PDA

View Full Version : Working with GS

Duke
01-22-2010, 03:45 PM
So Im going to start to do a lot of GS work and I was wondering if anyone has any tips... Specifically, easy (Easier) ways to do casting and detail work and how to make the GS so smooth?

Every time I try to work with GS it looks rough and bumpy, Do people do most of the smoothing out when the GS is soft, or wait for it to harden and then file it down? Or a mixture of Both? Any tips/ tricks would be helpful.

I know there are "turorials," Out there, but I enjoy open discussion a lot more. Thanks again.

Duke

Okidus
01-22-2010, 04:11 PM
So Im going to start to do a lot of GS work and I was wondering if anyone has any tips... Specifically, easy (Easier) ways to do casting and detail work and how to make the GS so smooth?

Every time I try to work with GS it looks rough and bumpy, Do people do most of the smoothing out when the GS is soft, or wait for it to harden and then file it down? Or a mixture of Both? Any tips/ tricks would be helpful.

I know there are "turorials," Out there, but I enjoy open discussion a lot more. Thanks again.

Duke

I dont file it much myself, I usually use a good helping of vaseline both on my tools and fingers to keep prints and roughness down.

Lerra
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Lubricants help a lot, either vaseline or water. I've heard KY jelly works well too.

I like to use a 50/50 mix of greenstuff with fine grain milliput if I want the result to look smooth and don't care about the putty holding a nice point. You may also want to practice with easier sculpting materials if you're new to sculpting, too. I started out on Super Sculpy and it was a lot less frustrating. Green stuff is pretty unforgiving.

therealjohnny5
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
yeah without the lube, forget about it...i've been using water for simpler stuff...

travinius
01-23-2010, 12:22 AM
i often make use of simple hand lotion if no vaseline can be found, it too works fine for lubricating. also the spoon shaped end of the citadel sculpting tool has never let me down when it comes to smoothing surfaces. texture when it is still soft, or at least before it becomes too hard. hope this helps!

Herald of Nurgle
01-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Lubricants help a lot, either vaseline or water. I've heard KY jelly works well too.

I like to use a 50/50 mix of greenstuff with fine grain milliput if I want the result to look smooth and don't care about the putty holding a nice point. You may also want to practice with easier sculpting materials if you're new to sculpting, too. I started out on Super Sculpy and it was a lot less frustrating. Green stuff is pretty unforgiving.
You seriously want to be using a type of lubricant... when you're perhaps sculpting tacky tacky tentacles for your slaanesh/nurgle team up?

Duke
01-23-2010, 04:35 PM
So question regarding options of putty:

What is everyones thoughts about
- Milliput
grey or green?

- Squadron Green Putty?

- Green Stuff from GW

ColCorbane
01-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I've only just got into sculpting, but I find that spit works as a great lubricant, just lick the bit you're working on and then crack on. Water tends to just run off and vaseline if a nightmare to clean off afterwards.

To get a smooth finish, I use rubber clay shapers, they give a smooth finish everytime.

Duke
01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
What a classy bunch we are... Ky jelly and spit? Lol

ColCorbane
01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Must admit, had to reword my answer a few times, and even now, it's still a bit of a giggle.

BDub
01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
So question regarding options of putty:

What is everyones thoughts about
- Milliput
grey or green?

- Squadron Green Putty?

- Green Stuff from GW

Don't leave out Apoxy Sculpt. It has a much better working consistency then GS. And its cheaper to buy in larger quantities as well.

Stay away from Squadron putty. Even for filling holes. It has way to much shrinkage and can be crumble with the wrong humidity levels.

Keaditite also comes in a brown not just green that dries much harder and can make thinner hard surfaces easier, but I would always just use card and sculpt on top of that.

Lamenter
01-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I've only just got into sculpting, but I find that spit works as a great lubricant, just lick the bit you're working on and then crack on. Water tends to just run off and vaseline if a nightmare to clean off afterwards.

To get a smooth finish, I use rubber clay shapers, they give a smooth finish everytime.

Yeah, saliva and clay chapers, probably the two most important tools in my arsenal. :)

Also, I always add more GS than I need for each area I'm sculpting and remove the excess. This garners much better results than having to add more because I didn't use enough in the first place.

Experiment with different mixes of blue to yellow. I use 2:1 yellow to blue for most smooth areas, and 1:1 for parts that require more sharp details.

Duke
01-26-2010, 11:32 PM
It's funny you say stay away from squadron putty, I picked it up and your right it stinks... Cheap yea, but stinks

Duke