View Full Version : Are Formations a detachment?

Lord Krungharr
08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Do all the Formations floating around (like the Knight Adamantine Lance one for example) say that they count as a detachment that can be part of a Battle Forged army?

I ask because I saw that big black half page section in the BRB saying that 'unlike other detachments, Formations can be taken as part of an Unbound army and maintain their Formation special rules'.

However I don't see Formations as part of the CAD or Allied BattleForged FOC diagrams.

Charistoph
08-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Do all the Formations floating around (like the Knight Adamantine Lance one for example) say that they count as a detachment that can be part of a Battle Forged army?

Yes. Especially as evidenced by:

I ask because I saw that big black half page section in the BRB saying that 'unlike other detachments, Formations can be taken as part of an Unbound army and maintain their Formation special rules'.

So, it is referencing Formations as a type of Detachment.

However I don't see Formations as part of the CAD or Allied BattleForged FOC diagrams.

Because they are their own type of Detachment and their FOC is very strict and completely dependent on the Formation in question. The Combined Arms and Allied Detachments are general type of Detachments that almost everyone has access to. Formations, on the other hand, are dedicated to a specific group of units in a specific Detachment.

Slacker
08-04-2014, 11:39 AM
For specific clarification. p121 BRB there is a box for formations. from the first line:

"Formations are a special type of Detachment..."

YorkNecromancer
08-04-2014, 04:20 PM
I've not got 7th ed yet. Can anyone tell me, do the Apocalypse Formations count as Formations or as Lords of War? Or has there been no clarification as yet?

George Labour
08-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Apocalypse formations are for Apocalypse, and new new Apocalypse formations will carry a specific stamp stating that they are for that level of rules.

Other formations from 'regular' 40k supplements with formations are more or less for standard games of 40k but are still useable in Apocalypse.

It may also help to remember that detachments have replaced the old FOC we've been using for a few editions now. Instead the old FOC is now the combined arms, and allies detachments which are no more important than formations now. The only real difference is that formations can be taken in an unbound list while charts listed as detachments can ONLY be used in battleforged lists.

Incidentally they're already adding new detachment types to the game with the Ork and Space Wolf codex containing one each, and the Red WAAAGH book containing some for planetstrike games. Hopefully we'll see more come down the pipe soon.

Culial
08-05-2014, 04:16 AM
So if Formations ARE in fact detachments, are Dataslates Formations?

Charon
08-05-2014, 05:11 AM
Only if the Dataslate says so.

Example Be'lakor:

Be’lakor is an Army List Entry that can be selected as an HQ choice in a detachment chosen from either Codex: Chaos Daemons or Codex: Chaos Space Marines.

Example Reclusiam Command Squad:

A Reclusiam Command Squad is a Formation that consists of the following units chosen from Codex: Space Marines:

Hunter245
08-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Not to Hijack this thread but my question relates. In the Sanctus Reach, Grukk's Rippin Crew Formation includes a HQ, Elite, Troop, and Heavy Support. If I'm playing Battle-forged, does the formation contribute to the mandatory 1 HQ, 2 Troops in a CAD?

George Labour
08-05-2014, 09:13 AM
No unit from one detachment can be a member of another detachment. However you can have a formation made up of other smaller formations as evidence by the storm claw box set provided the formation says that it contains such things.

So no, they're not part of a Combined Arms Detachment because you decided to take them as a formation.