PDA

View Full Version : A request about rules queries.

Mr Mystery
08-07-2014, 12:51 PM
How do?

Sorry for this, and I'm well aware it's likely to add knob points to my reputation, but I have a genuine, heartfelt request for rules queries.....

Please please please provide quotes and page references with your query. Not only does it help to highlight any genuine oddities, but it literally gets everyone on the same page. This is particularly useful when looking at how two rules might interact.

That's it really :)

DWest
08-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Well, here's a bit of a complication- what do you use for a page reference with the ebooks?

Mr Mystery
08-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Dunno. Never really used e-books in my life!

Captain Bubonicus
08-07-2014, 02:22 PM
The e-books have page numbers, too - I think those numbers match up with the real print editions, because if you increase the magnification enough, you end up with decimals for the page number (182.5/190, for instance).

hyudun
08-07-2014, 02:45 PM
The e-books have page numbers, too - I think those numbers match up with the real print editions, because if you increase the magnification enough, you end up with decimals for the page number (182.5/190, for instance).

The .mobi format - used by my Kindle, for example - does NOT have page numbers because the text is just stored all together rather than on a page-by-page basis. Instead they have location numbers, which I think are based on word count, but not referencable by physical book users.

A more universal reference would be the chapter, section, and subsections you're talking about.

Mr Mystery
08-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Indeed. Important bit is to quote what the rules actually say.

At least half the time, rules debates seem to start from someone deciding what they want the rule to say, rather than what it actually does say :)

Captain Bubonicus
08-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Huh - that's funny, because I was actually commenting on the .Mobi copy of my Ork codex. In the upper left hand corner is something my reader program (I use Calibre) refers to as "position in book" - in the Ork codex, it goes to 290.

...Are there 290 pages in the print copy of the Ork codex? Anybody got a copy handy?

Mr Mystery
08-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Nope, nowhere near that many!

hyudun
08-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Huh - that's funny, because I was actually commenting on the .Mobi copy of my Ork codex. In the upper left hand corner is something my reader program (I use Calibre) refers to as "position in book" - in the Ork codex, it goes to 290.

...Are there 290 pages in the print copy of the Ork codex? Anybody got a copy handy?

Try changing your font size. Does it change your page count?

May just be that the Kindle doesn't display the page number, but it is indeed stored in the file and displayed on other devices.

Wolfshade
08-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately the different readers and font size paginate books differently so page numbers are effectively useless when using an electronic copies. Indeed, even things like the Harvard referencing system (and others) acknowledge this so they do not include page numbers.

I do agree a BRB page number is useful however.

This Dave
08-08-2014, 08:38 AM
The iBooks version complicates this for main rulebook questions as well. It does have page numbers but as it has combined all three books into one giant book things can get wonky. The first page of rules is numbered over 300 for example (at work and can't look precisely at the thing).

Charistoph
08-08-2014, 10:14 AM
The iBooks version complicates this for main rulebook questions as well. It does have page numbers but as it has combined all three books into one giant book things can get wonky. The first page of rules is numbered over 300 for example (at work and can't look precisely at the thing).

And 259 on the .epub version on my Droid MAXX.

It still wouldn't matter, I've referenced pages numbers, chapter headings, etc, in debating a rule, and people still will not bother looking them up properly. Usually because that would ruin their paradigm. And we CAN'T have THAT, now can we?