PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Mantle of the Laughing God makes a Solitaire

JMichael
06-19-2014, 12:11 PM
I keep seeing references to Eldar army lists including a Solitaire. This seems to be that giving a model the 'Mantle of the Laughing God' makes them a Solitaire?

Where in the lore does the Solitaire wear a Mantle of the Laughing God?
The Solitaire plays the part of Slaanesh, and I find no reference in our Eldar Codex to the Mantle and Solitaire.

Totally possible I'm missing something, or is this just a misconception? Is it just that the Mantle makes the Character unable to join a unit and thus solo (like a Solitaire)?
Seems strange that a character that plays the role of Slaanesh would done the Mantle of the Laughing God.

Thaldin
06-19-2014, 12:26 PM
I think what you're looking for is... "Giving a character the Mantle of the Laughing God makes them play like a Solitaire"... not actually in fluff make them a Solitaire =)

-- Edit --

Give the model solitaire-like tactics and stats

Eldar_Atog
06-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Is it just that the Mantle makes the Character unable to join a unit and thus solo (like a Solitaire)?
Seems strange that a character that plays the role of Slaanesh would done the Mantle of the Laughing God.

Yeah, that was the way I looked at the mantle. It allowed me to use an Autarch as a solitaire type character.

JMichael
06-19-2014, 12:41 PM
I see. I completely agree with 'Solitaire-like tactics', and wish that either that phrase was used. Or better yet, just leave the term Solitaire out of it because it still doesn't give the model any Harlequin stats, equipment, or abilities. Really nothing Harlequn about it.
+++Rant Done+++

Morgrim
06-19-2014, 11:04 PM
I have to agree. After reading about Motley in Mask of Vyle and seeing the way he as a Solitare actually fights when he cuts loose it bears no similarity to a character wearing the Mantle of the Laughing God. Hell, if anything that's what the leader of the troop fights like, not the Solitare.

daboarder
06-19-2014, 11:34 PM
it is the closest current representation for the old solitaire rules from the Harlequin codex. That combined with the fact that fans love the solitaire then its an obvious nickname

Archon Charybdis
06-22-2014, 12:37 PM
I have to agree. After reading about Motley in Mask of Vyle and seeing the way he as a Solitare actually fights when he cuts loose it bears no similarity to a character wearing the Mantle of the Laughing God.

Motley is a pretty radical departure from the established Solitaire lore. Solitaires have always been depicted as solitary (go figure) and unnerving to be around for other Harlequins, kind of like that one type of Imperial Assassin.

Hell, if anything that's what the leader of the troop fights like, not the Solitare.

Not sure how that follows. The troupe leader, instead of leading, goes off and single-handedly fights enemies completely detached from his forces? The MotLG pretty well approximates the old Solitaire rules--single model that moves really fast, is hard to hit, and hits with a lot of attacks at high WS and I.

-Tom-
06-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Using an unbound list, so not worrying about force org's, you might be better off using an imperial assassin of a certain type, tweaked with certain war gear choices to represent a solitaire instead.