PDA

View Full Version : Skyshield question

legalsmash
08-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi,

so my 7th ed minibook doesn't specify on this, only tells me to check out stronghold assault.

Is a skyshield a building for purposes of building damage? If so, am I able to attack the building itself, and if so, would the models still get an invul save if I destroyed said skyshield?

Thanks!

40kGamer
08-21-2014, 02:32 PM
The last I remember the skyshield is considered "other", so not a building. This leads to some odd rules conundrums. :)

hyudun
08-21-2014, 04:15 PM
The last I remember the skyshield is considered "other", so not a building. This leads to some odd rules conundrums. :)

It literally says "Unusual" (whereas other actual buildings like the bastion say "Building") in terrain type in Stronghold Assault. I don't see a way to resolve a shooting attack against it without AV, Hull Points, etc.

40kGamer
08-21-2014, 06:46 PM
It literally says "Unusual" (whereas other actual buildings like the bastion say "Building") in terrain type in Stronghold Assault. I don't see a way to resolve a shooting attack against it without AV, Hull Points, etc.

Thanks for grabbing the actual lingo, I can never remember these things when I don't have the book handy! :) The Skyshield is one weird terrain feature.

John Bower
08-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Thanks for grabbing the actual lingo, I can never remember these things when I don't have the book handy! :) The Skyshield is one weird terrain feature.

Interestingly when it was released alongside Planetstrike a few years back it was AV10 all round and could be flattened. Somehow since then it got altered to just a 'terrain' piece with strange rules. It's 'open' for all intents and purposes so DS units and flyers etc. can land on it with no penalty for dangerous; but to get from the ground onto it you need to roll a difficult terrain test for normal infantry units if my memory serves. Weirdest bit of terrain going. Darned useful if you go first I guess; as on that turn your flyer can hover in the safety of that 4++ save while still able to shoot; then turn 2 it can start zooming around. Thus giving you one extra turn of killy firepower with your hovering flyer. Unfortunately of course flyers without the 'hover' rule can't even use it.

legalsmash
08-24-2014, 09:04 AM
I have a friend that regularly uses one, and I wanted to use my triple vindicators to make its invul save... less invul.

Lord Krungharr
08-25-2014, 05:46 PM
They really should've made the Skyshield terrain that could be destroyed like a building, but not a building (couldn't be 'embarked' upon). I'd give it 4 HPs to represent the 4 legs at AV13 with the 4++ in addition to models on top getting the shield save vs shooting. Then once the last HP is gone it's immediately a ruins with no invul save and no wall-mode changes (like anyone changes it anyway).