PDA

View Full Version : Plague Marines w/ Smoky Bases

hyudun
06-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Just finished these guys - second time doing plague marines (first time really sucked, so I stripped them and re-did them; feel better about the results this time) and decided to try to base them as if they're walking through some nice, thick toxic gas. Used some cotton balls I dyed yellow-green.

They're all individually based - can pull them right out for playing - and the display stand is styrofoam with holes cut out, not that you can see it.

Darren Richardson
06-29-2014, 04:12 AM
Your gonna hate this, but I'm really sorry I do not like them at all.....

They are far too bland, the colours used make them look like statues, you need a spot colour to contrast with the pallette you have used and use it to pick out details, the models will stand out better then.

Though saying that I do like the conversion work you've done to your DV Hellbrute.

euansmith
06-29-2014, 07:05 AM
I rather like the muted pallet. Though a stand out spot colour could give them a bit of zing. The misty mustard gas base is a great idea, well executed.

hyudun
06-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Your gonna hate this, but I'm really sorry I do not like them at all.....

They are far too bland, the colours used make them look like statues, you need a spot colour to contrast with the pallette you have used and use it to pick out details, the models will stand out better then.

Though saying that I do like the conversion work you've done to your DV Hellbrute.

I think the overly dulled effect may been partially the fault of the Testors Dullcote spray I used (I kept on dropping them and chipping edges, especially on the hellbrute). Not entirely sure what to do at this point to restore color without undoing all the careful application of rust and typhus corrosion which no longer show up well in the photos...

DWest
06-29-2014, 10:47 AM
I've seen techniques before using glue and paint or ink to make a "slime" that has some bulk to it being used on various models, maybe try something like that (definitely on a test model first! don't wreck the nice paintjobs) in a contrasting color. Dab it around pipes, vents, gaping holes to pull the eye to them?