PDA

View Full Version : steam tank worth the points

Majorcrash
01-17-2010, 11:08 AM
first i have to admit i havent played WHFB since the the beginning of this edition. But have been playing since 3rd ed. I played in a tournament and played against a Goblin army, wood elves and Dark Elves. My score was 1/1/1. In the first battle the tank mainly served as a terror causing road block for the goblins. By games end my tank was down to 3 wounds. The second battle went completely different, but mainly because I setup wrong. I got to close to the treeman instead of marching down the middle and taking on all the shooters. by games end treeman bash it to pieces. The third game went my way all the way, although in 3 games my cannon never managed to hit a thing. I did manage to charge and run down maneous manflayer or what ever his name. by games end the tank was down to 2 wounds left.
I guess my question is that GW has made the toughness less and how does it fight in Close cmbt. If I use all my steam points in my turn then on the next turn I have to stand there and take it. but it still costs 300 pnts. Also where did the hel blaster version go?

hyrion
01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
The problem with assigning a point cost to the steam tank is that it is capable of creating alot of havoc and inflicting
alot of damage on your opponent. At the same time it can be very tempermental and spend entire games breaking down or misfiring and never really contribute to the outcome of the game. Couple of examples from my experience.

1. Flank charge saurus temple guard and slann unit and broke them. Tha was great i watched about a 1000 points run off the table.

2. Malfunctioned in front of Grimgor Ironhide. He choped the tank up in 2 turns w/7 strenght 7 attacks per turn.

Maybe GW erred on the side of caution and priced the unit while considering its' huge potential.

Bean
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
It's temperamental, sure, but its potential output is huge, it's extremely versatile, and it's very tough. Plus, it does something that the Empire army has trouble with (crushing stuff in melee) and does it on a platform that has a cannon which can sit back and contribute to your gunline when appropriate.

The steam tank isn't perfect, but it's absolutely worth its cost. There's really nothing in the book which compares.

Lord Azaghul
01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
The steam tank isn't perfect, but it's absolutely worth its cost. There's really nothing in the book which compares.

Agreed. The 2 steam tank, waralter army is one of the few that gives daemons I bit of a struggle.

Btw: volley gun got nerf. Hard.

joescalise
04-22-2010, 06:05 AM
I love steam tanks and hate to face them. They can kill just about anything and are hard to kill. A lot of people will spend a lot of miniatures each turn to kill it and that leaves the rest of your army free to hit back.

Joker's Wild
04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
The steam is easily worth it's points and then some. Anyone who argues otherwise just hasn't had enough experience to know better.

bubafett
05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry this is late but just registered. The Stank is VERY worth its points. What alot of people dont realize thats so good about it is that it is a war machine so in order for your opponent to get points for it at all is to kill it outright, no half points. So thats 10 wounds that you have to do to a model thats T6 and 1+ save. Plus like otheres said people like to throw more stuff at it then really needed and distracts from rest of your army. If I were to play Empire I would have at least 1 in every list.

Old_Paladin
05-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I think this discussion should go in a different direction at this point (hope no one minds).
The question should be will the Stank be worth its points (in 8th).

The tactics are likelt going to change (if rumors are true).
There will be new upsides: the steam cannon template will cause a lot more hits, since partial seems to be gone. And the cannon should be more accurate, if guessing ranges is being dropped.

However: it likely won't be able to break ranks, if the need for 10+ rankandfile models is true.
Terror is likely to become a weaker influence.
It will also eat up most of your rare percentage (although it's cost and the low number of rare slots in this edition, means this probable won't change much; except for no more 2 Stank armies).

And lastly; with changes in victory conditions: It's 300 points that cannot claim objectives.

Bean
05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
It is clearly too soon to decide whether it's gong to be good in Eighth. Wait till Eighth actually comes out, then look at it again. It might change, and it might not, but the rumors we've gotten so far are absolutely not sufficient for that determination.

Truxio
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
My Stank is Always either poo or Amazing. Sometimes they hit and roll a flank or some huge unit, rest of the time I roll 6s whilst trying to get 5 steam point and hurt myself. Then they do that for three more turns and it's a waste of points.
But I'm a "go big or go home" kinda player. I always go for max steam points.

I'm only using experience from 8th Ed.

doom-kitten
03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
A little confused here the last opponent I played used the steamtank and told me the Empire 8th ED FAQ stated the tank was now toughness 10. I charged it with a stegadon and barely dented it (2 Wds) is it really T10 now?

Mazelf
03-03-2011, 10:48 PM
yes, you can always wound on a 6 tho

freddieyu
04-03-2011, 03:40 AM
The Stank is a staple in my empire list, and it is worth every point you spend on it....it's ability to tie up something really scary is what makes it valuable, and to prolong its life I use a lore of life wizard within 12" so that every successfully cast spell can heal wounds of it.