PDA

View Full Version : [40k Review] Star of Damocles - Andy Hoare

wittdooley
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Star of Damocles, the second installment in Andy Hoare's tale of the exploits of Lucian Gerrit and the Clan Arcadius, follows directly on the heels of Rogue Star. This time, however, Hoare amps up the action while maintaining the development of his characters, spinning a space yarn that is terse and tense, and reads quite well.

The book picks up immediately where Rogue Star leaves off; Lucian and his brood find themselves on the edge of the Damocles Gulf, preparing to launch an Imperial crusade against the newly discovered Tau. However, as a rogue trader, Lucian has his reservations, unwilling to concede to Imperial Cardinal Gurney and Inquisitor Grand's notion that the Tau should simply be exterminated; rather, it is Lucian's belief--no doubt rooted in his exploitative nature as a rogue trader--that the Tau have technologies and knowledge that could further the cause of the Imperium.

Much like Rogue Star, Hoare creates a story dripping with character and political intrigue. A great number of scenes within Star of Damocles take place within the chambers of the military council of the crusade, consisting of Gerrit, Grand, Gurney, and an assortment of other military and strategic heads, including two Astartes captains. These scenes, though devoid of bloodshed or physical action, are well written, tense, and most importantly believable. Though many on the council are minor characters, through Lucian's presence at the council we see that each has a thoroughly distinct character. Further, each council session is teeming with a palpable tension, created by the obvious disdain some characters have for others.

And while this political intrigue and maneuvering takes up a great deal of the book, Hoare presents us with more action than before. As in Rogue Star, Hoare does a commendable job of presenting naval warfare. While I’m no expert on ship-to-ship combat, each naval action is believably written, with Gerrit reminding me of Russell Crowe’s turn as Captain Jack Aubrey in the movie Master and Commander (and I mean this is the utmost positive). In addition, we are privy to more visceral action via the boarding actions of the White Scars. While not as lengthy and descriptive as, say, the Horus Heresy novels, the Astartes action is appropriate. The boarding actions are quick in real time, and are represented as such in the novel.
Akin to Rogue Star, Star of Damocles is not without a few warts. While we get to see the growth of both Lucian and Korvane as characters, Brielle is left to her own devices (for good reason though) most of the book. As a result, Brielle’s character growth is limited and she deviates very little from the rebellious archetype she is meant to embody. Also, the ending is a bit abrupt and is obviously a place holder for a sequel; sadly, I’ve yet to find out whether or not one is planned.

Despite those—admittedly picky--shortcomings, in Star of Damocles Andy Hoare has fleshed out the universe he created in Rogue Star and developed a cast of very likeable characters. Additionally, Hoare’s story keeps you on the edge of your grav chair…er, seat…and makes you want more. I hope Hoare is allowed to conclude his tale as, for me, the story of Lucian Gerrit and the Arcadius Clan is contending for a “Best of” spot in the expansive Black Library.

The Good
* Continues development of great characters
* Politiking is intense and intriguing, while action scenes are equally involved

The Bad
* Brielle’s character stagnates with limited ‘face time’
* (Sadly) No conclusion on the horizon will leave you wanting

Duke
01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for doing such great reviews. . . It is always great to hear. Is there a place where these will be archived so we can search for a review before we pick up a new book?

Duke

Bard of Twilight
01-21-2010, 02:58 PM
An amazing book indeed. Is anyone having any idea about when the new book will arrive to our greedy hands:D????

wittdooley
01-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for doing such great reviews. . . It is always great to hear. Is there a place where these will be archived so we can search for a review before we pick up a new book?

Duke

I put them all on my blog on this website, so they're all archived there. This is part of my desire to actually use my writing degree a bit more, plus writing and reading all the time has really been relaxing.