PDA

View Full Version : Future "Vs Boxed Sets"

Bigred
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
It appear GW is going to turn these 2-army boxed sets into a regular "thing"

via Voice of the Chaos Gods (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Faeit212/~3/0ijqKGlCUMU/future-of-campaign-box-sets.html) 7-9-2014

GW will release other Campagin Books with included old expansions from the softcover era. Storm Claw will be not the last Campaign based boxed set, every half year there comes a new boxed sets of this kind. This Sets can be imperial guard vs. eldar, blood angels vs orks or other Themes.

The Mexican Ork (https://www.facebook.com/mexork?ref=br_tf) says:

Stormclaw is not replacing DV, and is a Limited Edition set. The new minis will be limited to that box.

Houghten
07-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Well, it's one way to sell character blisters...

Cutter
07-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Well, it's one way to sell character blisters...

Tooling the sprues for a couple of character models vs tooling the likes of a AoBR or DV box is just much cheaper I guess. Plus it lets them shift stock of stuff that isn't moving so well without using the words 'sale' or 'discount'. I fully intend to buy a copy of Stormclaw, but its lack of regular run-of-the-mill-style Boyz is a bit of a head scratcher.

StraightSilver
07-10-2014, 08:48 AM
I actually really like this idea and think it is definitely a step forward, and a much better way to push the mini rule book as it entices both new and old players.

The only issue I have is how limited are they. I suspect these are splash releases only available for a limited time. I would rather they were available for 6 months until the next one came out, as i would like to to get this set as it is actually good value for money, but don't need either army and they would sit in my already huge painting pile for months.

I also think the whole vs aspect is nice but think maybe another type of set to do would be a Battle Brothers set, which is two armies that could be used by two players as enemies, or as one army by one person or allies for an existing army.

I know that sounds crazy, but a Dark Eldar and Eldar deal, or a Space Marine and Guard deal, or a Chaos Space marines and Daemons deal would probably sell well and i would be more inclined to buy it as i could use both lots of minis but a new player could still share.

DrLove42
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
At the risk of sounding crazy, i hope they sell a version without the mini rule book. Or else if i buy 2 or 3 boxes for multiple armoes, unique character models and campaign books, i could end up with multiple versions of the mini book!

Houghten
07-10-2014, 11:34 AM
It'll be the third limited edition mini 7th rulebook they've released so far.

Wouldn't wanna be the person who got the Collector's Edition, the Librarium and Sanctus Reach. You wouldn't be able to move 'em on again for even half as much.

(Edit: Also I think if you're buying it for the campaign book you'll be disappointed. I don't remember reading in the leaked WD pictures that it came with any books other than The Rules.)

Erik Setzer
07-10-2014, 11:41 AM
It'll be the third limited edition mini 7th rulebook they've released so far.

Wouldn't wanna be the person who got the Collector's Edition, the Librarium and Sanctus Reach. You wouldn't be able to move 'em on again for even half as much.

(Edit: Also I think if you're buying it for the campaign book you'll be disappointed. I don't remember reading in the leaked WD pictures that it came with any books other than The Rules.)

It has a "campaign supplement" with it, that has rules for the models in the box, plus some other stuff. Not much, but it's also the only place you'll find rules for the two characters, apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=738812456184352&set=pcb.738813462850918&type=1&theater

DrBored
07-10-2014, 12:00 PM
There are certainly worse ways to start a Space Wolves or Ork army.

I do hope they come out with more of these with different combinations. Even if they have a few models that you don't like you split the cost with a friend and at the very least have two forces that are, according to GW at least, relatively balanced. Plus, unique character models. That seems to get people drooling pretty quick.

The Herald of Corrosion
07-10-2014, 04:55 PM
There are certainly worse ways to start a Space Wolves or Ork army.

I do hope they come out with more of these with different combinations. Even if they have a few models that you don't like you split the cost with a friend and at the very least have two forces that are, according to GW at least, relatively balanced. Plus, unique character models. That seems to get people drooling pretty quick.

I'd love it if they used them to showcase different force sorts as well. Or maybe old rivalries. Fists vs Warriors, Ulthwe vs Chaos, Valhallans vs Orks, etc.

Asymmetrical Xeno
07-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Wouldnt surprise me if the plastic characters are limited edition, they seem to be able to knock these things out pretty easily - and im guessing it's a combination of them being small sprues with few parts and probably Aluminium moulds (which are a lot cheaper but wear out fast).

thearcani
07-10-2014, 05:26 PM
I remember when I first got into WFB with the Battle for Skull Pass box. It had a mini (but complete) rule book withe the two standard armies. I wanted dwarves and my friend wanted Orks. We both ended up buying the box set, swapping the models we didn't want, and ended up having two okay starter armies with the rule book for a very reasonable price (by GW standards). If these box sets will allow for that sort of thing to happen, I would be ecstatic. I haven't gotten the new rulebook yet, so I will look at this when it comes out. Maybe start a new army :)

Dual_Face
07-10-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm on board for this. It'll make it much easier for me to expand and play new armies and get more friends into the game

Opus Krokus
07-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I really hope this is true! I will try to buy every set that comes out so I can dabble with all of the armies. Someone else mentioned that it would be nice if these are six month runs instead instant (or close to instant). That would be my second best case scenario. The best (not gonna happen) is if each boxed like this became a permanent fixture.

Wils7
07-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I think the new VS box set idea is a good one for GW. But I doubt many current players would buy them, unless they want to start one or both of the armies in the box, then it might be a good way to start another army. I wonder if quarterly would be better than every 1/2 a year? GW's been all about getting a lot out fast recently.

Rissan4ever
07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Yes, but this is on top of their regular release schedule, so I think every 6 months is a reasonable pace.

elcheapodeca
07-10-2014, 10:01 PM
This seems like a rather good idea. I think I'll end up buying Stormclaw mostly for the special characters and the discount.

StraightSilver
07-11-2014, 02:58 AM
I have worked out that if I buy Storm Claw from my local independent (Dark Sphere) it will cost £60.

For that I get some Space Wolves which I have been umming and ahhing about starting for a while now, and some Orks which I just started to get the itch to start when I saw the new Freebooterz, plus the mini rule book.

I hadn't gotten around to buying the full rule book yet, which will cost me £45. And to be honest having looked through the new edition the only thing that really interested me was the rules part as the rest is pretty much a repeat of previous editions (admittedly apart from all the photos of painted figs).

So for an extra £15 I get lots of plastic crack.

This is a very smart move from GW, as I will now buy the start of 2 new armies that I don't really need, just to pay £15 more for a rule book I don't really want....

Damn you, damn you all to hell.... :)

Vanguard
07-11-2014, 03:40 AM
I personally love this idea, not for the mini rulebook or he limited edition stuff, but just having a variety of ways into the hobby other than a single starter set. It's one of the biggest barriers to entry in my opinion, being straight jacketed into whatever the beginner's box offered.

DavidDraper
07-11-2014, 06:59 AM
I personally love this idea, not for the mini rulebook or he limited edition stuff, but just having a variety of ways into the hobby other than a single starter set. It's one of the biggest barriers to entry in my opinion, being straight jacketed into whatever the beginner's box offered.

I completely agree with this. I don't think I'd ever buy one of the 'starter sets' unless one or both of the armies were armies I collected, but I think it is a cool way to get people into the hobby and I think it makes for an interesting buzz. I like the idea of the game focusing on certain fights at the stores or having 4-6 month campaigns to play through with your friends based on material from GW. Yeah, I know its a way for them to make money, but it also seems to offer a way to give some structure to the gaming environment.

D

FifteenHours
07-11-2014, 09:39 AM

I highly agree. I feel this will definitely open up more starter possibilities for many people. Getting into the hobby can certainly be daunting when starting from scratch, so having more options for people who aren't sure quite what they want to get, and just want to get themselves started quick, is certainly a perk.

gory_v
07-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Certainly a decent way to shore up any army if you find someone to go halves or if you happen to own both armies in the set. Though I can't see myself doing that with this one unless there is that mini rulebook inclusion...

Gryphon
07-11-2014, 08:59 PM
And there is a mini rulebook. The Stormclaw set just went live tonight on the GW site, while supplies last. I wouldn't mind the special characters and the campaign book though. And with a bit of work, I might be able to take the space wolf character and convert him into Kardan Stronos of the Iron Hands.

Opus Krokus
07-11-2014, 10:07 PM
I ended up ordering two...

Asymmetrical Xeno
07-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Not including the plastic HQ's, mini rulebook and campaign pamphlet - the contents individually cost £104.50 - so that's not a bad saving.

eldargal
07-12-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm kind of torn. On one hand I've bought every such set GW have released, on the other I don't like the Space Wolves 'cept the Wolf Guard and I really don't need more Orks.

Mr Mystery
07-12-2014, 02:23 PM
i'm kind of need more orks.

ftfy.

lets_get_em_boyz
07-13-2014, 02:39 AM
If you do split it with someone like i intend to do it's quite the value.

elcheapodeca
07-13-2014, 10:21 PM
It is kind of disappointing in how limited the release was. I was planning on pre-ordering it yesterday only to find out that it had already sold out. :(

xFallenx
07-14-2014, 11:07 AM
At the risk of sounding crazy, i hope they sell a version without the mini rule book. Or else if i buy 2 or 3 boxes for multiple armoes, unique character models and campaign books, i could end up with multiple versions of the mini book!

I'm not too sure you'll have a hard time unloading the extra mini RB's. I won't be looking to pick up another army in this edition so buying another box set just to get the mini RB but I will be keeping an eye out for the mini RB. I can't be the only one...

John Grammaticus
07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
It is kind of disappointing in how limited the release was. I was planning on pre-ordering it yesterday only to find out that it had already sold out. :(

Not sure how many units GW has shipped overseas but it's still on preorder on the UK site, either not as popular or greater supply? I wonder if they did a time-limited order window (e.g. 2 weeks) and produced them to order whether they would sell more and not annoy everyone so much? Probably as the new DV set is coming out they were relying on everyone going for the mini rules in stormclaw on impulse not realising DV was being re-released with it in too?

deinol
07-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Not sure how many units GW has shipped overseas but it's still on preorder on the UK site, either not as popular or greater supply? I wonder if they did a time-limited order window (e.g. 2 weeks) and produced them to order whether they would sell more and not annoy everyone so much? Probably as the new DV set is coming out they were relying on everyone going for the mini rules in stormclaw on impulse not realising DV was being re-released with it in too?

Neither set has Eldar or Imperial Guard so I don't want either box. I'll probably see about picking up a copy of the mini-rules second hand, but only if I find it for a reasonable price.

Rough Touch
07-17-2014, 12:47 PM

you could sell one to me, and get some cash back