PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Psykers auto get Primaris?

JMichael
08-01-2014, 01:05 PM
I am not a Tyranid player and am just prepping to face them.
Since all of the Tyranid Psykers take their powers from the same list, does that mean that they will also always get the Primaris?
How about Zoanthropes who have a specific power and then also can take an additional one. Would they then have 3 (Warp Blast, Primaris, other)?

Tynskel
08-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Yes. You gain the primaris power of a discipline if you select all of your powers from the same discipline.

Zoanthropes get 2 powers—they come with Warp Blast. They get another. And then, for picking all of their powers from the Tyranid Discipline, they gain Primaris.

This is actually why there was an addendum to the Tyranid Codex stating that the primaris power will grant 6" synapse to creatures without synapse. Why? Because units, like the Broodlord, automatically get the primaris power along with codex listed power.

JMichael
08-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Thank you. I guess the Zoanthropes need it since a unit of them can only cast Warp Blast once/turn (thank goodness!).

The Tisroc
08-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you. I guess the Zoanthropes need it since a unit of them can only cast Warp Blast once/turn (thank goodness!). What? No. A unit of Zoeys can explicitly Warp Blast as many times as there are Zoeys in the unit.

JMichael
08-01-2014, 02:18 PM
What? No. A unit of Zoeys can explicitly Warp Blast as many times as there are Zoeys in the unit.

Well poop! They should really have asked my permission to include that exception in the codex!

The Tisroc
08-01-2014, 02:19 PM
:)

JMichael
08-01-2014, 02:23 PM
What? No. A unit of Zoeys can explicitly Warp Blast as many times as there are Zoeys in the unit.

And does it then only use 1 Warp Charge even if there are 3 models in the unit (thus making Warp Blast an Assault 3)?

The Tisroc
08-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Yes. That is about the only advantage of taking a unit of three instead of just one.

- - - Updated - - -

Psychic Brood (page 45): A Zoanthrope brood follows all the rules ofr Brotherhood of Psychers except that the unit has a Mastery Level of 2. In addition, if a brood of Zoanthropes uses the Warp Blast power (pg 69), the number of shots fired is equal to the number of Zoanthropes in that brood."

daboarder
08-01-2014, 02:51 PM
2 warpcharges...but yes its 2 warpcharges regardless of the number of zoanthropes

JMichael
08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
2 warpcharges...but yes its 2 warpcharges regardless of the number of zoanthropes

2, correct. Sorry, again I have not yet faced the new Tyranid codex. Plenty of experience fighting the old one, though.

jifel
08-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Warp Blast is interesting. It may only be cast once per brood and is WC two, but it gets a number of shots equal to models in the unit. So 3 zoeys cast once and then get 3 shots if passed. The above is correct on Primaris powers.