PDA

View Full Version : Parasite of Mortrex and Rippers?

Cruor Vault
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
After reading the "Implant Parasite" and "the Sarge is acting Strangely..." special rules for this character I think GW meant to use the word wound instead of base. Anybody else thinking the same?

Against anything with T3 and a 4+ or worse save the Parasite will create roughly half its original cost in rippers per player turn from CC attacks alone.

Sam
01-18-2010, 03:45 PM
No, I do not think GW meant to say "wound" instead of "base". I also think it is a silly conclusion to jump to.

Statistically it will only produce 3 ripper swarms on the charge, and it should be noted that it is unlikely to get a first turn assault. Also, it should be noted that rippers suck. The only thing that makes them good with the parasite is the fact that they are free.

Tacoo
01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
ya im pretty sure they ment base. i just wish that the creation of rippers also caused ID, but i guess somehow rippers eating there way out of your body is less devastating then taking a melta to the face.

AbusePuppy
01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
You might want to read the Parasite's entry again: you only get chances at Rippers for each model removed as a casualty. Rending Claws + Implant Attack does mean that he can randomly kill just about anything, but...

In regards to him producing wounds instead of bases: how would that even work? Why would you even think that was right? The only forces he can actually do anything to (Tau/IG) can easily shoot them to death, and against most other armies you're unlikely to get more than one or maybe two bases each player turn, even assuming they don't just single him out in CC and beat him to death (T4 and no invuln, folks). Under ideal circumstances, he is a mediocre Tervigon that produces non-scoring units that can't shoot. Good lord.

Still, I love the dude and I and going to enjoy sending him with a pack of twenty Gargoyles to annoy the heck out of my opponents. I love him so much, in fact, that he gets his own theme song.

(Sung to the tune of "The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers)
The most horrible thing about Rippers
Is Rippers are horrible things!
Their bodies are made out of Guardsmen
And their backs can be done up with wings!
They mighty, nite-y, bitey, flighty,
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most horrible thing about Rippers
Is that you never fight just one!
Rippers are horrible monsters
Rippers are mindless beasts
And if you don't start running right now
They'll make you into feasts!
S~o...

Is that Rippers will eat you alive!
They'll devour your flesh and your bones, son
And not one of you will ever survive!
They're really, kill-y, silly, will-y
Fun, fun, fun, fun fun!
Is you never see just one!
Yes, you never see just on~ne!

Right, I'm out for the night. Don't forget to tip the waitresses.

BuFFo
01-21-2010, 11:53 AM
It's base.

gcsmith
01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
um rippers are scoring

AbusePuppy
01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
um rippers are scoring

Oh, isn't that cute, it thinks it's people!

Grotzooka
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
(Sung to the tune of "The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers)
Is Rippers are horrible things!
Their bodies are made out of Guardsmen
And their backs can be done up with wings!
They mighty, nite-y, bitey, flighty,
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
Is that you never fight just one!
Rippers are horrible monsters
Rippers are mindless beasts
And if you don't start running right now
They'll make you into feasts!
S~o...

Is that Rippers will eat you alive!
They'll devour your flesh and your bones, son
And not one of you will ever survive!
They're really, kill-y, silly, will-y
Fun, fun, fun, fun fun!
Is you never see just one!
Yes, you never see just on~ne!

This is the best thing I have read all week.

Ferro
01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
@gcsmith: please consult p90.

I know. It frustrates me to no end that any single piece of information I need has to be cross-referenced at least four times. GW writes in the tradition of 'Choose your own adventure' novels.

Fizyx
01-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah, page 90 of the BRB makes things very clear. Doesn't matter as you would need something in Synapse anyways to keep them from going to instinctive behavior.

edit: also you are awesome, AB.

BuFFo
01-22-2010, 12:17 AM
@gcsmith: please consult p90.

I know. It frustrates me to no end that any single piece of information I need has to be cross-referenced at least four times. GW writes in the tradition of 'Choose your own adventure' novels.

The rules are more clear than you can see.

Drakkan Vael
01-22-2010, 04:39 AM
The rules are more clear than you can see.

At least that's what you claim.
Maybe some others do not share your opinion.

TSINI
01-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Ab, that song is hysterical. if my sig was big enough I'd put that there haha

Also Cheers for the chuckle ferro, "choose your own adventure novels" pretty much describes the new codex style.

Renegade
01-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Having played against the Parasite, I would definitely advise against under estimating how quickly you can find yourself surrounded by rippers. I guessing my friend rolled lucky.

I'm going to have that damn song in my head all day now.

BuFFo
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
At least that's what you claim.
Maybe some others do not share your opinion.

Base is Base.

It can't be more clear than that.

NeilBrimelow
02-21-2010, 02:58 AM
This is the best thing I have read all week.

AB, you REALLY need to check out this comic. It's practically what you wrote about the POM :D

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ptero

NeilBrimelow
02-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Okay, like most of the ambiguously written codex, I have a problem understanding the Parasite of Mortex's "Implant Parasite" rule.

Rule:

For each model removed because of wounds inflicted by the POM make a toughness test, blah, blah, blah.

FOR EACH TEST FAILED, ROLL A D6. At the end of the assault phase place a ripper swarm unit equal to the sum total of ALL OF THE DICE ROLLED.

So this means if I get REALLY lucky and kill four doods and then they fail their toughness tests AND I roll 6,6,6,6, that means I get 24 ripper bases, assuming they all can be placed within six inches and that I have enough models?!:confused::eek:

If this is the case, then this model is officially awesome! If it turns out that the POM can only create a max of 4 ripper swarms per assault phase then he's ZZZZ. BUT he's still good for synapse and against outflankers.

Lastly, what is a toughness test?

Let's say I kill a Trygon with a POM (unlikely, but possible) His T=6, so does he auto pass, or only fail on six? Or would he only fail on a one?

What about T7 or T8 (or higher)

What if I inflict ONE wound one a Trygon in HTM, but the Trygon also sustains five other (unsaved) wounds from gargoyles in the same unit? Would I get to roll at least one die (and thus get up to six ripper bases). The rule doesn't say that they POM has to inflict all the wounds.

Ferro
02-21-2010, 09:00 AM
For characteristic tests, like this Toughness test, a 6 is auto-fail. A T3 model would have to roll 4+ to fail. The parasite really shines against low-toughness enemies (especially ones without a lot of S8 powerweapons).

You got the math right, above. In one of my tournament games, the Parasite generated about 35 ripper bases over the course of the game, all from CC casualties (no outflankers that game). Hilarious.

It works against you though. In killpoint games, you're generating free KPs; in objective games, the rippers can't score). Still, hilarious.

BuFFo
02-21-2010, 09:31 AM
So this means if I get REALLY lucky and kill four doods and then they fail their toughness tests AND I roll 6,6,6,6, that means I get 24 ripper bases, assuming they all can be placed within six inches and that I have enough models?!:confused::eek:

Yes.