PDA

View Full Version : invisibility and weapons that hit on a specific number

Hapes
06-24-2014, 12:18 AM
So invisibility says melee attacks hit on 6s.
A model like kharn for instance has a weapon that always hits on 2s.

what take precedence? The weapon or the spell.
i say the spell but don't really have anything to back that up but gut feeling

John Bower
06-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Normally in such a situation GW say neither, you randomise it by rolling a dice; 1-3 the invis, 4-6 Betrayer. :)

Turner
06-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Interesting, if only there was some sort of rule that would explain such a thing... aka where's Tynskel when you need him?

Step 1:
(this one is hard)
READ THE RULES!

Step 2:
READ THE FAQs

Step 3:

Step 4:
Profit!

In the beginning of the 7th Ed rule book I believe there is something along the lines of Advanced versus Basic. (Not Codex overrules Main Rule Book)

IF this is true, THEN in this specific instance (Kharn fighting an invisible unit) the more advanced rules (Kharn from whatever codex he is from) would overrules the requirement of needing to hit on 6's (from the main rulebook) due to invisibility.

Wolfshade
06-24-2014, 07:25 AM
One Rule to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.

pg. 13

"On rare occasions, a conflict will arise between a rule in this rulebook, and one printed in a codex. Where this occurs, the rule printed in the codex or army list entry always takes preccedence."

So, the codex (Gorechild) rules trump rulebook (invisible)

While searching this I found another interesting rule that I had overlooked, which in this case does not matter:

pg. 17

"You'll occasionally find that two or more rules are to be resovled at the same time... when this happens, and the wording is not explicit as to which rule is resovled first, then the player whose turn it is chooses the order"

Which is quite interesting, so advantage would be with the player turn, e.g. alternating between 2s and 6s depending on whose turn it was. Though as said previously, the rule on page 13 makes it clear that codex wins.

Archon
06-24-2014, 02:23 PM
I would dare to say, that pg. 17 will be in charge, because pg. 13 talk of a single rule, wich has different wordings in RB and in codex. It goes not in the conflict between two different rules, wich will cancel or effect each other.

From a fluff-point of view, i would say, that kharn hits the invisibil unit on 6es he may be extremly good in cc but not so good that he will hit invisibil opponents with the same easy as normal ones. Okay fluffwise he should hit a invisible opp. better as anyone else ... say 5+ :cool:

Allen Broussard
07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Wolf tooth necklace (hit on 3's) and Kharns axe (hit on 2's) take precedence over invisibility.

Its a general (all melee hits on 6's) vs. specific ruling.

If your opponent continues to argue however, i suggest just doing with either a roll off or by player turn.

John Bower
07-01-2014, 04:11 PM
I suppose you could take some evidence from overwatch; where a weapon that hits automatically still hits automatically; over-riding the hit on 6's that is normally used.

Harley
07-01-2014, 04:47 PM
I suppose you could take some evidence from overwatch; where a weapon that hits automatically still hits automatically; over-riding the hit on 6's that is normally used.

Actually, things that hit automatically cannot be used to make snap shots, and thus cannot overwatch or fire at flyers. At least that's how it seemed to work in 6th edition. A deathray would be able to hit an Invisible model, but by virtue of not targeting them in the first place.