PDA

View Full Version : All Time Favourite Unit

Path Walker
07-16-2014, 04:20 AM
We all have that one unit we love, even if we shouldn't, you might love the models, be proud of the paint job you did on them, think the fluff behind them is awesome or have had great success with them on the battlefield!

I love my Ork boyz, deep down, they're the army I've always loved, since 1994 when I got the second edition starter set, I play Eldar too, after a childhood of looking at gorgeously painted Harlequins, and have dabbled with other armies, but time and again, i'm drawn back to the boyz.

Of all the boyz, i think I love the Shokk Attack Gun Mek the most, ever since you had to buy the ammo for it in the form of bases of Snotlings, its just so Orky! A hole is torn in the warp between the guns “barrel” and some unlucky enemy and Snotlings are drawn through this portal screaming and clawing, materialising among or even inside the enemy, who are overwhelmed with maddened Snots, driven mad by the horrors of their brief trip through warp space.

How Orky is that?

And on top of that, it can go horribly, horribly wrong, sucking everything into the warp in a horrific portal accident, throwing the Mek through the portal into the enemy or many other terrible things.

It’s something I try and include every time I use my Orks, it goes badly as often as it performs well for me, but even when it blows the Mek up as the first shot on the first turn (giving my opponent First Blood as well as not doing anything for the game) but I just laugh and laugh, the idea of the Mek spooling up with Shokk Attack Gun, ready to fill a rhino with Snotlings when something clanks and he’s sucked into the Warp, cursing Mork at his bad luck.

So, what are your favourite units and why?

Wolfshade
07-16-2014, 04:42 AM
The Death Company.

Firstly, I love the story of Sanguinius' final sacrifice, I think that that is brilliant. So as the DC dovetail into that it is a match made in heaven. The idea that they all follow their primarchs visions and follow the same path unwavering.

It also speaks to the soul of the BAs and that this is their ultimate fate, even if they are good enough to survive countless battle fields, they will all eventually done the black armour and charge at the enemy with righteous fury barely restrained by the prayers of the chaplain.

In the Death Company all are equal, from youngest marine to oldest captain, the norms of rank are banished all are equal in death.

Some say that the Blood Angels are tainted: that they harbour a dark secret. I know this to be true. I have seen the infamous Death Company: wild-eyed and foam-mouthed berserkers who tear their enemies limb from limb, crush skulls with a single blow, snap spines and rip out inner organs. I have seen the Sanguinary Priests: the passing of blood filled chalices from lip to lip, heard their wracking lamentations of Sanguinus's death. I have watched their rituals: mighty warriors daubing their armour in the blood of their foes, heard them crying for vengeance against the enemies of the Emperor.

Gamewise, I have had some glorious moments for the DC all the way back to 2nd ed. Unfortunately around 4th they became my opponents number 1 target and so they were merciliously shot down, but allowing others to do their job.

If you want to cause trouble take a 30 man death company lead by lemartes, power weapons, jump packs, though of course this starts to make them stupidly expensive...

skeletoro
07-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Marneus Calgar with bonus gyro-stabilized mono wheel. It was second edition, don't ask.

Path Walker
07-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Marneus Calgar with bonus gyro-stabilized mono wheel. It was second edition, don't ask.

Didn't realise he could use Ork Only Wargear Cards :P

Mr Mystery
07-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Killa Kans.

Don't care what anyone says at the best of times, but when it comes to knocking any unit driven or piloted by a Grot, you're simply wrong.

Kans r grate. Everyone knows it! And Grot Tanks come a close second. Mostly because I find the concept of 5 year old football hooligans in teeny tiny tanks highly amusing!

Forge Master
07-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield wielding Terminators. Anything in TDA looks so epic cool in my eyes but ad a shield and a hammer and these guys look fantastic.

Such a shame chaos terminators can't take them.

Path Walker
07-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Killa Kans.

Don't care what anyone says at the best of times, but when it comes to knocking any unit driven or piloted by a Grot, you're simply wrong.

Kans r grate. Everyone knows it! And Grot Tanks come a close second. Mostly because I find the concept of 5 year old football hooligans in teeny tiny tanks highly amusing!

Kans have also got one of my all time favourite GW Plastic Kits, if it had all the weapon options covered for the full unit it'd win out, but as it is, its one of the most pose-able and fun looking kits around, I love it, mine all look like loons, like they’re clanking and jerking about all over the place, legs and arms flailing away manically!

Learn2Eel
07-16-2014, 06:12 AM
Swooping Hawks. Superman is a constant inspiration and defines much of my life and personality - I try to be as kind and charitable as possible in every situation, as hard as it may be. There's no similarity between Superman and Swooping Hawks there, but by god do I want to fly....Birds are the most beautiful creatures on Earth to me and being able to soar against the wind from on high is an experience I would gladly die for. That is what Supes and the Hawks share, and the image of Baharroth literally descending like the Sun's own talon makes me bubble with excitement. If it wasn't so money-intensive I would happily do an Unbound list formed entirely of Swooping Hawks and led by Baharroth.

Kjal
07-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Long Fangs!
A box of these were my first models and that first love never died!

Rory Wildwards
07-16-2014, 07:06 AM
I know some people think they are silly but I really like my thunderwolf cavalry. Not so much for the fluff but my first game of 6th ed, I used them. they seemed to shrug most things off their shields, took out a bunch of stuff and generally where a hoot.

Psychosplodge
07-16-2014, 08:27 AM
On foot assault marines.
From the old metals with the old assault sprues, to the modern plastics, they're just such a versatile unit to sit down and model/paint.
And the bolter isn't in the way of the chest piece...

MajorMcNicol
07-16-2014, 08:40 AM
I always have been a sucker for straight up IG Infantry Platoons. Man the walls, men!*

*[and women]

Path Walker
07-16-2014, 08:57 AM
The more I think about this and read other peoples, the more things fire off in my head, and the more ideas I get for units I want to try out for future armies. That’s usually all it takes for me, I started my Chaos Space Marine collection (small and in its infancy for sure) because I really loved the idea of Possessed Marines, after reading the Horus Heresy books, no more details in case of spoilers, but yeah, I have about 15 Possessed and I’ll be eagerly awaiting the Gal Vorbak from Forge World!

40kGamer
07-16-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a favorite unit for every army but my vote goes to swooping hawks! I've used them over several editions as I just love the way they look and play.

CoffeeGrunt
07-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Fire Warriors - my lists basically revolve around a, "Babysit the Fire Warrior" strategy. I just love how they look and how I imagine them moving up field, bailing out of Devilfishes and coordinating volleys of Pulse death.

In fact, through Tau Battlesuits on that. The Riptide just looks so damn cool, though he's target #1 every time I run him and going second means he eats a lot of Lascannons. Crisis Suits are the same, though the dated models for them aren't my favourite, every one of mine has been modified to at least some degree. Hell, I even love Hammerheads. It might be simpler to summarise this as, "The Tau Codex minus the Fliers." I love Kroot with their strange, Halo Jackal-esque look of pigeony doom.

Don't even get me started on the Leman Russ and other Guard tanks, though. I have too many favourite toys to really choose one!

This Dave
07-16-2014, 10:38 AM
I'll add my vote for the good old Leman Russ battle tank. As an armored vehicle it makes my teeth hurt. Those flat armor panels! Those shot traps! Those rivets! That non existent ground clearance! Those stupidly narrow tracks! How does anyone in the turret survive the main gun's breech when it fires? How does more than one crewman fit in there anyways?

But it's the very same goofy 40Kness that appeals to me. It's the Imperium war machine in a nutshell, all brute force and ignorance. Put the largest gun on the thing that allows it to still move. Then put more guns on it just in case. Crew comfort and survivability be damned! Now throw a ton of them at the enemy, we'll make more. This is probably why I have 26 assembled and painted and several still on sprues lying around.

This is also why I love its bigger brother the Baneblade. The Leman Russ has flaws? Well then make it BIGGER, that'll solve everything. :)

Path Walker
07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
I'll add my vote for the good old Leman Russ battle tank. As an armored vehicle it makes my teeth hurt. Those flat armor panels! Those shot traps! Those rivets! That non existent ground clearance! Those stupidly narrow tracks! How does anyone in the turret survive the main gun's breech when it fires? How does more than one crewman fit in there anyways?

But it's the very same goofy 40Kness that appeals to me. It's the Imperium war machine in a nutshell, all brute force and ignorance. Put the largest gun on the thing that allows it to still move. Then put more guns on it just in case. Crew comfort and survivability be damned! Now throw a ton of them at the enemy, we'll make more. This is probably why I have 26 assembled and painted and several still on sprues lying around.

This is also why I love its bigger brother the Baneblade. The Leman Russ has flaws? Well then make it BIGGER, that'll solve everything. :)

I love the fluff that says the STC for the Leman Russ tank was originally for a tractor for Agri-World Colonie but its engine was that efficient, it can burn pretty much anything and make it go, that it was useful as a tank for the massive and disparate guard, so they slapped on a turret and called it a day!

CoffeeGrunt
07-16-2014, 12:26 PM
I have to admit, I really didn't like the Russ' design when I started playing. However, it really grew on me over time, that mish-mash of the worst aspects of pre-Cold War tank design. It has a lot of character in its ugly, brutish design, unlike the Rhino chassis which is just a box. I have to be honest, the disappointing tanks are why I can't get into Space Marines.

Demonus
07-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Ive always loved Wraithguard. I believe it was back in 2nd or 3rd edition they were av10 and had a chance to stand back up. Loved the models, loved the wraith cannon.

Wizzardx3
07-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Necron Wraiths...

DWest
07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
I have to admit, I really didn't like the Russ' design when I started playing. However, it really grew on me over time, that mish-mash of the worst aspects of pre-Cold War tank design. It has a lot of character in its ugly, brutish design, unlike the Rhino chassis which is just a box. I have to be honest, the disappointing tanks are why I can't get into Space Marines.
Personally, I like the old-style Predator tanks, with the dome turret at the back. It really does something for the look, and I'm glad FW brought it back with the Deimos. Right now, I think the Sicaran is actually my favorite design, being the ******* child of the Land Raider and Predator. Something about those huge track pods just screams "awesome", and the amount of lead it can throw for as cheap as it is (points, not the resin itself T_T) is pretty sweet, too.

Also, Knights. The design of the old epic Reaver is one of the things that caught my eye and drew me in to 40k, and the plastic Knight nicely echoes that shape, in a form that's manageable in price and size.

CoffeeGrunt
07-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Oh yes, the Sicaran is definitely the sexy. Someone at my LGS rolls with one as a Predator Annihilator, he's got a very Heresy-heavy counts-as army for Chaos. Was tempted to do the same 'til I saw the price...

Bubble-top turrets make it look so much better.

Path Walker
07-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Also, Knights. The design of the old epic Reaver is one of the things that caught my eye and drew me in to 40k, and the plastic Knight nicely echoes that shape, in a form that's manageable in price and size.

If it wasn't for the box art of Titan Legions, (and, i'm not sure if this is real or my 20 year old memories playing tricks on me, Liverpool's store having a 7ft Cardboard cut out of the Imperator) I don't know if I'd have ever walked into a Games Workshop, the Imperator Titan, as ridiculous as it is, still holds a dear place in my heart.

Halollet
07-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Favorite model? For me, it would be my GK Land Raider Crusader. It hits so hard and carries so much and just really tough to take out (most of the time). I've run over lots of armies with that thing! :)

Charon
07-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Striking Scorpions... very cool theme, melee, nice models and amazing gadgets

Denzark
07-17-2014, 03:30 AM
My favourite unit used to be a 3.5/4th ed Berzerker unit. 8 men, getting a free champion for using the numbers of the gods, hitting at I5.

Happy days.

skeletoro
07-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Didn't realise he could use Ork Only Wargear Cards :P

I did say don't ask, didn't I?? ;) I think he got it through a strategy card that gave him an extra random wargear card.

Then he was deployed in a trench, and couldn't get out, and a spore mine (is that what they're called?) landed on his head and he died. Mohhh.

Path Walker
07-17-2014, 04:31 AM
I did say don't ask, didn't I?? ;) I think he got it through a strategy card that gave him an extra random wargear card.

Then he was deployed in a trench, and couldn't get out, and a spore mine (is that what they're called?) landed on his head and he died. Mohhh.

Haha, I'm glad I asked, got to love 2nd Edition! People decry the "randomness" of 40k don't remember the time a lucky Stratergy care draw could wipe out most of the enemy before a who was fired! Bloody Virus Outbreak

Psychosplodge
07-17-2014, 04:43 AM
Virus bombs were fun, unless you were on the receiving end.

Of course then you both had to redeploy and start from scratch.

OKnights112
07-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Dreadnoughts!!

The first thing I ever bought was the 3rd Edition Space Marine Codex and I had to have a Dreadnought. They have never been the greatest but all the cool fluff on them is just to cool.

jason_satiion
07-18-2014, 09:39 AM
I try to use my Kasrkin models any chance I get. I love the model and when I started my guard army I couldn't wait to buy and paint them. I like the new Scion models (especially because of the berets!!!) but there is a part of me that wishes I had bought more Kasrkin before they were phased out.

CoffeeGrunt
07-18-2014, 10:06 AM
The Wyvern is a model I'm really loving right now. It's surprisingly brutal on the table, especially against hordes of junk units! Not to mention that it simply looks really cool, close second goes to my Banewolf for many of the same reasons.

Tomgar
07-18-2014, 12:10 PM
The good old meat-and-potatoes Tactical Squad. They just represent what it is to be a Space Marine to me. Every marine (mostly in the fluff) is a hero in his own right, an adaptable, mighty warrior and utter killing machine. But the tactical squad represents their supreme training and ability to work with their brothers to accomplish anything. Discipline, skill and honour. Love it.

Honourable mention to Legion of the Damned. Always loved the idea of mysterious, ghostly Space Marines that arrive in the most hopeless times, protecting their former brothers and inspiring them to victory before disappearing into the fog of war. Badass.

Mr Mystery
07-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Sternguard are another one I really like.

To me, every Marine should at least be Sternguard. Always outnumbered, rarely outgunned. To mangle an Apple phrase 'there's a bolt round for that'.

I'm half way tempted to make an Unbound list out of nothing but Sternguard and Vanguard veterans, plus some Terminators. Full on veteran incursion force, with Drop Pods too.

Mortagon
07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Obliterators, the swiss army knife of Chaos. I love the techno virus stuff and how you have a weapon for every occasion. With 2 wounds and toughness 5 w/mark of nurgle and a 2+/5++ save they are really hard to put down and they can deep strike so you can get behind those pesky tanks and artillery pieces.

Psychosplodge
07-21-2014, 03:00 AM
Sternguard are another one I really like.

To me, every Marine should at least be Sternguard. Always outnumbered, rarely outgunned. To mangle an Apple phrase 'there's a bolt round for that'.

I'm half way tempted to make an Unbound list out of nothing but Sternguard and Vanguard veterans, plus some Terminators. Full on veteran incursion force, with Drop Pods too.

Well the fluff is there...

Victus Mortecarium
07-21-2014, 03:17 AM
Company Master Balthasar. I commissioned an amazing paintjob on him, and I pretend he is me, "Victus Mortecarium". I prefer smaller games, where I think he looks great.

Wolfshade
07-21-2014, 05:16 AM
"Victus Mortecarium" - Living the beloved of death? the death-loving that sustains life?

eldargal
07-21-2014, 06:00 AM
Howling Banshees.:(

CoffeeGrunt
07-21-2014, 06:33 AM
I want to love Vespid. I had list of parts to make badass ODST-type Guardsmen as Allies to myTau, with amped-up Hotshot Lasguns, rotor-jump packs and tough Carapace Armour.

But they're just so bleh for the points cost and slot. As a Tau player, you have to ask yourself, "Piranhas or Markerlights? Vespid or Markerlights? Sunshark or PAHAHAHAHAH!"

There's one, simple thing they could do to make them excellent - let them buy EMP Grenades. At 2pts each, they'll be 20pts each total, but will hit at I6 overtaking most Walkers in the game with Haywire, and are fast enough to get there, also filling a role Tau really lack as far as killing hard armour. C'mon GeeDubz, make the Stingwings cool again!

Alternatively, a more expensive upgrade to make their Neutron Blasters Haywire could work.

Lucidum
07-21-2014, 01:23 PM
The Tyranid Lictor, and especially Deathleaper

….no, i’m not just trolling with an intentionally bad unit, i swear :P

I started 40k with 2nd edition (or, rather, just as it was ending…), and fell in love with the 2nd ed model of the Lictor. I never got to use its rules, but when 3rd ed rolled around I loved using them despite their relative ineffectiveness. They’ve sorta been slowly de-powered through each new edition, but I love the concept of the unit, and I’ve owned one for every new edition.

Then Deathleaper showed up in the Rise of the Swarm campaign up in Canada, and then became canonized with an entry in the 5th and 6th ed codexes, and while many don’t like him, I think he’s a brilliant choice to both the background and the game, and his model is absolutely fantastic!

macguy4321
07-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Well Fluff-wise I love Colonel Shaffer and his Last Chancers. Love the Dirty Dozen concept