PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ward departed GW in May of 2014

Defenestratus
08-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Apparently from the comments on the frontpage, people didn't know. His linkedin profile indicates that he and GW parted ways in May of 2014.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=295203299&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=MP-b&locale=en_US&srchid=1400185011407776925055&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1400185011407776925055%2CVS RPtargetId%3A295203299%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

Experience

Games WorkshopAssistant Games Developer/Games Developer/Senior Games Developer/Citadel Writer
Games Workshop
August 2002 – May 2014 (11 years 10 months)Nottingham

Caitsidhe
08-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Apparently from the comments on the frontpage, people didn't know. His linkedin profile indicates that he and GW parted ways in May of 2014.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=295203299&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=MP-b&locale=en_US&srchid=1400185011407776925055&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1400185011407776925055%2CVS RPtargetId%3A295203299%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

I am curiuous to know who of the old guard is actually left.

Agramar
08-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Seven hells!!!O_o
Who's now defiling the codex and background??

Ghostofman
08-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Seven hells!!!O_o
Who's now defiling the codex and background??

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NTFMxHh9yAE/TSt0YrL9xFI/AAAAAAAACKY/rng1RWRKzsY/s400/monkeys-and-typewriters.jpg

Dalleron
08-11-2014, 01:14 PM
The above post is why we need a like button here. Just saying

Agramar
08-11-2014, 01:41 PM
The above post is why we need a like button here. Just saying
Agree

sparti67
08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Actually these guys would be an upgrade

Defenestratus
08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
I honestly don't get all the vitriol the man receives. In the grand scheme of things, he wrote stories and rules for a make believe universe. Equating his work with that of baboons I feel is cruel and unwarranted.

Agramar
08-11-2014, 02:17 PM
I honestly don't get all the vitriol the man receives. In the grand scheme of things, he wrote stories and rules for a make believe universe. Equating his work with that of baboons I feel is cruel and unwarranted.
In own my opinion, in that grand scheme of things he was one of the most important responsables and ideologist of this "new W40K".Priestley said once that the Studio is now a kind of subsidiary office of Marketing department.True.And Matt Ward was more part of Maketing than Studio.He gets that vitriol on his own.

MarneusCalgar
08-11-2014, 02:22 PM
In the sculpting area things are also the same: old guard is all gone.

Juan Diaz, Perry Bros, and so more. The ones who stay now all desing not by greens or physical sculpting, but with Z-Brush and a pc.

Thatīs why we all see models with the same pose (pointing at and feet over a rock)

skeletoro
08-11-2014, 02:29 PM

To Ward or Baboons?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Actually, I don't feel particularly strongly about Mat Ward. The vitriol is just the internet's tendency to amplify everything and turn it into an uber-meme ;)

Funny that 'meme' has become such a pervasive meme itself. I remember reading about it in the Selfish Gene (where the term came from) and thinking it was a nifty concept.

Andrew Thomas
08-11-2014, 02:49 PM
So, two questions:

When is the Cyberbullying case to begin?
And will I need to wear a suit?

daboarder
08-11-2014, 03:08 PM
a much as draigo is a shame (who could have been way better) Robin Hack Cruddace, is the author I'd dance a mery jig at seeing go

Caitsidhe
08-11-2014, 03:27 PM
While I don't care much for any of their work to be honest, I understand that it is more an issue of company policy than their failing. They aren't required to test, work with the other books, or have any kind of real guidelines. In such an idiotic framework, it isn't surprising that their books are not balanced, wildly inconsistent, and don't even really work well within the books themselves. As far as I can tell there is no true editorial staff, nor is there anything remotely approaching quality control. Thus, while I have loathed many of the same books as the rest of you, I don't hold the authors in total contempt so much as the atmosphere and management that marshalled them. Hell, I'd half expect Ward left because he is sick of getting so much of the blame when we don't really know what goes on behind closed doors.

tcraigen
08-11-2014, 03:39 PM
It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

Deadlift
08-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Couldn't agree more. I enjoyed his codex work for the most part. Necrons being the highlight for me personally.

NastoCat
08-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Could someone screen cap this for those of us with out an account!

White Tiger88
08-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Couldn't agree more. I enjoyed his codex work for the most part. Necrons being the highlight for me personally.

Evil Metal monsters..............Who are now Egyptian Metal monsters o.O

daboarder
08-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Evil Metal monsters..............Who are now Misunderstood Egyptian Metal monsters o.O

Fixed it for you

eldargal
08-12-2014, 05:27 AM

How do you define old guard though? pre-going public 1991? Pre-LOTR? Pre-2005/6 crash? Matt Ward joined the company years after I started playing the game so he isn't Old Guard to me, Jervis Johnson and Jes Goodwin are. Companies change or they die, there are plenty of skilled writers and sculptors out there and GW has the money to attract them. This is sad, I liked Ward and didn't think he deserved the hate he got but this is not some kind of seismic shift for GW.

Also don't get me started on that Necrons are Egyptian crap again please, they are not.

Psychosplodge
08-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Andy chambers, Paul "Fat Bloke" Sawyer, Jes goodwin, they were the faces I remember regularly seeing in WD back when I started. and Diaz and the perry brothers whenever they were talking about sculpting and new models...

eldargal
08-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Yup and they have been gone for ages. Perry twins were mostly working on LOTR with the very rare bit of Empire and VC (which were some of my favourite models by the way) so it isn't like they are leaving a gaping wound in GWs sculpting team, especially with all the new talent they have picked up in the last 18 months.

Fedral
08-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Matt Ward left his position at GW and decided to dig a larger canyon than the Grand Canyon in Manchester England. After that, he will be heading to the Ukraine where he will single-handedly defeat the entire Russian Army with a letter opener and a damp sponge. Following that, he will be heading to the Middle East where he will ***** slap all the participants in the conflict until they declare peace. Then, he will travel to Heaven where he will knock out God with one punch and then make a pair of cufflinks out of His molars... And that would STILL be more believable than the fluff in the GK Codex.

Psychosplodge
08-14-2014, 01:37 AM
Matt Ward left his position at GW and decided to dig a larger canyon than the Grand Canyon in Manchester England. After that, he will be heading to the Ukraine where he will single-handedly defeat the entire Russian Army with a letter opener and a damp sponge. Following that, he will be heading to the Middle East where he will ***** slap all the participants in the conflict until they declare peace. Then, he will travel to Heaven where he will knock out God with one punch and then make a pair of cufflinks out of His molars... And that would STILL be more believable than the fluff in the GK Codex.

lols

Pssyche
08-14-2014, 02:21 AM
Matt Ward left his position at GW and decided to dig a larger canyon than the Grand Canyon in Manchester England. .

Nothing to report as of yet...

Psychosplodge
08-14-2014, 02:44 AM
but has he started?

daboarder
08-14-2014, 02:48 AM
but has he started?

Apparently one of the reasons he "choose" to leave GW was because he was tired of them changing their canon.....

...so sure, why not

Mr Mystery
08-14-2014, 04:13 AM
Apparently one of the reasons he "choose" to leave GW was because he was tired of them changing their canon.....

...so sure, why not

Sauce?

daboarder
08-14-2014, 04:13 AM
Linkd'in I think it was

Wildeybeast
08-14-2014, 04:42 AM
How do you define old guard though? pre-going public 1991? Pre-LOTR? Pre-2005/6 crash? Matt Ward joined the company years after I started playing the game so he isn't Old Guard to me, Jervis Johnson and Jes Goodwin are. Companies change or they die, there are plenty of skilled writers and sculptors out there and GW has the money to attract them. This is sad, I liked Ward and didn't think he deserved the hate he got but this is not some kind of seismic shift for GW.

Also don't get me started on that Necrons are Egyptian crap again please, they are not.

John Blanche is one of the founding fathers and biggest influences and he's still there. Jeremy Vetock has been around since the 90's as well. I'd say there is still a good chunk of the 'old guard' there.

daboarder
08-14-2014, 04:57 AM
I love Blanche

Psychosplodge
08-14-2014, 04:58 AM
IDK why but Vetock just annoys me.

Mr Mystery
08-14-2014, 05:00 AM
John Blanche is one of the founding fathers and biggest influences and he's still there. Jeremy Vetock has been around since the 90's as well. I'd say there is still a good chunk of the 'old guard' there.

Indeedy.

40k has been going for decades. GW for longer - this happens in companies. Why people keep trying to claim it's a sign of GW going into meltdown I don't know.

eldargal
08-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Like I said it depends how you define old guard but yes Blanche is definitely in there. I think I remember Vetock joining so he isn't.:p That's the point I was trying to make that for someone who starts playing now the Old Guard will be whoever is working now. For someone who started ten years ago Ward might be. The fact is a company that can't change staff, even founding staff, will die. GW has shown it can.

Defenestratus
08-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Indeedy.

40k has been going for decades. GW for longer - this happens in companies. Why people keep trying to claim it's a sign of GW going into meltdown I don't know.

I don't think anyone made that leap. I think Caitsdhe said "I wonder how much of the old guard are left".

You are in fact correct, turnover is part of any company. When it comes to liquidation thats another story. I don't think anyone has indicated that GWs bloodletting has reached the design and game development studio.

Yet.

40kGamer
08-14-2014, 08:29 AM
How do you define old guard though? pre-going public 1991?

As an old timer I only consider anyone who was there pre-public as the old guard. From there to the 2005-06 crash would be middle guard and from there to current the young guard. From this logical procession very soon the place will be run by raw cadets! :D

Gotthammer
08-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Old guard:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Gotthammer/gw1_zpsefc6a30b.jpg

Anyone else is a n00b :p

Arkhan Land
08-14-2014, 08:43 AM
The original 40k team fantasized about things like handheld computational devices used in their expanding future universe.
The current 40k team uses handheld computational devices to make said universe defined in greater archival resolution.

Omissah save us!

40kGamer
08-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Old guard:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Gotthammer/gw1_zpsefc6a30b.jpg

Anyone else is a n00b :p

Love it! I'd forgotten about that picture... :)

Denzark
08-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Good shout Gotty...

Lord-Boofhead
08-14-2014, 03:33 PM

Stillman, Priestly and Jervis.

And John Blanche, not sure about Wayne England. He may still freelance but he does stuff for other companies too now.

40kGamer
08-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Stillman, Priestly and Jervis.

And John Blanche, not sure about Wayne England. He may still freelance but he does stuff for other companies too now.

Priestly exited stage left over a year ago. :cool:

Denzark
08-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Wayne England was 'just' an artist, he has hardly had as much influence as the designers/sculpters.

Pssyche
08-14-2014, 08:57 PM
but has he started?

Quite possibly...

Psychosplodge
08-15-2014, 01:43 AM
Quite possibly...

gd gd that should keep him away from anything else I like.

Wildeybeast
08-15-2014, 03:02 AM
Like I said it depends how you define old guard but yes Blanche is definitely in there. I think I remember Vetock joining so he isn't.:p That's the point I was trying to make that for someone who starts playing now the Old Guard will be whoever is working now. For someone who started ten years ago Ward might be. The fact is a company that can't change staff, even founding staff, will die. GW has shown it can.

I agree entirely. Personally I'd say Vetock has been there long enough to be old guard, I think 30 odd years of service deserves that accolade.

conscriptboris
08-18-2014, 02:34 PM
I started collecting and playing blood angels mid way through 2nd ed. He single handedly killed off blood angels with his codex.

Also, once releasing the codex, he didn't bother to give decent faqs post new edition release and allowed the very few good points to be nerf'd.

The guy didn't take to Sci fi, and was mis-appropriately employed.

Good riddance!

Elvis

Mr Mystery
08-19-2014, 04:40 AM
I started collecting and playing blood angels mid way through 2nd ed. He single handedly killed off blood angels with his codex.

Also, once releasing the codex, he didn't bother to give decent faqs post new edition release and allowed the very few good points to be nerf'd.

The guy didn't take to Sci fi, and was mis-appropriately employed.

Good riddance!

Elvis

Yes, damn him reeling in the ridiculous excesses of first turn charges that Gav gave Blood Angels!

Ferrum_Sanguinis
08-20-2014, 03:44 PM

...so sure, why not

If thats even remotely true then I want to punch this guy even more. What a vain, butthurt little prick.

Lexington
08-21-2014, 09:17 AM
If thats even remotely true then I want to punch this guy even more. What a vain, butthurt little prick.
To be fair, if that's true (and, let's remember, big "if" - rumor becomes fact in people's minds with unbelievable speed), it's entirely possible that he was given these lore changes and instructed to fluff them up.

Keep in mind that I say this as someone who's stated that Matt Ward is the worst thing to happen to England since the Black Death.