstorm drop pods in this category - units that from a pure game design standpoint don't necessarily deserve to make it into a codex. The second category is units that expand a race that hasn't seen an update in a while, or has some glaring holes. I'd include the recent Khorne and Nurgle daemon engines, and the XV-9 Hazard battlesuit, in this category.

david5th
01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
As long as you have the rules, and you've asked your opponent if its ok to use FW, you can use as much as you want!

-Lin

I could not have put it better myself.

I use Forgeworld dreadnoughts in my Ultramarines army and as long as you discuss everything with your opponent before the game you should be fine.

DarkLink
01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I've never had any opponents complain about me using 35pt Rhinos with my Sisters of Battle via forgeworld rules, or Repressors on the occasion I use them. Tournaments don't always allow it, but that's a different matter anyways.

TSINI
01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
as with anything in 40k, opponents permission is key for anything other than the codex units.

some forgeworld models comply with the codex rules - these you don't need your opponents permission to use as long as your opponent is aware they abide by the codex rules.

any non flyer, and non superheavy unit is fine in normal 40k games, and even these units can spice up a small game if you're just in it for laughs.

My gaming group always lets me bust out the forgeworld units, my salamander scout, vulture gunship (in small games it reverts to a skimmer just like the valkyrie as per the IA Vol1 update) and my cyclops demo tank

as we play just for laughs, but if its tourney practice etc, its best to stick to the codex stuff as tourneys don't generally allow any forgeworld gear.

BuFFo
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I've never had any opponents complain about me using 35pt Rhinos with my Sisters of Battle via forgeworld rules, or Repressors on the occasion I use them. Tournaments don't always allow it, but that's a different matter anyways.

I am guilty of a bad thing.

When I learned that the cost of my WH rhinos dropped as per FWs update some time ago, I used the new point costs and I never told my opponents. I still don't.

Don't hit me. :o

DarkLink
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
I am guilty of a bad thing.

When I learned that the cost of my WH rhinos dropped as per FWs update some time ago, I used the new point costs and I never told my opponents. I still don't.

Don't hit me. :o

Hmmm, maybe thats why no one complains... um... :o

Seriously, though, I don't worry about it in casual games. For tournaments and stuff with special rules (like escalation leagues) I check.

Silver Drakes Legion
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Most opponents don't care just ask your opponent and try to explain the rules of the unit to them. I've definitely been guilty of using the new transports point cost for sisters myself and forgetting to mention it to my opponent...
I've found FW tends to make units just a little to many points so it will not seem broken compared to most codex units unless they're superheavies...

BuFFo
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Hmmm, maybe thats why no one complains... um... :o

Seriously, though, I don't worry about it in casual games. For tournaments and stuff with special rules (like escalation leagues) I check.

Oh, much agreed!

I must admit, when I post, I stupidly never spell out the 'whys' of my reasons...

When I play with people, if they say 'hey BuFFo (real name used in RL obviously) can I use this vehicle as a super death ray canon with such and such rules?', I never say no. For the decades of allowing my friends use the most absurd house rules in games, I don't feel 'too bad' about using 35 point Rhinos for my Sisters (at least when I did use them, as I sold the army a while ago) without telling them.

:cool: