PDA

View Full Version : spore mines and tank shock

kire
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
if a group of spore mines come down and i (the non nid player) deploy a rhino in front of them and on the first turn tank shock the one furthest from me there by moving past all of them what happens to the spore mines?

rle68
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
if a group of spore mines come down and i (the non nid player) deploy a rhino in front of them and on the first turn tank shock the one furthest from me there by moving past all of them what happens to the spore mines?

i wouldnt be able to answer that without knowing what the new rules for spore mines are...

Cruor Vault
01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
An interesting question. It would appear that by strictest RAW interpretation, none of the mines detonate unless you wind up within their detonation distance. Realistically though I think they would detonate as soon as the front of the vehicle passed through their space. I recommend playing as follows.

Declare tank shock
Move the tank into contact with the 1st mine.
Resolve the Explosion.
Rinse and repeat until the tank shock is done.

I think there is more too this, but its getting into weird Order of Operations/RAW idiocy where the mines can be pushed around by the tank without detonating.

TSINI
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
lol at rle68, what was the point of that...

cruor vault has the most sensible answer there, looking at the spore mine entry, it does state that the mine will explode if it "touches an enemy model"

i would assume in a tank shock that the tank would come into contact with each spore mine as it drives through, so it would make sense to work out detonating each one against it's hull in turn.

TSINI
the point is if your going to ask a rules question its kinda nice if you post the rules entry for the unit in questions thanks

lol I dnt think GW would be happy about that to be honest

rle68
the point is if your going to ask a rules question its kinda nice if you post the rules entry for the unit in questions thanks

DarkLink
01-18-2010, 08:02 PM
lol I dnt think GW would be happy about that to be honest

Right, don't post large quantities of actual rules. Quoting portions of rules is ok if you need to. But you shouldn't just copy and paste large sections of any rulebook and post it.

rle68
01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
no one said post the entire section, but if there is a series of text that says what the unit does for the move in question it is neccessary to post the text when asking the question.

pelmen78
01-20-2010, 09:57 PM
An interesting question. It would appear that by strictest RAW interpretation, none of the mines detonate unless you wind up within their detonation distance. Realistically though I think they would detonate as soon as the front of the vehicle passed through their space. I recommend playing as follows.

Declare tank shock
Move the tank into contact with the 1st mine.
Resolve the Explosion.
Rinse and repeat until the tank shock is done.

I think there is more too this, but its getting into weird Order of Operations/RAW idiocy where the mines can be pushed around by the tank without detonating.

I don't think there is any more to this, actually. Tank Shock (pg 68, fyi) clearly states that you can contact enemy units, except for vehicles. Spore Mines never fall back, so they detonate harmlessly, unless you're armor on the front. I think living bomb explosion upon contact supercedes the need to take a morale test.
Also, even if they did need to make a morale test, the likelihood of them passing is miniscule (snake eyes only), so we have them in a position like the fexes out of synapse in the previous edition before the FAQ, where they would stand in place if they blew their synapse leadership test.