PDA

View Full Version : Greyscale Inquisitor and Retinue

odinsgrandson
08-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Here is a project I got to do recently. This is an ordo Xenos inquisitor along with his retinue. The idea for the greyscale and green color scheme was my client's, and I really think it works nicely on these sculpts.

So that you all know, the inquisitor is a conversion using a few non-GW parts and some dark eldar bits. The other mini you might not recognize is a Necromunda Spyrer Hunter (Malchadon).

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/warhammer/ordoxenos3.jpg

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/warhammer/ordoxenos4.jpg

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/warhammer/ordoxenos2.jpg

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/warhammer/ordoxenos1.jpg

eldargal
08-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Nifty conversions and paintscheme.:)

Darren Richardson
08-07-2014, 05:00 PM
oh I like them, that old Necro figure is very nicely converted, without looking at an original I can't tell what's been done, and that shows it's good.

odinsgrandson
08-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Nifty conversions and paintscheme.:)

The first mini- the inquisitor himself- is the only conversion here. He is made from several plastic kits- dark eldar parts and some non-GW parts (I don't remember off hand who the manufacturer is).

The second mini is a Malchadon- he's a completely unmodified Spyrer Hunter from Necromunda.

Wolfshade
08-08-2014, 08:37 AM
I think these are absolutely fabulous.

andreas pedersen
08-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Amazing! Really love the dark feeling about those guys.

odinsgrandson
08-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Thank you.

They did end up pretty dark overall, and I think that worked well for them thematically.

Darren Richardson
08-11-2014, 10:11 AM
The second mini is a Malchadon- he's a completely unmodified Spyrer Hunter from Necromunda.

huh? he wasn't converted?

Damn I thought he was, as he looks SOOOOO much better then the original ones looked like, I guess that really is a testement to your painting skills that you can make an old tired mini and make him stand out amazingly like that!

odinsgrandson
08-12-2014, 07:53 AM

Damn I thought he was, as he looks SOOOOO much better then the original ones looked like, I guess that really is a testement to your painting skills that you can make an old tired mini and make him stand out amazingly like that!

No- he was completely unmodified. Thank you.

While this guy was part of a commission, I also have a habit of finding old (often bad) minis and trying to pull them off.

My wife says I need to find a Nagash sometime.

Darren Richardson
08-12-2014, 05:11 PM
My wife says I need to find a Nagash sometime.

Ohhhh, yes do find one of him, his dress was soooo bad, I've yet to see a decent attempt at making him look like he's one of the nastiest b'astards in the Warhammer world instead of a skeleton in drag :D

odinsgrandson
08-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Ohhhh, yes do find one of him, his dress was soooo bad, I've yet to see a decent attempt at making him look like he's one of the nastiest b'astards in the Warhammer world instead of a skeleton in drag :D

Yeah, I know, he's like the ultimate challenge.

The new version has been leaked, and I think he's got a sort of '80 heavy metal album cover thing going. The pics weren't great, but they definitely went with an entirely different look (a good choice).

I'm honestly surprised they had the chutzpah to re-make him rather than try to keep from ever mentioning his name again (the way of the Squats, as it were).

GrauGeist
09-07-2014, 01:43 AM

I own multiple Necromunda Malcadon Spyrers, and that model is stock aside from some very clean prep. It's a testament to how excellently well-sculpted the original models were that they continue to look great decades later. Granted that the painting is top notch, but he's working with truly excellent models at the source. The WH Crusader is similarly excellent, and is largely guaranteed to paint up nicely.

odinsgrandson
09-08-2014, 08:28 AM
I own multiple Necromunda Malcadon Spyrers, and that model is stock aside from some very clean prep. It's a testament to how excellently well-sculpted the original models were that they continue to look great decades later. Granted that the painting is top notch, but he's working with truly excellent models at the source. The WH Crusader is similarly excellent, and is largely guaranteed to paint up nicely.

That's true.

The biggest issues with using older minis is the scale and style changes (by style, I mean things like how the older minis used to have much larger hands than they currently do).

But some of those older minis weren't sculpted poorly. Some were pretty bad, but most of Necromunda was done pretty decently (ok, no one really liked the Goliaths all that much, but the Van Saars, Deloques and Eschers were terrific).

Now, the painting back then was all done in bright primary colors, with a little orange worked into every mini, and that hurts a lot of our perception of them. Also, there is a big leap in Citadel's sculpting between the early Rogue Trader era and the mid 2nd ed 40k era that Necromunda fall into.

(The hands were shrunk starting in the 3rd ed).