PDA

View Full Version : I'm worse than Columbo with 'just one last thing'.

Mr Mystery
06-22-2014, 06:46 AM
But hey, both my eyes are my own and I don't wear a dirty mac.

Anyways.

X-Wing - Do the game mechanics have a breaking point, where it just gets a wee bit messy? I often see people going on about 100 point lists (which mean little to me!), and that seems the average. But does it scale upwards nicely?

I'm totally expecting a stopping point, very very few tactical games don't have one, but just poking my nose in here.

Also just filled my Amazon shopping basket, ready for tomorrow. 2 x Core Games, 2 x TIE Interceptors (my favourite TIE!), 1 x Y-Wing and 1 x A-Wing.

Hoping that provides enough variety to be going on with.

Deadlift
06-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Not really, no breaking point. 100 pts is where the game is at mostly, but I've played 250 a side size games a few times. Just as much fun just play on a bigger area.

Your basket looks about right, but have a good look at B-Wings next time around. They are awesome.

Mr Mystery
06-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Groovy.

Somewhat looking forward to getting started, and I've bagsied the Imperials for me.

About the only ship I'm not sold on is the Hawk. Just looks silly to my eyes. And I reckon a £60ish budget every month ought to see me get a decent collection pretty quickly.

Deadlift
06-22-2014, 08:07 AM
I don't have the Hwk either, don't like it although it's supposed to be a good support ship. Imperial Aces is a good buy as well as the Slave 1. I bought 2 boxes of each and I'm glad I did. But the humble bog standard Tie is my favourite. Some of the pilot cards are great but even the humble Academy pilot in numbers is good.

Mr Mystery
06-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Gonna leave the biggerer bits until I've got to grips with the game itself. There's still no guarantee I'll enjoy playing it, so just going for a fair spread to start with, and ships that should the worst happen, I can fairly easily sell on. Bit negative I know, but best to be safe than sorry.

On the plus side, when I enjoy the game, it's a whole new hobby to ignore interwebular 'common wisdom' on, and just enjoy :p

captjagged
06-23-2014, 10:20 AM
I told myself the same thing when I started to amass my now-gigantic fleet. "Start small, I haven't even played it yet," that sort of thing. As cool as I thought the ships were, actually playing with them has been my favorite game I've tried in the last year or two, hands-down. Typical caveats, of course, it depends on who you play with, social contract to have fun, etc etc.

If it helps you at all, my group and I found that our first mistake with the game was jumping right into all the fancy ships with full load-outs. We very quickly went back to just playing 1 basic X-Wing and 2 basic TIEs, like in the starter rules, for a few games to get our heads around the rules. Best choice we've ever made, I feel like now I get the maneuvering bit of the game better than I would have if I immediately had ten different kinds of ship to worry about pushing around.

Mr Mystery
06-24-2014, 03:01 AM
Looks like I also have a group now!

About 8 of us are either existant players, or noobs like myself. All piling round Effing Enormous Simon's on 26 July for a bit of a drink, and a few dogfights (man, taken out of context that looks really bad!).

Currently resisting spending even more.....but I really, really want a pair of TIE Phantoms.

Mr Mystery
06-24-2014, 03:16 AM
Yeah. K.

Now ordered 2 x TIE Phantoms, and 2 x E-Wings.

But I don't have a problem.

captjagged
06-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Sure, you can stop any time you want, right? :)

I'm picking up my wave 4 ships today, I think, pretty darn excited to crack them open.