PDA

View Full Version : Hows my colour scheme? Nids

TSINI
01-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi guys, just thought i'd post up my tester model for my new Tyranid army

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dKzBWK8cqBI/S1e9HQj3E6I/AAAAAAAAArY/2_tzwjBpqkA/s400/hormagaunts+006.jpg

Chaos black undercoat, Khemri Brown foundation all over. Bleached Bone body. Camo Green carapace. Thraka Green wash on the armour. Devlan Mud wash on the body. Skull white on the scythes, teeth and claws followed by a Gryphonne Sepia wash on these parts.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dKzBWK8cqBI/S1e9HLA-BOI/AAAAAAAAArQ/pR9RJSx73aw/s400/hormagaunts+004.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dKzBWK8cqBI/S1e9GydhzWI/AAAAAAAAArI/zjDX8V0559A/s400/hormagaunts+003.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dKzBWK8cqBI/S1e9GdylyxI/AAAAAAAAArA/b6H0T45jkjk/s400/hormagaunts+002.jpg
The green wash on the tail ran a little too far, but my lessons learnt for the next model: paint the eyes before washing, and do the green armour wash before the brown body wash

Any critiques welcome

At the moment i'm posting under my Lucky88th (http://lucky88th.blogspot.com) blog, but will probably start a new blog sometime this week specifically for my nid army's progress.

Aldramelech
01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Goodbye

Madness
01-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Very leafy, I'd attempt to make the bony bits stand out more.

therealjohnny5
01-21-2010, 09:15 AM
yeah maybe a final highlight after the washes, but just a little or perhaps dry-brushing a lighter highlight before washing just to add a little more contrast. Otherwise it's good.

TSINI
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
yeah, I'll have a go on the scythes tonight, see if I can lighten them up further.

with drybrushing, I'm ok on large surfaces, but terrible on small detail, this is obviously something I'll have to work on :D

I will also grab a pink/purple wash this weekend to pink up the tongue and piping, i think they could do with more contrast

jcroxford
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Looks very cool.

Madness
01-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure if brightening will improve the contrast, the skin is too bright to get contrast with white. I'd either pick a darker color for the bones or the skin.

Cryl
01-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I like it. Simple and effective. With 'nids you'll always have millions of the on the board and the effect of lots of models painted simply and well is always impressive.

fuzzbuket
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Sweet:D

Caldera02
01-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I applaud you on the level of detail and how good that model looks. However, from a long time nid player, with that many steps you are going to hate painting gaunts after awhile lol. If you can muster the willpower and time to do that on all of them though, then that will look outstanding and I would want to see pictures!

TSINI
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
lol I shy away from no painting challenge when it involves numbers

I plan on having 60+ gaunts, so yeah, its gonna take a while, but those who know me know I have over 100 infantry in my lucky88th all painted to a similar level (Less washes though :D)

with me it's all about the painting and modelling, and as I can't really see myself going mad on the converting for this army (although I have some trygon reposing plans) I'm going to have to push the boat out for the painting.

Cheers for the responses guys, as for photos of large numbers - its gonna take a while :D but i'll hopefully get these gaunts done over the next few days, and might move onto my trygon alongside.

as for the scythes, I was thinking of going the other way, with the dark red/orange scythes that you often see, although I think it might clash with the green/white scheme.

I could simply pull the green colour from the carapace onto the claws, although im not sure I like that idea.

Madness
01-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Try with variants maybe, a bleached green might work, but I'd take something with a different hue, red might work, it's complementar.

TSINI
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Ok, so I've done one with a red scythe

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dKzBWK8cqBI/S1ighujSa2I/AAAAAAAAAsA/J_03RmOLkIo/s400/hormagaunts+007.jpg

definately "pops" a bit more

but will it suit my monstrous creatures? only time will tell :D

Madness
01-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Hell yeah, now do the hooves and the smaller talons the same way and you'll have a really aggressive looking thingie.

Teeth are optional.

Aldramelech
01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Goodbye

TSINI
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
maybe i'll do 1 white and 1 red, then just move round to different sides of the table for a different effect... :D

the image I'm basing my scheme on is this one

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Tyranids/scythedh1.jpg

So I really don't know whether to go red or stick with the "slightly too subtle" white (I think understated is nice too)

If I go red, the claws and hooves will have to follow, or it just won't look right... will it? (i can't even decide on that little bit either haha!)

I forgot how hard it is to choose a colour scheme for an army lol

Caldera02
01-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I LOVE the way that red turned out. I'd go with that! lol

Col_Festus
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
If you go with that red on the talons make sure you do all the joints and such that red as well. It will help to bring it all together.

Madness
01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Going red doesn't mean you can't toy with saturation or brightness.

Duke
01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
I personally like the red, though I don't like only doing one of them... Do both.

Duke

Hades Alpha
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I think red stands out too much. I suggest you do your scything talons black.
Anyway they look really nice.

wokkers
01-21-2010, 04:12 PM
the red makes them look a bit like christmas nids. i think the bone one looks better.

TSINI
01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, I've just been to the pub (working, although all my wages went back into the till....) I can't make this decision after drinking, but I have to say, the responses have been varied.

Some like it red, other don't

my own personal pro/con list goes as such:

I like the fact that the red is so vivid they look like murderous weapons.

I also like the fact that the red scythes are "eye candy" and make the model look nice.

I don't like the idea of red claws and hooves - they will make the scythes "make sense" but will draw too much attention away from the rest of the model.

I like that the bone weapons look like they are part of the monster.

I also like that the bone weapons are not a "christmas scheme"

I don't like the way the bone scythes look too similar to the body colour (although this isnt a problem in the forgeworld model - I think they just do it better)

I am truly at a loss wih this one. may have to take a break and work out what i like/dislike with these models

I might even finish off the "red scythed" model with claws and hooves just to see what it looks like as a whole. will be back with pics of that 2moro.

Cheers for the posts, and kind compliments.

TSINI

Commissar Lewis
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Truly awesome, man. Looks very nice, your painting skill kicks the *** of mine.

I like the red talons, it's vividness emphasizes it's lethality IMO.

Madness
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Again, consider that there is a spectrum of choices between bone white and blood red to pick from, you're free to mute the color as much as necessary to take away just as much attention as you want and not a bit more.

Hairy Piggy
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Looks good to me, I'm thinking about starting 'nids and I've been attracted to bone coloured skin. As to how to paint the scythes, this is Warhammer! What do we use to decide things in Warhammer? Dice! On a 4+ go red and anything else go bone/white:D

Lindargo
01-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't know is this is a silly answer, but why not change your carapace to red?
nice painting btw,

- Lindargo

BDub
01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I like the scheme a lot. It pops very well.

A far as the talons go I would use a gradient based on the tan color and then go from a darker version to almost white at the tips and edge or just the opposite. This will help them stand out but not look like hes had his nails done.

I would also pink up the tongue and inside of the mouth and gums to set off the teeth and feature the head a bit more.

Post the army when you get it done, plz. I'm sure we would all love to see it.

The Dinosaur
01-27-2010, 02:36 AM
amazing paint job - the green/bone is a winner, and the bone talons definately suit.
def looks better without the red, perhaps if you're really after somthing extra - a yellow section down the carapace? or a purple under belly? :P