PDA

View Full Version : 30k Dark Angels

Dalleron
07-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Anyone interested in a little prognostication for the Dark Angels in the HH? Clearly this will be wish listing of sorts.

In Unremembered empire, I believe, they mention 6 wings. We could safely assume that ravenwing will be one. Probably Deathwing too, but did it exist at that point in time? There's brief mention of ironwing, and that's tanks and armour.

Would they do assault marine wings as well? What characters from the books are there to put in? I don't see Luthor being in a HH army book.

What do you DA folks think?

Mr.Pickelz
07-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Having DA introduced with the civil war on their homeworld would be pretty cool, in which case characters like Luthor could see a profile/page of stats.

interrogator_chaplain
07-21-2014, 07:40 AM
I think we might be getting close actually, with the introduction of the Night Lords (Contemptor Dreadnought from the Open Day), we'll probably be seeing the start of the Thramas Crusade in which the Dark Angels engaged the Night Lords in a series of running battles through the Thramas Sector. (Hopefully some mission where the Lion and the Night Haunter end up on the same field so that this time The Lion can take his head.)

I would make a guess that the next book after the Phall System might be Signus Campaign with the Blood Angels, Word Bearers and maybe Daemons. After that we'll probably see the Thramas Crusade.

Hmmm... Maybe "getting close" weren't the right words...

Back when the Forge World Facebook page was still a thing, I asked and they said that they would likely be doing a Corswain model along with the Lion when the time came.

Landrain
07-21-2014, 07:44 AM
I would say that Luther would have to have stats in any HH book.

All I know is that with all of the fancy Terminator Armor for just about every Chapter so far both Loyalist and Traitor, and the special rules for some of them. The 30K Deathwing better get kick *** models and rules.

6 wings... The obvious 3...

Deathwing
Ravenwing
Ironwing

Assault Wing?
Devastator Wing?
Scout Wing?

Andrew Thomas
07-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Having DA introduced with the civil war on their homeworld would be pretty cool, in which case characters like Luthor could see a profile/page of stats.
Yeah. It would be like the Loyalist Captains in the Legions at Isstvan in reverse. I could see that. Also need 30k stats for Cypher.

Brother Sutek
07-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Would like to see Ravenwing using jetbikes :) Mind you I am waiting for beautiful models to add to my DA's but honestly want my Alpha Legion models a bit more...

Mr.Pickelz
07-21-2014, 10:10 AM
@Andrew
Pretty much what I was thinking, we start with Isstavan where loyalist are purged, but now the shoe is on the other foot where Traitors are being purged, and probably any allies as well, being that Dark Angels want to hide that info.

Tomgar
07-21-2014, 10:14 AM
I'd love to see somee kind of plasma-centric veteran unit. And some units in really "knightly" armour. Most of all though, I just want the Lion to have a badass model!

Dalleron
07-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Corswain, that's the guy I was trying to remember. I don't see Luthor being in a DA army list right away. I've always read that the split happens after the heresy. Not saying it couldn't be it's own book though,but that's to specific.

Darren Richardson
07-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Corswain, that's the guy I was trying to remember. I don't see Luthor being in a DA army list right away. I've always read that the split happens after the heresy. Not saying it couldn't be it's own book though,but that's to specific.

no the split is near the end of the Heresy, not after, it's the reason the Dark Angels were not present at the Battle for Terra, as they had to head back fast to Caliban as Luthor declared his own Heresy....

It prevented the Lion from assisting, which could have turned history on it's butt, after all if the DA's were to hand, the BA's might not have taken such a kicking on Horus' Battle Barge.....

Tomgar
07-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Not according to the Codex. It states they diverted to Caliban during the Scouring, after the Battle for Terra because Warp storms had engulfed the planet. The DA fleet actually arrived at Terra but the battle was over already. They then drove out the traitors in the scouring, discovering Luther's betrayal sometime during this period.

EDIT: it's on pages 8 and 9 of the Codex btw. And as far as I'm aware, the reason they missed the battle for Terra was because they were engaged in a campaign against the Night Lords who constanly harried and delayed them.

DarkChaplain
07-21-2014, 08:13 PM
In Tales of Heresy's "The Call of the Lion", Merir Astelan does not know about the Ravenwing, btw.

‘What’s that?’ Astelan asked, pointing to a heraldic symbol on Belath’s right shoulder plate, where normally a Space Marine’s organisational and rank markings would be painted. It was decorated with a quartered shield, white and blue, emblazoned with a sword held in the grip of a taloned foot.
‘That is the symbol of my order,’ replied Belath, somewhat taken aback. ‘The Order of the Raven’s Wing.’
Astelan turned an inquiring look to Galedan.
‘One of the knightly orders,’ the captain said. ‘A Calibanite rank badge.’
‘And that?’ said Astelan, redirecting his accusing finger to Belath’s other shoulder pad, which was painted a dark green beneath the Dark Angels symbol.
‘The glorious Lion El’Jonson has decreed that Calibanite warriors are to wear the green of our home world’s forests,’ said Belath with no small hint of defiance. ‘It is to act as a remembrance of the battles fought to tame Caliban under the leadership of the Lion.’

The quoted section is set, of course, before the outbreak of the Heresy and before Astelan got sent back - it seems like the events in the story are the reason Astelan was sent to Caliban. It also doesn't seem to imply that there's anything special about the Ravenwing yet, apart from them bearing their old Order's iconography as a constant reminder of the old days.
So it seems that the Wings weren't around right from the start, at least not as a special strikeforce.
Astelan was sent back to Caliban after the first wave, with Luther and co. So it wouldn't surprise me if the Calibanite Dark Angels were unaware of the new structure of the Legion, considering how rarely the Lion bothered to reply to Luther.

Apparently Dan Abnett's next HH novel will be about Dark Angels and is titled "Dreadwing" - but who the hell knows when that's even going to happen, considering he's busy with other projects this year, still hasn't wrapped up The Warmaster and no word has been given about Penitent in forever....

Darren Richardson
07-22-2014, 01:15 AM
Not according to the Codex. It states they diverted to Caliban during the Scouring, after the Battle for Terra because Warp storms had engulfed the planet. The DA fleet actually arrived at Terra but the battle was over already. They then drove out the traitors in the scouring, discovering Luther's betrayal sometime during this period.

EDIT: it's on pages 8 and 9 of the Codex btw. And as far as I'm aware, the reason they missed the battle for Terra was because they were engaged in a campaign against the Night Lords who constanly harried and delayed them.

Oh so they retconned their history yet again huh (don't have the DA codex's), sorry, I was sure it USED to be before, not after, oh well thats GW for ya :rolleyes:

Brother Sutek
07-22-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm just hoping that they don't make the Lion a potential traitor waiting to see who wins on Terra. Gav has heavily hinted at this in every book he's written on the DAs. Mind you they also gloss over the fact that other than Horus no chapter had more victories...

Tomgar
07-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Eh, at least it's not as bad as Eldrad and Captain Tycho being dead yet somehow able to still kick *** on the table because GW LOGIC :p

And yeah, I've never liked that interpretation, Brother Sutek. I've always viewed the Dark Angels as fiercely, fanatically loyal. Their actions are as much driven by shame at their betrayal as they are by fear of retribution. To me, they'll always be among the staunchest loyalists in the Imperium, only with a dark stain on them, kind of like the Blood Angels.

Brother Sutek
07-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Agreed. The 2nd edition book made them dark but noble and showed their fanatical desperation to gain redemption for their failures. Sadly now they are a pack of paranoid almost chaos marines who are barely loyal... Mind you the changes to Cypher that seems to suggest that he is trying get to Terra and do "something" has been good.

Andrew Thomas
07-27-2014, 08:08 PM
@Andrew
Pretty much what I was thinking, we start with Isstavan where loyalist are purged, but now the shoe is on the other foot where Traitors are being purged, and probably any allies as well, being that Dark Angels want to hide that info.

Having just finished Scars, I could see this becoming a theme, especially if they put the White Scars and DA in the same book.