PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40K in Japan?

xbenblasterx
08-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Afternoon/Evening and maybe even morning Bols forum!

So i'm sure you'll all agree with me when I say that the majority of the audience behind this forum are either from Europe or America, but its a rare occasion we ever hear from the hobby in the land of the rising sun.

The

So I just wanted to know if there was anybody about here that had experienced 40k or any table top wargame in Japan or Asia as a whole, how popular is it?

GW have a Japanese section to their site so i'm sure there is a market, how come we never hear about it? Or am i just loosing in the wrong place?

Wolfshade
08-19-2014, 08:48 AM
GW have retail shops in Japan and China. As far as I am aware the China is a new thing, but in Japan it has been more established for a long time. Though it only accounts for 1.2% of sales (by revenue).

I believe we have a few Asian Bolsters.

Brakkart
08-19-2014, 09:15 AM
No idea if he is a member here on BoLS but I have Ryogo Yamani (I think that's his name anyway) page bookmarked as he has an awesome Imperial fists army that I like to look at for inspiration for my own force. He has a lot of other armies too, his page is in Japanese though, so I find having a second browser window open on google translate comes in handy!

http://page.freett.com/realmofrman/

Psychosplodge
08-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Does Katharon? or similar post from there? But I think that might be a US millitary poster. But they'll probably know about the shops and such like.

Katharon
08-19-2014, 10:02 AM
I live in Japan and play 40K all the time. There are several expat and Servicemen/women that play, but there is also a thriving Japanese community that plays. There is even a group of French guys that live north-west of Tokyo that make it out to events we hold. Fantasy Battles is a bit more popular than 40K amongst the majority of Japanese gamers.

xbenblasterx
08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
I live in Japan and play 40K all the time. There are several expat and Servicemen/women that play, but there is also a thriving Japanese community that plays. There is even a group of French guys that live north-west of Tokyo that make it out to events we hold. Fantasy Battles is a bit more popular than 40K amongst the majority of Japanese gamers.

Cheers man very interesting! Do you see much crossover between things like anime and mecha with 40k? Like in modelling styles

deadmanwade
08-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Depending on where you go, 40K and WFB are fairly popular here in Japan. There are several groups based at the various US military bases, plus local groups up and down the country. Tokyo has quite a large selection due to it's size and being home to a lot of foreign workers (and the only official GW stores). There are groups in Hiroshima (they mainly play PP games), Kyushu, Okinawa and I am a member of the group in Nagoya. Wargaming in general is nowhere near the popularity it is in the states or Europe, but if you look around for it, you should be able to find a group easily enough. Anime themed armies aren't as big a thing as you might expect, but Tau seem pretty popular. One of the players I know in Osaka has a marine army based on Hello Kitty.

desert_hack
08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Anyone know of any 40k gamers in Niigata?

daboarder
08-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Morticon over on the BnC lived in Japan for a while, I think he's in south africa now though

Katharon
08-19-2014, 11:43 PM
Cheers man very interesting! Do you see much crossover between things like anime and mecha with 40k? Like in modelling styles

....no.

daboarder
08-19-2014, 11:45 PM
except tau?

Arkhan Land
08-20-2014, 12:38 AM
what about the space elf gundamns?

Katharon
08-20-2014, 06:54 AM
except tau?

Tau failed to gain any popularity in Japan. Tau Empire was released at the same time that GW opened up several of their stores in Japan (Osaka, Tokyo, Nagoya, Yokohama). However, because it was such an obvious play to gain the same shine as Gundam and other beloved anime/manga series, most Japanese gamers rejected it outright. Pandering is pandering, whether it's wrapped in XV8 armor or not. So all the major stores went under, with only two small ones left in Tokyo. The Tau Empire that was suppose to sell big in Japan, instead ended up selling better in the US.

deadmanwade
08-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Tau failed to gain any popularity in Japan..
I don't know about that, I've met a few Japanese Tau players in my time here. One of the members of my local group bought a FW Manta among other expensive toys. :D
GW did shoot itself in the foot by opening all of it's stores in the same place. Gamers are usually willing to travel a bit for games, so I don't know why they figured they needed all their stores in/around Tokyo. We never had one in Nagoya, though Osaka had a pretty good (now, very small) FLGS.

Ellahrairah
08-21-2014, 07:24 AM
When I moved to Japan (permanently), I dumped my 40k and FB stuff before I moved. Now, the itch is returning... What is the community like in Tokyo? Any websites to link? and I used to do commission work back in the US... Is there any market for that in Tokyo at all?

Robert Schofield
08-21-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm from OZ (so kinda Asia) and we have quite a strong base here with a good mix of players from both 40k and fantasy. The only issue being the 'Australia Tax' which is basically a company adding ridiculous mark ups on products here.

I was planning a longer rant post but thought I'd leave it...

deadmanwade
08-21-2014, 10:47 PM
When I moved to Japan (permanently), I dumped my 40k and FB stuff before I moved. Now, the itch is returning... What is the community like in Tokyo? Any websites to link? and I used to do commission work back in the US... Is there any market for that in Tokyo at all?

I don't know about Tokyo, but there are a few groups there. http://westtokyowargamers.blogspot.jp/ is the only one I have had any contact with. I think they are mainly an historical gaming group, but at one of their members is the ex-manager of GW-Japan.
I also run a forum based in Nagoya, www.nagoyahammer.com We have small club events on every month and then one big 40K weekend in May.

Katharon
08-22-2014, 09:21 AM

There is also a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/kantogamers/

There are multiple groups represented, with the main meeting at Atsugi Base every weekend, barring horrible weather like typhoons.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they are mainly an historical gaming group, but at one of their members is the ex-manager of GW-Japan.

You're talking about James, right wade?

deadmanwade
08-23-2014, 04:39 AM
You're talking about James, right wade?
Giovanni was the guy I always spoke to when I called up the GW offices. There are probably a few ex-GW guys about.

xbenblasterx
08-23-2014, 08:32 AM
What are the prices like in Tokyo? For comparison UK prices for a Tactical Squad at GW £25

deadmanwade
08-23-2014, 10:29 AM
What are the prices like in Tokyo? For comparison UK prices for a Tactical Squad at GW £25

You do know you can just click the location tab at the top of the GW homepage right?

And to answer your question, extortionate.
The exchange rate is about 172 yen to the pound, so a tac squad should cost 4300 yen.
Actual price 5700 yen, or 33 pounds.

xbenblasterx
08-23-2014, 01:23 PM
You do know you can just click the location tab at the top of the GW homepage right?

And to answer your question, extortionate.
The exchange rate is about 172 yen to the pound, so a tac squad should cost 4300 yen.
Actual price 5700 yen, or 33 pounds.

Sir i did not think of this! I than ye', is there anywhere outside of the UK where GW products are cheaper?

Katharon
08-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Giovanni was the guy I always spoke to when I called up the GW offices. There are probably a few ex-GW guys about.

Ah, yeah, Giovanni was the guy they had sailing the sinking ship. James was the guy who started it from the beginning, couldn't get a good enough financial contract and then said "Sayonara" before moving onto other things.

Ellahrairah
08-25-2014, 07:08 AM
[QUOTE=Katharon;445359]There is also a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/kantogamers/

There are multiple groups represented, with the main meeting at Atsugi Base every weekend, barring horrible weather like typhoons.

- - - Updated - - -

That is awesome and very convenient. Only a 10 minute train ride...

Much appreciated

Wolfshade
08-26-2014, 01:52 AM
Sir i did not think of this! I than ye', is there anywhere outside of the UK where GW products are cheaper?

Depends what you mean by "cheaper". If you compare it with average earnings of the host country then yes. If you mean in a direct conversion to £, then no.