PDA

View Full Version : How many Knights ?

thebeardedfatman
08-12-2014, 12:08 AM
I have a battle-forged SM army with a SM detachment as my primary and want to include Imperial Knights.
Can they be taken as part of the primary detachment or should they be in an allied detachment ?
What is the minimum amount in either case ?
Thanks

Caitsidhe
08-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Knights are an Allied Detachment I believe and the minimum is (1) Knight.

thebeardedfatman
08-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Hi.
In the rulebook it states that allied detachments ae a minimum of 1 x hq and 1 x troops , but in the Knight codex it says that when taken as an allied detachment it is a minimum of 1 x hq and 2 x troops.
Does the rulebook take precedence ?

JMichael
08-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Imperial Knight codex p60.

You can take 1 Imperial Knight Detachment per Primary Detachment and can have 1-3 Knights in each.
So your FOC could be:
Primary Detachment
Allied Detachment
Fortification
Imperial Knight Detachment

So you can have have your SM, then some Eldar allies and also an Imperial Knight detachment. All in a Battle-Forged army.

Wolfshade
08-12-2014, 01:30 AM
Does the rulebook take precedence ?

No, codex over rule book. There is rule in the rulebook to that effect.

sebi81
08-12-2014, 03:09 AM
In a battleforged army you can still have as many detachments as you want (as long as you´re not in a tournament where other rules can be given). This can be combined arms detachments, allied detachments or any detachments from a codex.
If you have one combined arms detachment using codex Space Marines as your primary, you could have one or more other combined arms detachments, allied detachments or codex detachments like the knight detachment. You´re not longer restricted to one primary and one allied.
The Knight detachment is covered in the Knights codex.
For your army you only need one Knight which forms his own Knight detachment and the army is still battleforged. In a Knight detachment there are no restrictions for HQ or Troops. Just 1-3 Knights.

thebeardedfatman
08-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Thanks to everyone ....I have managed to get my head around it .

Charistoph
08-12-2014, 09:32 AM
In a battleforged army you can still have as many detachments as you want (as long as you´re not in a tournament where other rules can be given). This can be combined arms detachments, allied detachments or any detachments from a codex.
If you have one combined arms detachment using codex Space Marines as your primary, you could have one or more other combined arms detachments, allied detachments or codex detachments like the knight detachment. You´re not longer restricted to one primary and one allied.
The Knight detachment is covered in the Knights codex.
For your army you only need one Knight which forms his own Knight detachment and the army is still battleforged. In a Knight detachment there are no restrictions for HQ or Troops. Just 1-3 Knights.

Pretty much this. Just add the fact that Knights are not Lords of War and so cannot be part of a Primary Detachment with Codex: Space Marines.