PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions on X-Wing from a prospective player

D'Ork
07-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Hi all! Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 - Are Imp vs Imp (or Rebel vs Rebel) games allowed/common? I ask to understand if each player is basically required to collect both Imp and Rebel squadrons, so that they can play against anyone they run into.
2 - Are "team games" (2v2, etc.) not possible or not preferred for any reason? I ask because my group is accustomed to 2v2 40K, and I need a game to bring to our "geek night" that more than two people can enjoy.

Thanks again.

Mr Mystery
07-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Both are perfectly possible.

Common view of X-Wing is that it's a tournament type competitive game. And it certainly lends itself to that (lots down to player skill, simplistic rules but good strategic and tactical depth).

It's also so much more. For instance, I'm heading round Bloody Enormous Simon's a week on Saturday for a geek night of X-Wing, pizza and camaraderie. And beer. Always the beer! About 6 of us are going, and we'll be playing anything goes games. For instance? Between us we have two CR-90's, and a Rebel Transport. We should also have more than enough Imperial craft to tackle that, and defending fighters. Just stick to an agreed points limit, and little can go wrong!

The game is balanced for the two factions to head off against each other, but like for like shouldn't break it.

PalinMoonstride
07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
The tournament rules allow for same faction play. The only difference from normal play is that if you both have equal point values you roll off for the initiative.

2v2 games are perfectly fine and encouraged with the team epic format which is 200 points per player.

Tyrendian
07-17-2014, 04:31 AM
also, team games can be very fun when you also have to try to guess where your teammate's fighters will be going, not only the opponent's - works best if sharing of specific information on moves is prohibited, as I think it is by the standard rules

Mr Mystery
07-17-2014, 04:35 AM
And for easy ways to differentiate your fighters, drop into my Bells and Whistles sourcing thread for where to get coloured plastic flying stands!

D'Ork
07-17-2014, 06:17 AM
That actually reminds me of another question:

Can players re-paint mini's or does that cause confusion if a particular unit is recognized by their color scheme? I've noticed, for example, that some of the aces have red ships. If I wanted a squadron of red ships, that would look like I was hiding the ace.

Path Walker
07-17-2014, 06:23 AM
That actually reminds me of another question:

Can players re-paint mini's or does that cause confusion if a particular unit is recognized by their color scheme? I've noticed, for example, that some of the aces have red ships. If I wanted a squadron of red ships, that would look like I was hiding the ace.

Nope, because the information is on the base and should be clearly marked for your opponent, the model doesn't matter, the cards used to, so you can use the Ace painted Inteceptor with any of the "standard" ace pilots, so, if you want to repaint, repaint!

Mr Mystery
07-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Yuparoo.

Plus, you get little numbered tokens to put on ships if you're fielding multiples. It's meant for copies (such as Academy Pilot) to differentiate, but I also use them even when there's different pilots at the helm. Just feels polite.

Colour Scheme? Go nuts dude. Peronal preference would have me ensuring my Ace's really stood out, rather than just mixing into the general flight plan :)