PDA

View Full Version : New to Warmachine - First attempt at a list

Liazardman
01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Hey all,
Played a couple games on Sat using proxy and the quick start rules (including the base starter box). Found the game rather enjoyable but had real issues with getting the game moving quickly (it seemed each game quickly descended into jacks smacking each other in the middle and then stayed there for awhile)

I found that I would like to see some different models than are in the starter kit so i quickly made up this list for Cygnar:

Nemo
Hunter
Lancer
Centurion

Nemos model and extra focus in addition to his offencive electrical blast sold me on him.

I like the idea of the hunter since i found I only had the dice to boost 1 shots atk from the charger, and the hunter ignoring armour of the big guys is rather attractive

Lancer i found the shock weapons and the fact its an arch node amazing ( i want to use the thorn model for it)

And Centurion i just love the model and i think it makes a good replacement of the old ironclad.

In the future i want to add some stormguard and a Jr. Warcaster to handle the hunter... other than that i really have no clue where to go

stampdog316
01-19-2010, 06:16 AM
I don't play Cygnar, but the jacks you have are all versatile and are commonly seen in Cygnar armies. The junior warcaster is also considered a must have in most Cygnar forces.
Speaking as someone who plays against Cygnar, I really hate facing trenchers, long gunners, or gun mages. Depending on your personal preference, I would pick up a unit of one of these next. You might want to invest in some mechanics as well.
Another option since you are starting out, is just getting another caster. One of the good things about Warmachine is you can buy one model and it is almost like getting a whole new army.

GentleBen
01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Well you've got some 'jacks. Maybe you should go for some mechanics. Cygnar has the best mechanics in the game, and with warjacks harder than ever to take down in MkII they're more useful than ever. Stormsmiths are also useful and fall in with Nemo's lightning theme. The disruption they cause will drive your opponents crazy and even against hordes the ability to pick things off regardless of their defense or line of sight is too useful to pass up. I also always recommend the Black 13th although Nemo doesn't do anything in particularly useful for them. They bring a lot to the table for their points cost. Longgunners are also a great investment. the Thunderheads a great model and a fun piece but I think its a bit overcosted in MkII. You also definitely need that Junior Warcaster and a Squire would be a great choice as well.

As far as your games taking forever, as you get better at Warmachine two things will happen. First you will get better at setting up combos and find ways to wreck stuff fast that you never thought of before. Second, its like any game, in that once you get the hang of the rules more, things will go faster and it won't feel like such a quagmire.

Hope there's something helpful in there.

Liazardman
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking as i build up i love the Gunmages models (especially the officer and adept) and wanted to include some stormguard (the halbread ones). Other than that If thunderhead wasn't so expensive points wise id go for him. I also really like the cav models, but I really have no clue what place they play in the game (since even infantry seem secondary). The other option ive been looking at is the Firefly model... while not released till march it really looks like it will add some more eletrical power at range...

Irdion
01-20-2010, 05:19 AM
You've got a pretty solid starter list, and Cygnar is a pretty forgiving army if you're just starting out. Nemo is my personal favorite caster, and I've been using him since 2005. He has massive strength versus warjack heavy armies, but really suffers against most enemies from Hordes, where he has to rely more on things like Chain Lightning to get the job done. The Hunter is a Sniper, it won;t win you the game but it can deliver that key shot you need to tilt things in your favor. The Charger I still haven;t decided on, as while it is an incredibly useful utility jack, it suffers by failing to specialize at all. It is nonetheless a great interference runner, and I fully endorse getting acquainted with the little jack to make your own decision. The Centurion is the only thing which you may not find to be your favorite thing. If you don't like the game to get bogged down in the center of the table, you probably want to avoid the Centurion (who espouses the "hold the line" policy). Perhaps a better option would be the ubiquitous Ironclad (whose ability to knock down targets is great for pulling off subsequent shooting), or even the Thunderhead you mentioned, as it is Nemo's personal creation and would fit into your army quite nicely fluffwise :)

The thing you want to be careful of is someone who notes that you have only warjacks in your force (especially other Cygnar players), and capitalizes on Disrupting and/or using special rules like Armor-piercing or combined attacks to take down your warjacks really quickly. Consider using the terrain very defensively, forcing him to come to you on your terms. A good amount of the time you will have range on your opponent, so be sure to use that aggressively. All told though, have fun with it, and good luck for your first few games.

Nick
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
The Squire is a must have in my lists.

Irdion
01-21-2010, 03:46 AM
The Squire is useful, and it does provide a number of quite handy features, but it also gets you very accustomed to a certain playstyle dependent on the little guy. Most opposing players will just lob some ordnance or whatever minor ranged abilities they have your way to kill it off, and then you're out 2 points. The Squire is a quite expensive in constructing a list, and (in my opinion) is most of the time not worth it when you could take a unit of mechanics or a unit attachment for the same price.