PDA

View Full Version : Round and Square Bases: Which one is required?

MUMBLES
08-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Specifically, I have a fight coming up in the 2nd round of 'Ard Boyz, and knowing my luck, I'll get paired with him. He uses the "fatecrusher" build consisting of a bloodthirster, fateweaver, 24 bloodcrushers, and about 60 plaguebearers. Now to the real matter:

He plays with square bases, presumably because he plays it in fantasy too, and I think it's wrong given that every other 40k model besides daemons and vehicles have round bases. The problem arises in that in the BRB pp.3

"Citadel miniatures are normally supplied with a plastic base. If so, they must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in the game."

"...mounting your models on different-sized bases might affect the way they interact with the rules, make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this."

In 'ard boyz with a potential 2500pt army on the line, should I take exception to this? Is it illegal? Am I just being an asshat for even concerning myself with it?

Rangerrob
08-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Sorry but, Yeah it is legal. They are mounted on the bases that the models came with.

Heck I have Ogryn, Wraithlords and Avatar and War Walkers on square bases, cause that is what they came with.

BuFFo
08-03-2009, 10:14 PM
40k only requires the base the model came with.

Fantasy is the game with the 'square' requirement.

Great thing about demon armies... Once you own a demon army for one game system, in all square bases, you can jump right into the other system!

AdamHarry
08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I'd ask the local tourney organizer before you goto the tourney what will be enforced. Maybe they haven't thought about it. Either way, it's good to find out ahead of time simply so you know what to expect. It's not fun to assume one thing then show up and find out the opposite. especailly at a 'ardboyz event.

ThreadNecromancer
01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
they wouldnt let my buddy play with his chaos demon allies because they were on square bases at my local GW.... i mean, theyre still GW product right?!?!

Anakzar
01-04-2013, 09:50 PM
The newest deamon boxes come with both round and square bases... Just tossing that out there.

I think that 40k is ment to be played with round bases now... But its hard to ask someone that has painted and well bases models to put new bases on them. If making new ones those that play both should think about magnets.

I went ahead and rebased my old square based tyranids... I had not played since 2nd Ed before starting up again at the end of 5th last year. Warriors, Carnifex, Hivetyrant, Zonanthrope, Lictor and Biovore were all on same sized square bases back then.

Denzark
01-05-2013, 05:58 AM
You could stick the square bases to te model as normal. Then, the corner-less round base could be jammed up its arse with a blob of blue tack. to save fannying around with magnets.

Colonel Bindoff
01-05-2013, 06:49 AM
You could stick the square bases to te model as normal. Then, the corner-less round base could be jammed up its arse with a blob of blue tack. to save fannying around with magnets.

Yeah I'd do that. All daemon players I know have square bases: I usually have round bases with me for one reason or another. If I felt a guy was pulling a fast one I'd pick up his model, put the round base under it and re-measure! It's never been needed though.

Tynskel
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Necromancers!!!

btw, whatever knucklehead wouldn't let you play: you should never play with them ever again.

walrusman999
01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
I would like to supply a more Geometrically nice solution to this. The area of a square base is higher than those of the round bases. They are both 25 mm in diameter or width (or larger depending on the model) so they still fall within the 1 inch scale of the game. You really are benefiting from him playing with square bases as you will have a slightly larger area to hit him.

I will say that this difference is almost negligible but it was worth mentioning.