PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta, GA Calling all players!

Darkwynn
01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
So I might be moving out to Atlanta, GA.

was wondering what the playing environment is like out there. Anyone know where the best store to go to is at? What is it like out there at all? Looking for some fellow BOLS people to help me out here :)

TheBitzBarn
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Well That is kinda hard to tell What Part of Atlanta are you gonna Move to? If you are on the Northeast side of Atlanta (i mean suburbs as NO one actually LIVE in ATLANTA) There is The Tower Games @www.thetowergames.com. They are in Lawrenceville and Largest on In the Metro area as far as Gaming is concerned.

If the Northwest suburbs you have Hobby town USA in Kennasaw and Gigi Bits Cafe in Marietta.
If the City of Atlanta itself then sorry NO GAME Stores
If the South Side of Atlanta then I think there is One game Store in Riverdale and there is Treefort games in Fayetteville
If the West side of Suburbs there Hobby Hangout in Douglasville
If you Move to the Eastside of Atlanta Good LUCK!

Most of the Gaming is on the North side ot Atlanta

I hope that helps

Darkwynn
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you that does help. I haven't even decided on where I would live in Atlanta as I haven't been there. I assume I am looking at the North East side I guess or where ever the most stores are.

BuFFo
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
You need to come to Melbourne / Orlando Florida :)

TheBitzBarn
01-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Well the most populated areas are Cobb County in the Northwest around the I75 corridor or Gwinnett County around the I85 Corridor. Plus Ga400 North is a good area Roswell and Alpharetta

Darkriver
01-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Up 85N from Atl you have a GW store in the Mall of Georgia and Phoenix Games about 2 miles down the road from it. Honestly Phoenix is the better store for the hobbying community up that way. As mentioned up 75N there is Hobbytown and Gigabytes Cafe, 20W has Hobby Hangout (and my basement, lol). Not sure beyond those. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nikephoros
01-22-2010, 07:29 AM
As someone who had a 1.5 hour commute to work, and a 1.5 hour trip home everyday when I lived in Atlanta, let me stress to you that it is infinitely more important for your sanity to choose to live close to where you work rather than close to where you play. If you follow this advice you'll thank me later, if you don't... well... you'll live to regret it.

Marshal2Crusaders
01-22-2010, 07:37 AM
As someone who had a 1.5 hour commute to work, and a 1.5 hour trip home everyday when I lived in Atlanta, let me stress to you that it is infinitely more important for your sanity to choose to live close to where you work rather than close to where you play. If you follow this advice you'll thank me later, if you don't... well... you'll live to regret it.

Or you can ride MARTA. If you dare.

Pheonix is by far the best around for wargaming. I drive there from Dahlonega (one of the few remaining cities with Confederate Veterans) and that's about an hour away.

TheBitzBarn
01-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Up 85N from Atl you have a GW store in the Mall of Georgia and Phoenix Games about 2 miles down the road from it. Honestly Phoenix is the better store for the hobbying community up that way. As mentioned up 75N there is Hobbytown and Gigabytes Cafe, 20W has Hobby Hangout (and my basement, lol). Not sure beyond those. Let me know if you have any questions.

GW Mall of Georgia Closed. Phoenix is not the best for Gaming it is one of the stores in Atlanta. Phoenix does not get new GW as from GW statement they have "Severe Financial issues"(not my statement but a Quote form GW). That is why they(GW) did not direct people to Phoenix when GW Mall of Georgia closed.

TheBitzBarn
01-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Marta is a JOKE and goes no where usefull in the Metor Area Needs to be closed and taken over by a new entity.

Seebo
01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
What about The Games Pit in Duluth? I don't know how far it is from downtown. I visited there once and it seemed like a pretty good store/community.

Darkriver
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Wasn't aware that the Mall of Georgia store had finally shut down. It was up in the air for the longest time. But I do know that Phoenix does carry a good amount of product new and otherwise. They aren't perfect but they do get product in fairly regularly. Store has a great layout and good community base up there for the area. It's a little to much of a drive for me to get up that way but I do try and get up that way when I can to show some love. They also carry a good slew of other miniature games up there including Privateer Press and Flames of War.

TheBitzBarn
01-22-2010, 11:49 AM
They Moved to Lilburn no longer in Duluth and hard to reach from Downtown they when they were in Duluth/Lawrenceville area

Darkriver- Have you checked out The Tower? They have PP, Flames of War and They hosted the HMGS Field of Glory Gulf South Tourney last weekend They store is 5400 Square feet and has Nice tables Paint tables, Video Games, Cafe Seating and Roleplay room. As for the Phoenix the info I had about the Financial Situation was not hard fact as it was passed along to me and other games form a VP at Games Workshop, as they were a Partnership Store i would figure he knew what he was talking about but I have NO real knowledge of anything but what the VP said.

Darkwynn
01-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I am going to be driving all of the area in Atlanta so i won't have a base to work out of for awhile. Distance isn't going to be a problem for me.

My main gig is i will be meeting customers on site to talk business. So one person can be on one side of the town and the other can be somewhere else.

I am more concerned about being close to a area that I can go to the store quick, it has a nice area and the community there is great or something even close to Austin community.

Darkriver
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Bitz- I have not been to the Tower. Where is it exactly, coming from Douglasville here.

Dark- Basically as long as you're outside the perimeter you'll find the most hobby shops.

Marshal2Crusaders
01-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Well That is kinda hard to tell What Part of Atlanta are you gonna Move to? If you are on the Northeast side of Atlanta (i mean suburbs as NO one actually LIVE in ATLANTA) There is The Tower Games @www.thetowergames.com. They are in Lawrenceville and Largest on In the Metro area as far as Gaming is concerned.

If the Northwest suburbs you have Hobby town USA in Kennasaw and Gigi Bits Cafe in Marietta.
If the City of Atlanta itself then sorry NO GAME Stores
If the South Side of Atlanta then I think there is One game Store in Riverdale and there is Treefort games in Fayetteville
If the West side of Suburbs there Hobby Hangout in Douglasville
If you Move to the Eastside of Atlanta Good LUCK!

Most of the Gaming is on the North side ot Atlanta

I hope that helps

Marta is a JOKE and goes no where usefull in the Metor Area Needs to be closed and taken over by a new entity.

I once got lost on it and ended up in Buckhead or somewhere else that was completly not where I needed to be.

I hope Pheonix doesn't close. The owner practicaly taught me how to play.

TheBitzBarn
01-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Bitz- I have not been to the Tower. Where is it exactly, coming from Douglasville here.

Well you go North on 85 and get off on Ga 316 towards Athens and get off 316 at 120 and turn Left cross back over Ga 316 and then there is a Strip Mall with a Staples and Hooters on the Left they are to the right of the Staples

Nikephoros
01-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Dark- Basically as long as you're outside the perimeter you'll find the most hobby shops.

Thats the problem with Atlanta. Outside the perimeter is cheap housing and hobby shops, inside the perimeter is good jobs/restaurants/nightlife. Between the two is a huge commute. Like I said, you really have to size up where you are in life. If going to fancy restaurants and trendy bars and meeting cute girls is where youre at, live in the perimeter and be happy. If you are settled and want to be suburban and are already married, move to marietta and be happy.

Marshal2Crusaders
01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Thats the problem with Atlanta. Outside the perimeter is cheap housing and hobby shops, inside the perimeter is good jobs/restaurants/nightlife. Between the two is a huge commute. Like I said, you really have to size up where you are in life. If going to fancy restaurants and trendy bars and meeting cute girls is where youre at, live in the perimeter and be happy. If you are settled and want to be suburban and are already married, move to marietta and be happy.

The girls are less high maintnance towards Athens. Just saying.....

Also, if you are moving here from Austin please, please, please do not, I say again, do not wear a
cowboy hat, boots, or an overly large belt buckle. Leave that to the nuggets and fender lizards.

TheBitzBarn
01-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Thats the problem with Atlanta. Outside the perimeter is cheap housing and hobby shops, inside the perimeter is good jobs/restaurants/nightlife. Between the two is a huge commute. Like I said, you really have to size up where you are in life. If going to fancy restaurants and trendy bars and meeting cute girls is where youre at, live in the perimeter and be happy. If you are settled and want to be suburban and are already married, move to Marietta and be happy.

Outside the Perimeter is Well run Counties, Lower Taxes, Lower Crime and a City not run by a corrupt government. There are GREAT restaurants and Bars Outside the Perimeter. Look at Roswell,Norcross, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody , Marietta, and Lawrenceville for nice restaurants. Lots of Cute girls too.

Only good areas left inside is Highlands and Little Five. Rest is trendy, shallow areas like midtown. I miss the 90's in Buckhead before it went ghetto and then destroyed. I miss Fado's, and CJ's Landing, LuLu's. Those were cool bars in the 90's.

I am a lil biased I cannot stand Inside the Perimeter and The City is run by TOTAL morons and has been for 15 years.

TheBitzBarn
01-22-2010, 11:26 PM
The girls are less high maintnance towards Athens. Just saying.....

Also, if you are moving here from Austin please, please, please do not, I say again, do not wear a
cowboy hat, boots, or an overly large belt buckle. Leave that to the nuggets and fender lizards.

Are you talking about Winder-Barrow girls?

Cause I think they are less high Maintenance cause indoor plumbing is a new thing for them. J/K

Unless you mean Auburn or Stratham Girls and in that case a two room Police Stations is High Class J/k having a lil Fun :)

Sergeant Horse
01-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Hey man, I love Atlanta, moved here 3 years ago and the MArietta, Cobb County area is great, but I guess I'm biased since I own Giga-Bites Cafe. Come check us out sometime, we have a great core group and carry a load of different games. you can visit our own forums HERE (http://www.gigabitescafe.com/forum) to meet the other gamers and organise games at any time. Also, we open until 11 daily which helps with the commute

Darkriver
01-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Giga-bytes is a good little place. Gamed there a time or two. My brother-in-law is a regular up there. Pretty friendly bunch.

Nikephoros
01-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Outside the Perimeter is Well run Counties, Lower Taxes, Lower Crime and a City not run by a corrupt government. There are GREAT restaurants and Bars Outside the Perimeter. Look at Roswell,Norcross, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody , Marietta, and Lawrenceville for nice restaurants. Lots of Cute girls too.

Only good areas left inside is Highlands and Little Five. Rest is trendy, shallow areas like midtown. I miss the 90's in Buckhead before it went ghetto and then destroyed. I miss Fado's, and CJ's Landing, LuLu's. Those were cool bars in the 90's.

I am a lil biased I cannot stand Inside the Perimeter and The City is run by TOTAL morons and has been for 15 years.

Yeah but no one under 27 wants to live in Roswell, Norcross, Sandy Springs, etc. Young people want trendy and shallow. So like I said, it really depends on where he is in his life.

Darkwynn
01-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Guys, I just want to say thank you a lot this was very helpful!

Marshal2Crusaders
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Id love to see your Templars in the ATL tourne scene.

Darkwynn
01-25-2010, 01:02 PM
hehe, there will be more then just Templar's at first :)

I see there is tons of warmachine that is played in ATL too which kind of took me by surprise.

tabyrd
01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
There is a pretty healthy gaming scene here in Atlanta. Atlanta's a lot more spread out than Austin so as many people pointed out, living/work location may dictate your gaming venue. I think all the major gaming stores were named. I live in Sandy Springs and hit several for my gaming fix. Gigabytes, The Gaming Pit, Phoenix, and Tower all have regular gaming groups that meet up weekly to play. I tend towards The Pit personally for the tough competitors and ability to always find a game without a lot of setup before hand. Atlanta also has a ton of tournaments with some of the individual gaming clubs setting up tournament circuits that filter through all the various stores. It makes for a fun environment with a lot of venues and opponents. If/when you make it out to Atlanta, I look forward to meeting you. Look me up and I'll introduce you around.

Thomas

Darkwynn
01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I am sure Larry could tell you what I did to Austin when I first came here. I will love going into a new area meeting people and just having fun.

It looks like there is a lot of War machine interest out there too which I am kind of surprised in a lot of ways.

Sergeant Horse
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM
definitely pop by and say hello, I'm sure if you like tournaments, you will be all over atlanta playing them :D

AdamHarry
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM

On a side note, No-one wears this stuff in Austin, much less Texas...I've lived in Texas for over 25 years and have maybe seen 1 cowboy hat a year...and those were probably tourists.

mountaincycle661
02-03-2010, 09:09 PM
GW Mall of Georgia Closed. Phoenix is not the best for Gaming it is one of the stores in Atlanta. Phoenix does not get new GW as from GW statement they have "Severe Financial issues"(not my statement but a Quote form GW). That is why they(GW) did not direct people to Phoenix when GW Mall of Georgia closed.

HA!

HA HA HA! I dont know where you got your GW quote from, but I was just in Phoenix Games this past weekend (unveiling that Chaos Imperator) and that place was doing juuuust fine. Their shelves were decently stocked, they were running a large magic tournement that day, they stock scibor miniatures! Believe me, ive never seen a game store looking so profitable.

I remember the day when Dakka Dakka closed (yeah, it was a game store first, then a website) and ever since Ive been looking for a place that has 12 full size gaming tables and a truly awesome community of players. And phoenix is just that. I live in savannah and the game stores here are pretty sucky. I only WISH i lived closer to atlanta to get to that store.

So darkwynn, if its near your area, you should definitely make Phoenix "your" store.