PDA

View Full Version : What Lord Of Wars units can Militarum Tempestus use?

Anarchyman99
08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
What Lord Of Wars units can Militarum Tempestus use, and where can I find a list of what book/faq is the info in?
Thanks for your help, I tried searching the forum but it was not very fruitful.

Theik
08-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Baneblade, Banehammer, Banesword, Doomhammer, Hellhammer, Shadowsword, Stormlord, Stormsword from Escalation.
Also Imperial Knight from the Imperial Knight codex / some white dwarf article.

Anarchyman99
08-18-2014, 06:00 PM
What about both imperial super heavy flyers the Marauders?

Houghten
08-18-2014, 06:06 PM
The answer is either "none" or "any of them."

Militarum Tempestus don't have any Troops units, so they can't fit themselves into a Combined Arms Detachment with a Lord of War slot.

Meanwhile, there's no Lord of War slot in their own detachment.

Therefore, the only way to take a super-heavy vehicle in a Militarum Tempestus army is outside the Militarum Tempestus' own detachment - by allying in a Combined Arms Detachment of Guard or Marines, by allying in an Imperial Knight Detachment, or by going Unbound.

Anarchyman99
08-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Militarum Tempestus don't have any Troops units, so they can't fit themselves into a Combined Arms Detachment with a Lord of War slot.

How do they not have Troop Units?

Charistoph
08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
How do they not have Troop Units?

Just like Codex: Inquisition, Imperial Knights, and Legion of the Damned, they literally have no Troops (or HQ for the Knighst) as part of their setting, but instead have their own way of being fielded. These min-dexes are not meant to be a full army on their own, but powerful Detachments to be added on to full codices on their own, so the standard Detachments just won't work for them.

John Bower
08-19-2014, 02:18 AM
I thought they were 'troops' in their own codex.... Elites in the IG book but troops if you take them from the MT book.

Theik
08-19-2014, 04:30 AM
I thought they were 'troops' in their own codex.... Elites in the IG book but troops if you take them from the MT book.

What troop type you are is completely irrelevant for codexes that can't form a combined arms detachment, because you will never be superscoring anyways.

TB0N3
08-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Why can't it form a Combined Arms detachment?
They have HQs and Troops, that's all you need. (Also FA and DT).

For a Lord of War -fluffwise-, I would suggest a Marauder Destroyer, keeping the skies clear while the boys do their job.

Theik
08-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Why can't it form a Combined Arms detachment?
They have HQs and Troops, that's all you need. (Also FA and DT).

For a Lord of War -fluffwise-, I would suggest a Marauder Destroyer, keeping the skies clear while the boys do their job.

The first page of rules mentions how the individual units and formations work. Formations are their own detachment, the individual units can be used as "part of a Militarum Tempestus" detachment. While it doesn't actually mention what that is, it doesn't sound like it is an actual combined arms detachment.

Of course, this info could be completely out of date, but the new FAQs do not mention this problem either. In fact it suggests you remove all mentions of "primary detachment".

khambatta
08-19-2014, 09:48 AM
The first page of rules mentions how the individual units and formations work. Formations are their own detachment, the individual units can be used as "part of a Militarum Tempestus" detachment. While it doesn't actually mention what that is, it doesn't sound like it is an actual combined arms detachment.

The rules about Formations are for the Formations. The Militarum Tempestus don't have their own FOC, or special detachment type; you can field them like any other army.

To get back on topic: all Imperial forces have access to the Cerastus Knight-Lancer. All the others have the Marauders as well, so I reckon you should be able to take those.

David Crossley
08-19-2014, 09:54 AM
They can form a combined arms detachment, the updated iCodex makes that very clear, the problem is that they are Faction: Militarum Tempestus, which excludes them from taking Astra Militarum LoW in their CA detachment, or indeed any, as there's no F:MT LoW anywhere. So rules as written the answer is 'none'.

However you could try and argue that the FW update, while not specifically name checking them, does include a section titled 'Forces of the Imperium' and given that MT fall under the purview of 'Armies of the Imperium' (in a later publication, ie the 7th Rulebook, which in theory takes precedence) that this therefore allows you to field Reaver and Warhound titans as a LoW choice in the MT combined arms detachment. You'll probably require some goodwill on behalf of your opponent for that one though.

With all that said, there's always unbound to fall back upon if need be.

Edit: or maybe someone will helpfully point out things like the Knight-Lancer which can be used by all the armies of the Imperium :)

John Bower
08-21-2014, 02:15 AM

Of course, this info could be completely out of date, but the new FAQs do not mention this problem either. In fact it suggests you remove all mentions of "primary detachment".

Still as long as you have HQ and Troop choices you can 'always' form a CAD; optional formations in the Codex are just that; optional, every army has the option to form a Combined arms or allied detachment as long as it can field troops. Even Legion of the Damned now has troops; the only reason they can't field alone was the limitation on reserves; which unfortunately for them is still an issue as reserves arrive on turn 2. So you're telling me Orks then can't do a CAD because they have their own formations/detachments in their codex? Sorry but that's just nonsense.