PDA

View Full Version : Help Stripping Plastic

wittdooley
01-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Simple Green is what you want.

karandras
01-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Basic stuff I guess, but I was wondering if anyone had some secret for stripping painted plastic minis that wasn't too rough on the skin. I have used Pinesol with mixed results, often soaking for days on end and repeatedly scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Carb cleaner works fantastic for metal miniatures but melts plastic and is a little rough on the skin. I have had a few people tell me "Simple Green" is good stuff, but figured I would throw a post up here before I went and bought anything. Thanks!

Lord Azaghul
01-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Simple Green is what you want.

Yes, yes yes.

Its pretty fast. Soaking for about 6-8 hours gets most paint off, older paint will require a good solid overnighter. My only complant about the stuff is the smell, but it NEVER harms the plastic, and doesn't eat your skin.

Kramanal
01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
What is Simple Green?
Is it a washing up liquid?
Is it available in UK?

Lord Azaghul
01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
http://buy.simplegreen.com/

Its some where between a really strong soap and an industrial strength cleaning agent.
Looks like is may only be North America - you may be able to ship it in, but its probably not worth the $$ at that point.

evilamericorp
01-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I have never had problems with Pinesol. If you use decent paints and primers (aka nothing oil-based), 9-10 hours in a pinesol bath and a good toothbrush scrubbing will get most everything off. The only problems I've had are from plastic models with low quality or too-thick primer coats, and those are usually impossible to salvage.

david5th
I have found a UK stockist - http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/

Which product is it specifically. Is it the graffiti remover or something else. I REALLY need to know please.

Lord Azaghul
I have found a UK stockist - http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/

Which product is it specifically. Is it the graffiti remover or something else. I REALLY need to know please.

Just the basic 'simple green' multipurpose. I picked up mine in a large 1 gal, jug.

Thor
While we're at it... Does anyone have any comments on using Isopropyl Alcohol? Since Simple Green isn't available here, I'm thinking about trying Isopropyl Alcohol on my bargained plastics. Any tips on that?

Akkon Sek
01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Brake fluid is an excellent alternative to Simple Green. Not quite as gentle in my experience, so monitor your plastic.

Never tried IsoAlc.

rle68
01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
if simple green is not available brake fluid works as well

karandras
01-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the responses! I'll give the Simple Green a go.

Vorlon
01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
I used Simple Green for a while before a friend recommended I try something called Purple Power. Works faster than simple green with ALOT less scrubbing...and your armies dont smell like a pine forest.

Dark_Templar
01-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Simple Green FTW.

I soak mine between 24hrs and 2wks depending on how many projects I have going. The paint literally falls off metal minis and a quick scrub with a medium toothbrush will get rid of all paint layers on plastic except possibly some GW Primer (although it thins the layer to the point where it is irrelevant).

Awesome stuff. And well priced in my opinion, considering how much you get and how often you can reuse it.

Also, the general Multipurpose Simple Green is all you need.

Kramanal
01-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the link to the website.
I will order a 5gl tub tomorrow.

catalyst2
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Another alternative is to use Dettol, 1:1 diluted with water. I stripped a basilisk clean in less than 6 hours at the end of last year. A light scrub with a soft toothbrush and the model was nearly spotless. The plastic was untouched by it.

Bonus: a heavy support option smelling of fresh and clean! :rolleyes:

Akimbo Lizard
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
...and your armies dont smell like a pine forest.

and this is a bad thing;)

Kramanal
01-20-2010, 05:53 AM
Just ordered a 10lt tub, only £56.78 seems great value if it works.
Will try some as soon as it arrives and post results.

johnnyfoodmaster
01-20-2010, 06:10 AM
You can avoid the models smelling like Simple green if you dilute it a bit. The trade is that they will have to soak longer. I usually do a 1:1 mix with water and SG and leave it over a weekend. The paint is usually falling off when I get to them. Use an old tooth brush to scrub em then jusr rinse them with water and you've go almost brand new models.

FYI: if you want to clean metal models, use denatured alcohol. It smells terrible and you should wear gloves, but it eats paint like nothing else. I got some great (and poorly painted) old metal space wolf hqs from ebay and in 3 hours they looked like they just came out of the blister :)