PDA

View Full Version : I think this is a hoax/forgery.

Lord-Boofhead
06-28-2014, 11:48 AM
I recently stumbled upon this and while it is done up to look like it is some thing from GW using the WD weekly fonts and all but I'm 98% sure its a forgery.

I post it here to see if anyone can prove me wrong

I find it mostly annoying as it repeats the "Squats was etted by the 'nid, hur dur!" fallacy which annoys the crap out of me.

Also assuming it is fake the mind boggles why you would do it.

Deadlift
06-28-2014, 11:58 AM
I'd have to agree with you it's a fake, but with GW who knows.

Paulo187
06-28-2014, 01:56 PM
While the font and text colors look authentic, the casual tone, the turns of phrase, and the colloquialisms are a little to jokey. Specifically in a non-British way. I call it a fake and a fake it is.

vharing
06-28-2014, 02:01 PM
In the back of the Dark Millenium book there is a section that has part of that text but I dont remember the part about squats in there

DrLove42
06-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Definently fake.

Not sure the main text font is correct, the lines are too long to fit in a WD article and lets face it.....its never going to happen people!

Monkey Tom
06-28-2014, 04:42 PM
This is in issue 11 of White Dwarf. I can't tell you the page number as I've only got the digital version and for some reason it says there are 85 pages...stoopid gizmology. But this is definitely there.

mathhammer
06-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Page 29 White Dwarf 11 (new format)

Copied out of a digital version.

nothing fake, squats are dead...

DETHMOKIL
06-29-2014, 04:11 AM
Yeah, even if fake, all that info is really common, and there is even more hard info in books anyway. I think this is from when the Ogryn box came out.

+++++++

The whole squats being eaten by 'nids was a off hand comment from a reader question, back in the day in a White Dwarf. 'Nids only show up in 751.M41, the 'fact' that good ol' commissar Yarkick defended Golgotha Hive with a regiment of squats in 941.M41 helps to point that out. Dan Abnet mentions in Leigon some short Imperial Army clan forces that are extremely prevalent. That would make more sense that they were purged only after the whole chaos makes mutties and chaos is bad realization.

+++++++

daboarder
06-29-2014, 05:35 AM
the squats as a race are eaten by nids.

of course there are still billions of em, but they are spread throughout the galaxy, if you want to model up and or include squats in your 40k there is nothing stopping you and nothing in that idea that contradicts the wider ideal that their home worlds were lost.

This Dave
06-29-2014, 08:26 AM
the squats as a race are eaten by nids.

of course there are still billions of em, but they are spread throughout the galaxy, if you want to model up and or include squats in your 40k there is nothing stopping you and nothing in that idea that contradicts the wider ideal that their home worlds were lost.

The wierd thing is that in the Dark Millenium book (page 344 of the e-version under "Abhumans") it talks about Squats but says nothing about the race being Tyranid kibble. It just describes them as one of the most common officially sanctioned abhuman races.

Lord-Boofhead
06-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Of course its the white Dwarf I can't seem to lay my hands on for some reason, i know I bought it...

So its a WD 'writter' not doing his research.

Squats are not extinct, they were retconed out of existence for 3 editions and then reappeared in 6th rewound to their early RT fluff.

- - - Updated - - -

The wierd thing is that in the Dark Millenium book (page 344 of the e-version under "Abhumans") it talks about Squats but says nothing about the race being Tyranid kibble. It just describes them as one of the most common officially sanctioned abhuman races.

It was also in 6th ed. Which I was stoked about as I had started a Squat IG army after acquiring a bunch of them.

Ben_S
06-29-2014, 11:24 AM
I never thought the 'eaten by Tyranids' story made much sense anyway. Aren't Squat homeworlds in the centre of the galaxy? And aren't the 'Nid hive fleets arriving from outside of the galaxy and therefore primarily attacking the fringes? Anyway, even if the Tyranids got the home worlds, there would still be many Squats scattered throughout the galaxy.

What I find more interesting is the stuff about Cadia, Valhalla, and Mordia. I've never owned any IG Codex, but I do still have the WDs from 2nd edition when these regiments were first released. Is this a new addition to the fluff or just something I'd forgotten?

mathhammer
06-29-2014, 06:00 PM
the tyranids are arriving from the top and bottom of the galaxy like a giant mouth closing. So they can eat any planet.

Jason Young
07-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Don't say that..! We could use some space dwarves..:p

I do find Beastmen to be kind of a weird addition to the mix though, but whatever...

Johan
07-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Reads like a fake, phrasing is of for gw. Shame though

Lord-Boofhead
07-02-2014, 12:24 PM

I do find Beastmen to be kind of a weird addition to the mix though, but whatever...

Its ok he's full of crap. Squats have just been rewound to their Early Rogue Trader era fluff, just Abhumans, no independent Homeworlds, favoured recruits for the IG.

- - - Updated - - -

Page 29 White Dwarf 11 (new format)

Copied out of a digital version.

The Dark Millennium book says other wise and as far as canon supremacy goes it trumps WD.

- - - Updated - - -

Reads like a fake, phrasing is of for gw. Shame though

Why is it a shame do you hate Squats?

Mud Duck
07-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Beastmen have been in the lore from the begining, even have IG Sergent with a chainsword, plasma pistol and carpace. The whole idea kinda faded in to the background as more a mutant/chaos thing with a quick blip in a White Dwarf on stable mutants. Cloven hoves are a sign of chaos or evil, and thing else merely a sign of mutation, so not so evil.

alpharious
07-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Ogrnys and ratlings are barely allowed how the hell do beastmen not get killed off......

This Dave
07-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Ogrnys and ratlings are barely allowed how the hell do beastmen not get killed off......

In the new Dark Millenium background book is says that Beastmen are in danger of losing their Abhuman status and being classed as Mutants. They are already prohibited from being sent as levies for the Guard.

Jason Young
07-03-2014, 11:22 PM
In the new Dark Millenium background book is says that Beastmen are in danger of losing their Abhuman status and being classed as Mutants. They are already prohibited from being sent as levies for the Guard.

Hmm.. so just because they are more mutated than squats and Ogrnys that makes it so Beastmen can't be levied? Better watch out or the Tau will put them to work...:eek:

This Dave
07-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Hmm.. so just because they are more mutated than squats and Ogrnys that makes it so Beastmen can't be levied? Better watch out or the Tau will put them to work...:eek:

I'd like to see them return as chaos cultist types myself. Though maybe with AM Conscript stats as they literally are unwashed masses.

Lord-Boofhead
08-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Actually they can be levied they just don't count towards minimum/obligatory levy.

This Dave
08-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Actually they can be levied they just don't count towards minimum/obligatory levy.

I have a feeling that if a bunch of Beastmen showed up for muster along with the acceptable tithe of men the Departmento Munitorum representatives and members of the Commissarriat present would order the newly inducted Guardsmen to use their newly issued Lasguns and remove that rabble from the staging area.

40kGamer
08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Beastmen have been in the lore from the begining, even have IG Sergent with a chainsword, plasma pistol and carpace. The whole idea kinda faded in to the background as more a mutant/chaos thing with a quick blip in a White Dwarf on stable mutants. Cloven hoves are a sign of chaos or evil, and thing else merely a sign of mutation, so not so evil.

Yes sir! I happily use mine in the IG... his carapace armour has the double headed eagle for Emperor's sake! :)